Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3737444 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9930 on: April 02, 2014, 07:12:32 pm »

The smell system allow for detection of corpses and carrion? I'm asking not with undead in mind, but with normal corpses and miasma.
And on that note, would a discerning nose be able to pick up the scent of blood?
The devlog's specific mention of "animated corpses" suggests that only creatures will emit smells, not items.
Okay, like from an injured creature or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:18:15 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

mattychan

• Bay Watcher
  • Less than dabbling DF Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: April 02, 2014, 07:21:45 pm »

Oh man I can only imagine the fun to be had in the new release. Hunters running around smelling stuff, just to jump onto a wall and climb it. I had a great new idea for a race too, I have been working on it the last few days. I'm so excited
If I ask a dumb question, please tell me. So we can bond over it.
Clearly egotistical. Moon Elves Rule!

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9932 on: April 02, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

Would Chia seeds be included in garden plants?

They have been used in history for food before, so maybe after scavenging around in a dry area, you make use of what grows naturally as well?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: April 02, 2014, 07:56:19 pm »

With the addition of many new real-world plants, Isn't this going to create a huge issue with the number of "different kinds of things"?  For example, in making cloth there are already 2 plant fibers, 3 wools, and up to 5 different silks.  Each kind of cloth gets listed separately as do garments made from them, taking up a great amount of space in item lists.  (And don't get me started on the infinity of Leather types...)  Add Cotton and Flax and now you have even more "Kinds of things".

Lists will no longer become useful or convenient ways of displaying information:
-It is one thing to see that you have 700 fruit. 
-It is quite another when you have
20 apples
14 pears
21 sun berries
8 prickle berries
17 nectarines
25 peaches
25 wolf peaches
25 tomatoes
5 lemons
14 oranges
6 grapefruit
6 grapes
42 white grapes
13 mangoes
3 papayas
2 bananas
2 plantains
1 durian
8 strawberries
19 pomegranates
7 watermelons
3 cantaloupes
3 musk melons
4 honeydews
6 plums
12 cherries
8 holly-leafed cherries
4 pawpaws
18 fisher berries
19 salmon berries
7 gooseberries
5 kiwis
45 kumquats
18 dates
33 acai berries
87 blueberries
23 cranberries
23 lingenberries
3 quinces
5 pineapples
4 pineapple quinces
10 juniper berries
8 bell peppers
9 chili peppers
36 loquats
24 passionfruit
(yes it adds up to 700.)
(But were we adding number or weight?  A discussion for another time and place...)

What happens when you can make
fruit salad,
fruit pie,
fruit smoothie,
fruit sorbet,
fruit jam,
fruit jelly,
fruit preserve,
fruit conserve,
fruit marmalade?

This quickly turns inventory management into an NxM problem, the magnitude of which I'm sure you can appreciate.

Or, for just a simpler and more mundane task, what if your task was to go to the fruit store and collect 100 fruit?  If you do it the quick and dirty way of always grabbing everything from the top of the list and work your way down, then you will be grabbing an awful lot of Apples and Pears to the neglect of everything else.  And if you do carefully choose your fruit, you're making a huge number of relatively meaningless decisions.

Also what happens when the time comes to spawn a piece of fruit into existence?  Are you going to have to navigate through 6 pages of fruit to find the specific type you want? 

What about if you have to set rules about which kinds of fruit are ok to brew, and which are ok to bake into pies?

Anyways my point is that increasing the number of different "Kinds of things" one has to deal with can degrade the usability and playability of the game.

Now for the question: How will the game, whose primary interface comprises of lists, handle the great increase in number of individual entries resulting from so many new plants.  Leather is already unmanageable, what will happen to seeds?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #9934 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:26 pm »

Looks like smell is entirely controlled by raws, so bathing might not affect their smell at all.
Does seem like it from what I can see. Dwarves just have that natural scent. Of rock. And death. But mostly rock.

LMAO!
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Charey Wolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9935 on: April 02, 2014, 08:26:26 pm »

Is it possible to give plants attack flags?

