Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714694 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 03:45:27 pm »

If they don't need to eat, fat wouldn't have a purpose in their body... Do they like to be fat ?

It would probably be a fashion statement.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »

If they don't need to eat, fat wouldn't have a purpose in their body... Do they like to be fat ?
Without the need to eat, there is little need to do anything for that matter. :)
Assuming therefor that the purpose in a goblin's (un?)life is causing pain,
not staying alive, as is usual for living creatures.
Fatty tissue is a sort of armour, shielding more critical organs. Easier to gain and keep than muscle, less likely to cause lethal bleeding if cut. Protecting from the cold too. Plus in winter your buddies can set you on fire, melt the fat and create a nice hot greasefire to keep from freezing.
Gobbos are not bound by the laws of logic, reason, nature or the laws of dwarfkind for that matter, by Tautatis!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 04:23:36 pm »

They might not. I like to eat, but getting fat is an unfortunate effect of eating. I don't like being fat, but I still love to eat.

Granted differing cultures could determine which they are. A tribe of goblins in peace with a nearby civ might enjoy eating food for trade and view being fat as a sign of social status/wealth (or skill in bartering) whereas a tribe at war might view fat as being a hindrance and therefore unnecessary. Goblins, either way, strike me as too lazy to get skilled enough to produce their own food (perhaps because they do NOT NEED to eat, they simply lack the key motivator of being hungry), but instead get it through trade or more likely flat-out war which they view as less work. Considering their laziness they won't like to craft either so they'll still need to raid for crafts. Thus we end up with goblin cultures swinging between war and peace based on how easily they can obtain food.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 04:42:27 pm »

Should we expect races to have some form of link to magic in future releases?
ex dwarf enchanting and/or enhancing weapons and armor with materials. different then elf who might simply use runes. 

This is pretty much the future of artifacts:
Quote from: dev_single
# Core80, ARTIFACT MAGIC, (Future): An early angle on magic that should find its way into the game. Although ultimately influenced by world parameters, stock DF will likely focus on rare, unique, somewhat mysterious effects without tables, to the extent that that's possible. Some cliches are probably unavoidable, he he he. The artifact process is likely to be changed somewhat to align with this, and artifacts should be created in world-generation and elsewhere during play, though a good player artifact should still have high importance.
That's not what he was asking though, he was asking if different races would interact with magic differently based on their race and used dwarven artifacts as an example.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 05:13:01 pm »

Should we expect races to have some form of link to magic in future releases?
ex dwarf enchanting and/or enhancing weapons and armor with materials. different then elf who might simply use runes. 

This is pretty much the future of artifacts:
Quote from: dev_single
# Core80, ARTIFACT MAGIC, (Future): An early angle on magic that should find its way into the game. Although ultimately influenced by world parameters, stock DF will likely focus on rare, unique, somewhat mysterious effects without tables, to the extent that that's possible. Some cliches are probably unavoidable, he he he. The artifact process is likely to be changed somewhat to align with this, and artifacts should be created in world-generation and elsewhere during play, though a good player artifact should still have high importance.
That's not what he was asking though, he was asking if different races would interact with magic differently based on their race and used dwarven artifacts as an example.

If that was the point s/he was emphasizing, I'd point to the Adams brothers' stories.  This series of ASCII art rewards has mechanical beasts animated by dwarven artifact magic, and another reward describes a dwarf-made artifact staff that not only grants skill to the user but has secret mechanical functions.  Meanwhile, many of ThreeToe's stories describe elven artifacts being shaped and empowered by the forces of nature, e.g.:
"She drew her curved blade Elstra, a wooden sword polished for a hundred years in the brooks and streams of the forest until it took on the aspect of steel."
"Dahlia slammed down her staff at its feet, flowers suddenly springing up where the pole struck the ground."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:20:34 pm by Footkerchief »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 05:55:13 pm »

posting to follow

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2012, 07:42:28 pm »

posting to follow!
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2012, 09:37:44 pm »

Toady: When is the fortress mode trading Caravan Arc stuff going to be implemented?  Supply/demand, being able to import enough iron and flux to outfit your dwarves on a site which has neither, stuff like that.  I'm assuming that no part of it has been included in the 0.34.01 release, since nothing about it was mentioned in the release notes, and nothing about the dwarf trading interface has changed (besides being able to select only part of a stack for trading).

