Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714679 times)

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:10 pm »

made forge jobs use bar amounts properly

But I thought it was a feature :'(

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 11:08:59 pm »

yey! New Thread! o! bug-fixes coming :D 
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 11:17:19 pm »

Was there a specific motivation for removing the "rude" words from the language files?  Just tone of how you want the goblins to sound, or was there pressure from some source, or did you need to cut down on language size?

Just curious as to reasons.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »

Was there a specific motivation for removing the "rude" words from the language files?  Just tone of how you want the goblins to sound, or was there pressure from some source, or did you need to cut down on language size?

Just curious as to reasons.

It can't be language size, since at the same time that he removed the 11 "untoward" words, he added several dozen new words, including many colors and sphere-related terms.  The language raws can be expanded nigh-infinitely.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:22 pm »

I guess it was because of people who named their chars Rape Raperape The Rape of Rape.

That doesn't really give a good image of the game for random bystanders  :P

ChristmasDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 11:49:13 pm »

Please Tarn make the next few releases simple and fix all the bugs in dwarf fortress.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:55 am »

I instinctively made a 3-wide path to my fort for the new version, just in case wagons made a comeback against the odds. Now all my dreams are going to come true.

I cannot wait to see the first wagon zombie rise from the dead.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2012, 12:08:25 am »

I guess it was because of people who named their chars Rape Raperape The Rape of Rape.

That doesn't really give a good image of the game for random bystanders  :P

If people hear about the game, it's not because someone named their character "Rape Raperape", it's because they hear about mermaid soap factories or kitten genocides, which is probably more offensive than someone simply having the ability to name their character whatever they darn well please.

Please Tarn make the next few releases simple and fix all the bugs in dwarf fortress.

I find it amusing you would consider fixing all the bugs in Dwarf Fortress a "simple release".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 12:37:41 am »

hahaha... all the bugs. That's a good one.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 01:03:46 am »

hahaha... all the bugs. That's a good one.

I find his username rather apt given his request...it would take a Santa Claus level of magic to make that possible in a timely manner, and would indeed be one hell of a present.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 01:54:28 am »

If toady fixes all bugs half of the emergent features are gone  :o who wants that! Its nice thought to see some bugs fixed in every iteration and i can tell you that it is the only viabale way to find all bugs. I was for a while profesional Softwaretester and from my experience i can tell that under the first layer of bugs are many more increasingly subtile bugs. Even if you have good programmers with good, well document and commented code you will find bugs in every program that is bigger then 1000 lines of code.

Reintroducing Wagons is a nice bonus for the first bugfix release. I hope the crash on saving gets fixed too.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 01:57:34 am »

Oh, just realized:

Are the rapid rates of reanimation a bug or working as intended?  Are items like wool and hair supposed to reanimate, or this is a bug/unintended behavior?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 02:03:17 am »

Suddenly! Wagons.

I've waited for them to make it back into the game.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 05:44:09 am »

Forge jobs using proper amounts of bars, wagons appearing again and making lye using empty buckets.

Inspired me to make my first donation, and create an account to thank for these fixes (been stalking the forum for a few months now), as these bugs were among the most annoying in the game, probably outmatched only by the clothing issues. If dwarfs start wearing the clothes they've claimed, I'm likely to make another donation.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49:13 am »

Forge jobs using proper amounts of bars, wagons appearing again and making lye using empty buckets.

Inspired me to make my first donation, and create an account to thank for these fixes (been stalking the forum for a few months now), as these bugs were among the most annoying in the game, probably outmatched only by the clothing issues. If dwarfs start wearing the clothes they've claimed, I'm likely to make another donation.

There is more to follow. After ironing out the bugs introduced by this release, Toady may do a release with only "old bugs" fixes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 748