Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733130 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9450 on: March 02, 2014, 01:50:34 am »

I don't mind waiting if it means as many yams as there are gibbons. Maybe we're on track for another April Fool's release.

At this rate, even another April 1st doesn't seem happening any more.

Lessee... He's on the penultimate phase of development, no longer adding any new features, but fixing up the ones he started work on until they're in a releasable state.

Of these features, we know they consist of A) insurrections, which may be almost done, and B) NPC gardens and some new veggies. There may be other unfinished business, and finishing off each task may take anywhere from a few days to a week or three.

And then when all that's done there'll be a bugfix pass, in which the worst bugs and the low-hanging fruit are plucked until it's at least semi-playable.

Akin to economically viable fusion power, the Release always seems two months away. Fortunately, we're in a stage where the to-do list only shrinks, never growing. Last summer I cut down all the little trees -- most saplings, but one or two of which required a hacksaw -- between the barn and the garage, in about a 150- or 200-square-foot area, which had been growing there unharmed for ten or fifteen years. Cutting down one tree never felt like progress, but eventually, the task was done, the lot was clear. This feels analogous to that.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9451 on: March 02, 2014, 02:40:38 am »

I don't mind waiting if it means as many yams as there are gibbons. Maybe we're on track for another April Fool's release.

At this rate, even another April 1st doesn't seem happening any more.

Lessee... He's on the penultimate phase of development, no longer adding any new features, but fixing up the ones he started work on until they're in a releasable state.

Of these features, we know they consist of A) insurrections, which may be almost done, and B) NPC gardens and some new veggies. There may be other unfinished business, and finishing off each task may take anywhere from a few days to a week or three.

And then when all that's done there'll be a bugfix pass, in which the worst bugs and the low-hanging fruit are plucked until it's at least semi-playable.

Akin to economically viable fusion power, the Release always seems two months away. Fortunately, we're in a stage where the to-do list only shrinks, never growing. Last summer I cut down all the little trees -- most saplings, but one or two of which required a hacksaw -- between the barn and the garage, in about a 150- or 200-square-foot area, which had been growing there unharmed for ten or fifteen years. Cutting down one tree never felt like progress, but eventually, the task was done, the lot was clear. This feels analogous to that.

Tree murderer! This means war! :'(

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: March 02, 2014, 03:50:05 am »

Tree murderer! This means war! :'(

ELVES! RELEASE THE MAGMA!

*ahem*

I was expecting a new release this month. Now I am upset.  :(

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: March 02, 2014, 06:15:33 am »

Will there ever be wars between civilizations of the same race, like dwarven to dwarven war?

Will there every be ability to interact with more than one dwarven civilization, for instance, if I start a camp in another dwarven territory?

Will there every be ability to interact with more than one elven or human civilization if I start in the borderland between two civilizations or in a shared area?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: March 02, 2014, 06:44:48 am »

Will there ever be wars between civilizations of the same race, like dwarven to dwarven war?

Will there every be ability to interact with more than one dwarven civilization, for instance, if I start a camp in another dwarven territory?

Will there every be ability to interact with more than one elven or human civilization if I start in the borderland between two civilizations or in a shared area?

Ever? Yes. The first is getting close, the second and third should happen naturally once caravans are actual entities.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: March 02, 2014, 11:27:51 am »

Since right now wars happen because of ethic differences, civilizations of same entity won't fight. They don't have reason to fight. You could, however, make multiple dwarf entitys with same creature but different ethics.

I guess the next release will change this, if civilizations start to understand claims and other geopolitical motives instead of just solving their ethic problems.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9456 on: March 02, 2014, 12:07:34 pm »

I think there are fights between villages triggered by any sort of difference. There was a blog post talking about two villages fighting because one worshiped the God of life and the other the God of death.

Not sure if that counts as a war though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:12:59 pm by Parisbre56 »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9457 on: March 02, 2014, 01:32:16 pm »

Human villages fight with each other. Dwarven forts don't. Apparently dwarves are more tolerant of each other.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: March 02, 2014, 02:30:20 pm »

Unless New Fortresses are the source of new tension if everyone is from different traditions. Dwarves have all that Earth and Tradition between them normally.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: March 02, 2014, 10:56:15 pm »

I trust people like yams, in case they turn out to be the new gibbon.

I read this like it was a profession of how much Toady trusted people, and how he was once betrayed by a gibbon..?  Only now just got it, thanks to Putnam's explanation.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: March 03, 2014, 01:11:51 am »

New (and brief) devlog.

Spontaneous insurrections, hm, I guess like spreading rumors that the king is an evil, blade weed smoking, overlord (or some other sillyness) and getting the population to revolt?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: March 03, 2014, 06:03:06 am »

Or killing half an occupying force and then moving on, leaving the townsfolk to reassess whether they think they can now take down the occupiers that you've softened up.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: March 03, 2014, 10:08:30 am »

Quote from: Toady
The Power of Play talk went over well enough -- we should have a link once they post it.

Any word on this?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: March 03, 2014, 10:14:07 am »

Quote from: Toady
The Power of Play talk went over well enough -- we should have a link once they post it.

Any word on this?

They posted some photos on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/WINetwork ), but nothing about video yet.

Toady knows people are waiting for the videos.  I'm sure he'll link them in the devlog (or maybe on Twitter) as soon as they're available.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:17:08 am by Footkerchief »

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: March 03, 2014, 11:47:58 am »

As I was riding the train today and idly watching the ever changing scenery, at the sight of flooded plains I realized something: Dwarf Fortress does not appear to have something like seasonal flooding! That would be a major civilization building/wrecking feature (see Nile, Mesopotamia etc.). Embarking in flood plains would have a whole set of consequences - not only you likely have to deal with aquifer, you've got to protect yourself against floods! If the river overcomes its banks and finds its way into your fortress entrance... On the plus side, invaders would be disadvantaged.

On the minus (or plus, depending on your views) side, you'd deal with aquatic invaders... Oh, and dwarves could always use the opportunity to put that swimming skill to use.

Has seasonal/natural flooding been considered? Is there room for such a dynamic feature or are performance implications outweighting the benefits? While we're at it, what about other natural calamities that we've all experienced as of late (extreme snowstorms, ice-clad vegetation, major mudslides following heavy raining especially in deforested areas, major wildfires etc.)?
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 748