Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733660 times)

Dante3214

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #450 on: March 07, 2012, 06:59:10 am »

The many bugs are an unfortunate but unavoidable byproduct of the games ambitiousness and intricate design.

I believe Toady has the expertise to deal with any problem that comes up, but I'm sure that even some of the simplest seeming bugs can turn into coding nightmares due to the countless ways objects and forces interact with each other. I might even guess that bug-fixing a modern AAA title could be easier.

Opinions, I know. But Toady clearly seems to be doing the best he can as far as the game goes. [/endapologeticfanboyism]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:02:13 am by Dante3214 »

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 07, 2012, 07:37:13 am »

Troll is troll. Don't feed the troll.

Toady, have you plans to merge the Interaction and Reaction systems at some point? They do look like they'd go really well together, and I'm honestly not sure why Interactions were made separate in the first place. Mostly I'm just annoyed that Interactions can't be made to require an item, and Reactions can't induce syndromes without using the old 'boiling stone' trick.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:10 am »

Troll is troll. Don't feed the troll.

Toady, have you plans to merge the Interaction and Reaction systems at some point? They do look like they'd go really well together, and I'm honestly not sure why Interactions were made separate in the first place. Mostly I'm just annoyed that Interactions can't be made to require an item, and Reactions can't induce syndromes without using the old 'boiling stone' trick.

Oooh, then you could make the hatmakers and lead-forgers all slowly go insane!
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:28 am »

"Fortress knowledge" is awesome concept. Dwarwen science within dwarwen science.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 07, 2012, 10:25:20 am »

Yeah, that's not so much a 'bugfix' as an 'elegant new feature to replace a buggy, dissatisfying one', which I highly approve of. Dwarven Science hasn't seen any implementation in the game yet, and I'm very happy to see it making an entrance.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 07, 2012, 10:32:08 am »

Goodbye, Dungeon Master. I won't miss you.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #456 on: March 07, 2012, 10:33:04 am »

Just be glad they don't have to invent medicine in the same way :)

Edit: I will miss the DM. Not as much as the philosopher, but the DM was always a helping hand with metalwork.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 07, 2012, 10:45:46 am »

Yeah, that's not so much a 'bugfix' as an 'elegant new feature to replace a buggy, dissatisfying one', which I highly approve of. Dwarven Science hasn't seen any implementation in the game yet, and I'm very happy to see it making an entrance.

Yup, that's the kind of thing that might get me playing Fortress Mode again.

Yes, but obviously almost all important parts of DF is somehow broken (clothing - 2481 and 3942, nobles - 3453, military - 535, healthcare - 1582, weapons - 2712 and 2327, cleaning - 425, ghosts - 3708, stacks - 3898, dodging - 4550, sieges - 4552 etc)  - and it is not a "mild and funny bug" but a "serious, irritating" - in result game for me is not playable.

Spoiler: buglist (click to show/hide)

It helps to link to bugs when you're trying to draw attention to them, especially since many of these reports would benefit from 0.34.02+ saves.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:28 am »

Hear hear! Finally, a reason to have skilled animal trainers kicking around. Exciting times.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:54 am »

Man, the idea of civ-wide skills is an intriguing one. I wonder what else can work with something like this...

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:25 am »

It helps to link to bugs when you're trying to draw attention to them, especially since many of these reports would benefit from 0.34.02+ saves.
I hope that linking to bugtracker is enough - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php (there is jump to isssue # on top right).

@providing saves - I prefer to way a bit (there are still new bugs, bugs with new saves and bugs where save is not needed), as it is possible that it will be necessary to again provide saves after breaking savegame compatibility (like in http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4552 ).

@devlog - I really like that taming by spores is gone.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:46:48 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 07, 2012, 11:48:28 am »

I hope that linking to bugtracker is enough - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php (there is jump to isssue # on top right).

@providing saves - I prefer to way a bit (there are still new bugs, bugs with new saves and bugs where save is not needed), as it is possible that it will be necessary to again provide saves after breaking savegame compatibility (like in http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4552 ).

@devlog - I really like that taming by spores is gone.

I like this list of bugs. If they are fixed, the game would be incredibly improved. However, we don't know what it would take to fix them. We can hope, at least.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 07, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »

Is it intended for coins to not show up on the trade menus?

It seems like a useful side effect of coins would be that you could use those for automated trading, so that you want something, you give them coins, then you sell stuff to get the coins back.

Of course, this would cause traders to bring in foreign currency and such, but that's almost a bonus.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 07, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »

Quote from: From the devlog:
Attempts to tame/train creatures will add to your site's training knowledge of that creature, which augments future training of all creatures of that type.

Does this mean things like wardogs will actually deal more damage and/or take more damage as the site's training knowledge increases?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 07, 2012, 12:59:29 pm »

Does this mean things like wardogs will actually deal more damage and/or take more damage as the site's training knowledge increases?

This is not an attempt to answer the question, but I'd guess that animal training could involve raising the animals' Fighter/Biter/Wrestling/etc. skills.  CAN_LEARN would have to change or be loosened though -- I don't think any basic animals have it right now.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 748