Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733787 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9915 on: April 02, 2014, 04:03:04 pm »

Do members of a race all get the same SMELL_TRIGGER, or is it individualized? Can it be improved? (Since it can in real life.)
Is it going to be affected by genetics?
[...]

What affects the ODOR_LEVEL?

ODOR_LEVEL is assigned to a creature type in the raws.  At most, you can make it caste-specific.  The only way to alter an individual's ODOR_LEVEL would be via a syndrome.  That means no genetic component (remember, this is a quick and dirty system).

The smell system allow for detection of corpses and carrion? I'm asking not with undead in mind, but with normal corpses and miasma.

The devlog's specific mention of "animated corpses" suggests that only creatures will emit smells, not items.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:05:09 pm by Footkerchief »

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: April 02, 2014, 04:04:19 pm »

Do members of a race all get the same SMELL_TRIGGER, or is it individualized? Can it be improved? (Since it can in real life.)
Is it going to be affected by genetics?
[...]

What affects the ODOR_LEVEL?

ODOR_LEVEL is assigned to a creature type in the raws.  At most, you can make it caste-specific.  The only way to alter an individual's ODOR_LEVEL would be via a syndrome.  That means no genetic component (remember, this is a quick and dirty system).
Okay, thanks. I'm not a modder, so I wasn't entirely sure how that worked.

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: April 02, 2014, 04:07:02 pm »

Click link

Ctrl+F

"Papaver Somniferum"

Cant find....

Toady, for Gods sake, if you don't let me create a fortress-like poppy farm, I might do it in real life, would you like that? Would you?

On a more serious note: Papaver Somniferum has high-protein seeds... and thousands of small seeds, its grown in many places for the seeds alone, to be used in cooking. Will there be anyway to properly mod plants that you grow for the seeds alone (of course wheat and rye would come in here too)? Like making a custom workshops that "uses" the fruit and produces only seeds.

Edit:
While reading more properly, it seems like this is already in, or am I mistaken? Seems to me like this is the case of both peanuts and peas, am I right?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm by Rapozk »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: April 02, 2014, 04:17:17 pm »

Will there be anyway to properly mod plants that you grow for the seeds alone (of course wheat and rye would come in here too)? Like making a custom workshops that "uses" the fruit and produces only seeds.

Wheat and rye are already in the crops file.  It would be easy to create a poppy-seed version:
Code: [Select]
[PLANT:RYE] Secale cereale
[...]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILL:PLANT_POWDER_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:rye flour]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:WHITE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:0:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:20]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[MILL:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:MILL]
[...]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:rye seed:rye seeds:0:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: April 02, 2014, 04:22:49 pm »

I noticed after I posted, thanks!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: April 02, 2014, 04:26:18 pm »

Here is the followup on raws:

Critters:

[SMELL_TRIGGER:50] how good is your nose?  low is better.  minimum 1, default is 50, humans set to 90 because they suck
[ODOR_LEVEL:50] how stinky are you?  zero = odorless, default is 50, smell_trigger greaterless than or equal to odor_level detects w/ wind
[ODOR_STRING:wet dog hair] <-- optional, displays race name (not caste name) if you don't provide a string
[LOW_LIGHT_VISION:100] bonus percentage, cannot penalize yet, default is zero, just throw in 10000 to make it perfect

Garden plants (the file names probably aren't entirely accurate with respect to what is in them):

Garden
Crops

Beetroot whiskey sounds better than beetroot wine IMO. Although according to wiki, Beetroot can be made into wine.

Maize beer, aka Moonshine right? :) Though that's probably the highly purified version.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: April 02, 2014, 04:33:01 pm »

Are there any plans to sort these new crops into some kind of cultural groups or similar, and will these in that case be constructed randomly or based on the real world? (possibly also inluding livestock at some point)

Having every civ have access to all crops will obviously be a bit much even with taking biome restrictions into account, although I get that we might have to live with that for this release at least. In the long run though some more diversity would of course be more interesting.

MisterB777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: April 02, 2014, 04:37:39 pm »

Thanks, Toady, I've been hoping to see those raws!

Oh the stews and roasts that will be created in my fortresses... :)  In looking through the raws for the new plants, I don't see any of them with this tag (the rocknuts->rocknut paste->rocknut oil reaction):

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:PRESS_LIQUID_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:OIL]

So, does this mean that the oil process is changing, or just that the new plants just aren't there yet?  Just curious if they are finalized for this release, or if I'm missing something else?

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:34 pm »

Toady, you implied that the new realistic plants will replace the old ones in the upcoming version. Will that include unusual plants like sun berries and silver barbs, that don't really have a real life equivalent? 

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: April 02, 2014, 05:38:30 pm »

Here is the followup on raws:

Critters:

[SMELL_TRIGGER:50] how good is your nose?  low is better.  minimum 1, default is 50, humans set to 90 because they suck
[ODOR_LEVEL:50] how stinky are you?  zero = odorless, default is 50, smell_trigger greaterless than or equal to odor_level detects w/ wind
[ODOR_STRING:wet dog hair] <-- optional, displays race name (not caste name) if you don't provide a string
[LOW_LIGHT_VISION:100] bonus percentage, cannot penalize yet, default is zero, just throw in 10000 to make it perfect

Does this mean we can smell which dwarves have not taken a bath recently?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: April 02, 2014, 05:48:28 pm »

Looks like smell is entirely controlled by raws, so bathing might not affect their smell at all.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: April 02, 2014, 06:37:11 pm »

Looks like smell is entirely controlled by raws, so bathing might not affect their smell at all.
Does seem like it from what I can see. Dwarves just have that natural scent. Of rock. And death. But mostly rock.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: April 02, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »

Toady, you implied that the new realistic plants will replace the old ones in the upcoming version. Will that include unusual plants like sun berries and silver barbs, that don't really have a real life equivalent? 

He basically said that it's up in the air in the response to my question which is pretty much what you're asking. Sun Berries already have their association with the elves, not to mention the best brew around, so those will probably stay.

Quote from: smjjames
Now that we have real world fruits, etc, what will happen to the other ones (aside from the underground crops) which were basically analogs to real world crops? Like will bloated tubers become potatoes or something?

That's an open question.  My thought was to scrap them, since the real-world ones are more interesting and I want to use that stronger diverse base of mechanics and potential mechanics as a place to generate random ones from eventually.  Generated plants can have more intricate ties to generated mythology than the made-up plants without constraining the game, I think, and it allows for more possibilities (and our made-up plants are crappy enough that they could all have easily been generated without decreasing the quality at all...).

All the same, they could end up dying a slow lingering death instead, and some might survive indefinitely.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: April 02, 2014, 07:02:38 pm »

I hear that the cave-in system will undergo large improvements.
Does this mean that creatures will be able to "attack" the ground? Perhaps a change encompassing mining?
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: April 02, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »

I hear that the cave-in system will undergo large improvements.
Does this mean that creatures will be able to "attack" the ground? Perhaps a change encompassing mining?

I haven't heard anything about changes to the cave-in system in the next version.
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 748