Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729445 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #435 on: March 06, 2012, 09:40:42 am »

Yay for 0.34.05!

I wonder if that fix that cleans up syndromes from ghosts gets rid of the necromancer ghosts?

I thought that was a rather neat emergent feature, so I hope not.

EDIT: Shoot, it looks like it did.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:43:57 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 06, 2012, 10:26:11 am »

I have this compulsory feeling of having to restart and make a new world every update that gets released, to the point where I do something else until the updates start to slow down a little. But it's a pain to not know how many more updates there are going to be.

I need to cut down on the coffee.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 06, 2012, 02:12:21 pm »

I have this compulsory feeling of having to restart and make a new world every update that gets released, to the point where I do something else until the updates start to slow down a little. But it's a pain to not know how many more updates there are going to be.

I need to cut down on the coffee.

cutting coffee wont help, im like this too and i dont even drink any coffee to begin with

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 06, 2012, 09:34:21 pm »

You mentioned removing the ability for the vamp to accuse children. Does this mean that child vampires are not possible?

Toady confirmed in the other thread that child vampires can occur:

What about child vampires?  Who gets blamed then?
Yes, what happens if a child is a vampire?  Can they not be accused, or can children no longer become vamps by drinking vampire-blood infused water sources?
Witnesses will still report whatever they saw.  The bug fix only refers to vampires making up stories.  Accusing adults instead of children and especially babies is more credible.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #439 on: March 06, 2012, 09:41:19 pm »

Although unless people have seen otherwise, I think they probably don't come up in world gen, because they never profane temples.  They will come up through conversions etc. later.  Child vampires created in forts (by your evil management antics most likely) can still be accused by witnesses as it stands, and I haven't done anything to block their creation.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ggg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:24 pm »

Development log
Development page

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.  Questions and comments about the development page or DF development somewhat more broadly work here, though any contentious topics that lead to derails are discouraged -- there are threads for those too.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions green works pretty well.  You do that like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]making questions green[/color]

Just fix the god damned bugs...

Anyone who tells you that creating new content/options is better than fixing bugs has never been involved in the software industry. The game is broken. Why modify a broken game?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 06, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »

uh

wow

um

what is he doing right now???

Belligerence will not help you when you are demanding that someone do something they are currently doing.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 06, 2012, 09:52:46 pm »

As first posts go, less than stellar.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 06, 2012, 10:05:59 pm »

The game is broken.
Works for me. You are, obviously, doing something wrong.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »

Anyone who tells you that creating new content/options is better than fixing bugs has never been involved in the software industry. The game is broken. Why modify a broken game?

Bug-fixing is already the current focus of development.  You can read about upcoming bug fixes on the devlog.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »

To admit the game IS broken

Just not in the same way he is suggesting.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:25 am »

This is rude.
If you were ever involved in software industry you would know that no software is bugfree.
And Toady is well aware there are bugs and so dedicates several releases to fix the important ones. But some bugs will obviously remain and this can't stop futher development of everything else, partially because some bugs can't be properly fixed without extending the underlining mechanics.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:11 am »

This is rude.
If you were ever involved in software industry you would know that no software is bugfree.
Yes, but obviously almost all important parts of DF is somehow broken (clothing - 2481 and 3942, nobles - 3453, military - 535, healthcare - 1582, weapons - 2712 and 2327, cleaning - 425, ghosts - 3708, stacks - 3898, dodging - 4550, sieges - 4552 etc)  - and it is not a "mild and funny bug" but a "serious, irritating" - in result game for me is not playable.

Spoiler: buglist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:11:16 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 07, 2012, 06:33:44 am »

And a lot of that stuff has been resolved, just not all of it.

I recall the Healthcare being a death-trap for any and all dwarves. Now we have the occasional stuck patient, but it's far better than before.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 07, 2012, 06:39:06 am »

We just had a big who ha over bugs, we don't need another one so soon, the new forumite can go back ten or so pages and enjoy the reading.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 748