Crimson Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9936 on: April 02, 2014, 08:37:52 pm »

Is it possible to give plants attack flags?
I like where this thought is going.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: April 02, 2014, 08:41:38 pm »

With the addition of many real-world plants, and plant products, will there be any way to hang a revamped cooking industry on the improved culinary palette? For instance, I noticed that you included chickpeas; many regional dishes are made with chickpea, such as humus. There's also oats, and fruits, so breakfast muesli is also a possible product. Are there any plans to revamp the food preparation reaction to include a wider variety of possible food products, based on the source ingredients?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9938 on: April 02, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »

-snip-

While the variety of kind of leathers you rant about annoy me, you most probably won't have one item of everything in your fortress, ever. You have this kind of problem with meat too (you have one kind of meat for every animal) and it is never a hassle to keep count of your meat.

Someday Toady will have to do something to organize these lists, however.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9939 on: April 02, 2014, 08:59:02 pm »

For instance, I noticed that you included chickpeas; many regional dishes are made with chickpea, such as humus.

Do you mean hommus? If I recall correctly, humus is a type of organic soil...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: April 02, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »

-snip-

While the variety of kind of leathers you rant about annoy me, you most probably won't have one item of everything in your fortress, ever. You have this kind of problem with meat too (you have one kind of meat for every animal) and it is never a hassle to keep count of your meat.

Someday Toady will have to do something to organize these lists, however.
As with the present, when you look at the overall stats screen, it will probably list total "meat," "plants," "fish," and "prepared meals."

For instance, I noticed that you included chickpeas; many regional dishes are made with chickpea, such as humus.

Do you mean hommus? If I recall correctly, humus is a type of organic soil...
Humus is soil, but hummus is the food. It's the difference of an em.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: April 02, 2014, 10:31:33 pm »

-snip-
Brilliant, raws!

...hmm. None of these have GROWDUR tokens. And every single one has [SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]. Assuming these are finalized raws, the seasonal crops mod will need some serious updating. Are these finalized raws, or still subject to revision? It's not an important problem by any means; just wondering.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: April 02, 2014, 11:13:24 pm »

Here is the followup on raws:

Critters:

[SMELL_TRIGGER:50] how good is your nose?  low is better.  minimum 1, default is 50, humans set to 90 because they suck
[ODOR_LEVEL:50] how stinky are you?  zero = odorless, default is 50, smell_trigger greaterless than or equal to odor_level detects w/ wind
[ODOR_STRING:wet dog hair] <-- optional, displays race name (not caste name) if you don't provide a string
[LOW_LIGHT_VISION:100] bonus percentage, cannot penalize yet, default is zero, just throw in 10000 to make it perfect

Garden plants (the file names probably aren't entirely accurate with respect to what is in them):

Garden
Crops

Beetroot whiskey sounds better than beetroot wine IMO. Although according to wiki, Beetroot can be made into wine.

Maize beer, aka Moonshine right? :) Though that's probably the highly purified version.

Moonshine literally means "illegal liquor". I think you're thinking of corn whiskey, which was the most popular moonshine back in the day.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9943 on: April 02, 2014, 11:39:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's aware of the problem, Hans. He answered a question about it in his last FOTF just the other day:

Quote from: CharonM72
This list adds 132 new plant species, making the number of varieties over 6 times greater. Given how complicated food/drink/textile/etc. production already is, how will players (especially novices) be able to figure out just what plant does what? What will prevent players from throwing a tantrum themselves due to the sheer scope of different flora?

I haven't exactly been useful in any of the many aspects of the game in that respect.  If it seems to be even worse than the other stuff during testing (haven't loaded them up a fort to test production yet, though the raws are doneish), something basic may be done, but I'm not sure yet.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: April 02, 2014, 11:53:08 pm »

With the addition of many real-world plants, and plant products, will there be any way to hang a revamped cooking industry on the improved culinary palette? For instance, I noticed that you included chickpeas; many regional dishes are made with chickpea, such as humus. There's also oats, and fruits, so breakfast muesli is also a possible product. Are there any plans to revamp the food preparation reaction to include a wider variety of possible food products, based on the source ingredients?
Actually ToadyOne plans to make cooking even worse. He plants to reduce all booze to just one thing called Liquor, and all food, both raw and cooked to just Foodstuffs.

>.>
<.<
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 748