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 10:07:29 pm »

Toady: When is the fortress mode trading Caravan Arc stuff going to be implemented?  Supply/demand, being able to import enough iron and flux to outfit your dwarves on a site which has neither, stuff like that.  I'm assuming that no part of it has been included in the 0.34.01 release, since nothing about it was mentioned in the release notes, and nothing about the dwarf trading interface has changed (besides being able to select only part of a stack for trading).

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Release 6 on that page is "Dwarf mode trading improvements incorporating all the world gen/supply/demand/merchant info etc".

Releases 4 and 5 (or even 2 depending on what Toady means by "mine maps") might see some preliminary stuff, but it looks like the bulk of what you're asking for is in that one.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »

I know "don't embark on evil areas" is a solution to that.. but, well, is that really an improvement to the last version?  Not being able to use evil areas at all?

Maybe I just suck, but I failed 10/10 embarks on haunted biomes within 10 minutes each, 2 of them within about 2 minutes or less... whats the point of evil biomes existing at all in that case?   Even a full military embark didn't work, cuz as soon as one military dwarf dies, you're screwed.. and the less said of my dog zerg attempt, the better.

I guess that my feeling is that they just reanimate too fast, and too many times.  Everything that dies becoming immortal and hostile doesnt seem sustainable, given how DF works, and assuming that this is how it is meant to be, I guess I just prefer the old evil biomes that were playable, if hard.

It is worth noting that you can embark on an evil biome without zombies to get the rest of the Fun- it's what I've been doing. I've noticed that the zombie free zones have the fogs instead- I don't know if that's intentional or not.

Not that I don't agree with you- I hope pulping makes it in sooner rather than later.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 08:43:28 am »

Now we have the interactions, can you see the collection of things we have ever being fused into one? Interactions can cause syndromes and syndromes can allow interactions, but will the "sound" capabilities you added, and reactions, and speech, and similar ever be all handled as an "interaction"? What about us ever seeing conditional raws or variables? (Poor example: "Hello, I see you have" player:haircolor "hair".) I'd call it Dwarf&ObjectReferenceFormat.

Good job on this release. :)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 08:44:54 am »

I could be wrong but so far it seems to me that areas marked as "Haunted" have the undead. "Terrifying" has only the evil raintypes and sinister comes with "fumes/mists". 6 forts thought arent a good basis for a statistic. The evil rain is the most tolerable from what i encountered they seem rather harmles. The "repellent ooze" rain (blue) was only in so far annoying that my dorfs started pussing without any harm. I guess its different when they are injured as the wound can get infected.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 09:27:44 am »

I really like this new version. Sure it has a lot of rough patches but if anything it makes me curious and wracked with glee and dread with how Toady is going to smooth them out.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:02 am »

I could be wrong but so far it seems to me that areas marked as "Haunted" have the undead. "Terrifying" has only the evil raintypes and sinister comes with "fumes/mists". 6 forts thought arent a good basis for a statistic. The evil rain is the most tolerable from what i encountered they seem rather harmles. The "repellent ooze" rain (blue) was only in so far annoying that my dorfs started pussing without any harm. I guess its different when they are injured as the wound can get infected.

I can confirm eeevil mist in Terrifying embarks. I'm guessing that it is on a biome basis- each biome can only have one regional curse, and how horrible it is may be linked to savagery. I have yet to encounter evil rain at all, but then I've only played 4 Terrifying embarks (1 Zombie 3 Mist)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 12:04:50 pm »

Quote from: The One Toad
A creature definition can transform critters through a syndrome, either in their venom syndrome/etc. or directly through a CAN_DO_INTERACTION which has an ADD_SYNDROME effect.  Syndromes can't currently be cured, so there's no way to turn somebody back to their original form, unless the syndrome has a duration and runs out.

Is it possible to give a syndrome a seriously high duration (9999 years, etc.) for "permanent" effects and then have another syndrome (or other interaction) that would reduce the duration on another (active) syndrome?  That would handle "cures" pretty nicely
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:11:07 pm by Draco18s »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 748