Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735822 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9810 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:27 pm »

That'd be unpleasant, since sativa ain't the one you smoke. Trust me, I'm from Washington.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: March 30, 2014, 10:59:11 pm »

That'd be unpleasant, since sativa ain't the one you smoke. Trust me, I'm from Washington.

Wikipedia says otherwise.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: March 30, 2014, 11:36:44 pm »

Oh hey, theres cotton in the list.

*reads list more*

Durian!

*reads more*

Grapes, Dwarven Chardonnay anyone?

*reads more*

Papyrus reeds, cool.

*reads more*

Lots of fruits I've never heard of, or seen before.

A couple questions:

Some of the new plants such as cotton, hemp (yes the fibers of marjuana were used), flax, and jute suggest new textiles, so, is it true that we will have new fabrics?

I see papyrus in there, will we be able to make paper right now? Though I guess modders could incorporate Papyrus into some sort of reaction recipe and make paper out of that. It does suggest being able to make paper later on.

Now that we have real world fruits, etc, what will happen to the other ones (aside from the underground crops) which were basically analogs to real world crops? Like will bloated tubers become potatoes or something?

Now that we have that smell thing, I don't suppose Durian will have that intense smell that it has? Never smelled it myself in real life though, but I've heard of it.

Edit: I notice that coconuts aren't in, yet you mentioned them in a devlog last july, what happened to those?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:57:48 pm by smjjames »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: March 31, 2014, 12:07:22 am »

I'm not really understanding the name choices here.

Goya is called "bitter melon", which is more a description than a name and not something I've ever heard it called, while starfruit is called "carambola" which is not as cool a name and also something I've never heard it called in English.  What is the naming convention here? Whatever it is, it makes no sense.

Also, I'm a bit surprised cacao didn't make the cut, since coffee and tea were in without their mechanics.

What kind of thought process went into choosing plants for inclusion? What about the names you chose to call them in DF?

It's not the only one you smoke, but you can definitely smoke it.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9814 on: March 31, 2014, 12:09:21 am »

Some of the new plants such as cotton, hemp (yes the fibers of marjuana were used), flax, and jute suggest new textiles, so, is it true that we will have new fabrics?

I see papyrus in there, will we be able to make paper right now? Though I guess modders could incorporate Papyrus into some sort of reaction recipe and make paper out of that. It does suggest being able to make paper later on.
Whatever can be plugged into a current production method is probably reasonable to expect. Undone things in the devlog (coffee, tea, tapioca) imply new cooking methods that would need to be added.

Edit: I notice that coconuts aren't in, yet you mentioned them in a devlog last july, what happened to those?
The wood template for the current palm tree is based on the red/coconut palm, so coconuts likely got added there.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: March 31, 2014, 12:57:28 am »

Also, I'm a bit surprised cacao didn't make the cut, since coffee and tea were in without their mechanics.

Cacao is already in the game, as a tree in broadleaf and tropical forests.  Unfortunately, I had to change it from a tree to a shrub in my mod, to make its (mod-added) cacao pods harvestable.

Could we have cacao as a shrub instead of a plant, so we can harvest cacao pods from it, without modding the basic plant type to be a shrub, and therefore harvestable?  OR, are trees now harvestable [EDIT: as a source of food or other material, not just wood] (as another example, coconuts from palms?)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:43:52 am by catenate »
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9816 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:45 am »

Trees are harvestable.

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: March 31, 2014, 01:38:18 am »

Trees are harvestable.

Were they before 0.34?  I seem to remember having a problem designating a product of harvesting a tree.  If they were not harvestable before 0.34, then I just didn't check again when 0.34 came out.  If they were harvestable before 0.34, then I just completely dropped the ball.

EDIT: Actually, for my purposes, the wiki disagrees with you:

Trees are currently not a source of food or other material, so it is not possible to harvest mangoes, maple syrup, nuts, rubber, etc.v0.34.11
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:42:11 am by catenate »
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9818 on: March 31, 2014, 01:47:33 am »

I meant that they're harvestable in DF2014

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: March 31, 2014, 01:52:31 am »

I meant that they're harvestable in DF2014

This is great!  My mod won't need to change cacao's type of plant, when I update it to DF2014.  Thanks!

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: March 31, 2014, 05:32:09 am »

Maybe there will be more dwarfy plants next. or Elfy ones also.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9821 on: March 31, 2014, 05:46:50 am »

That plant list looks really promising and if Toady doesn't utilize it to its full potential, I'm sure modders will.
What are we left with in regards to the finalizations anyway?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: March 31, 2014, 06:09:24 am »

Will there be any 'fantasy' plants added as well?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: March 31, 2014, 06:12:11 am »

Now that we have that smell thing, I don't suppose Durian will have that intense smell that it has? Never smelled it myself in real life though, but I've heard of it.

I've lived in China for more than a year. One of my coworkers (and for a short time, roommate) used to bring durian into work and microwave it to eat for lunch. Fortunately I was in a different room, but my other workers wouldn't stop complaining about the intense smell that you could smell even in the hallway.

Goya is called "bitter melon", which is more a description than a name and not something I've ever heard it called, while starfruit is called "carambola" which is not as cool a name and also something I've never heard it called in English.  What is the naming convention here? Whatever it is, it makes no sense.

Again having lived in China, I've never seen or heard of it called "goya"; "bitter melon" predominates as the translation at least there (and it's a direct cognate with the Chinese 苦瓜). My girlfriend is Hakka and her family often uses it in cooking (I'm not a fan though, haha).
I agree about the starfruit though. Never heard of "carambola".

EDIT: I also had a question: This list adds 132 new plant species, making the number of varieties over 6 times greater. Given how complicated food/drink/textile/etc. production already is, how will players (especially novices) be able to figure out just what plant does what? What will prevent players from throwing a tantrum themselves due to the sheer scope of different flora?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:18:50 am by CharonM72 »
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9824 on: March 31, 2014, 06:18:18 am »

I've lived in China for more than a year. One of my coworkers (and for a short time, roommate) used to bring durian into work and microwave it to eat for lunch. Fortunately I was in a different room, but my other workers wouldn't stop complaining about the intense smell that you could smell even in the hallway.

Again having lived in China, I've never seen or heard of it called "goya"; "bitter melon" predominates as the translation at least there (and it's a direct cognate with the Chinese 苦瓜). My girlfriend is Hakka and her family often uses it in cooking (I'm not a fan though, haha).
I agree about the starfruit though. Never heard of "carambola".

It is in its scientific name.  Carambola also is the name its is known in many countries.
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 748