Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3733949 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #645 on: March 14, 2012, 04:05:39 pm »

that is not modders 'fixing' anything, its them outright removing a feature. toady is fixing something outright broken that can't be fixed by modders.

may not make much sense to you personally, but you are someone who knows how to mod the game, or wants to download mods. Toady is trying to make vanilla DF something someone can download and play, without mods, and without modding something themselves. therefore, the clothing issue IS a serious bug, has nothing to do with what modders can or can't fix.

(toady also usually fixes them in the source code itself, not the Raws, much cleaner, and often better.)
Thanks for stating the obvious, I guess? You really seem to have a compulsive need to reply to everything, my friend.

I'm just asking that, when faced between fixing two equally serious bugs, he picks the one that cannot be worked around by fiddling with the raws. It won't hurt those who don't use mods, and for those who do, the game will become hassle-free sooner.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #646 on: March 14, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »

I guess it's weirder for a tile to flip between two images than it is to flash an N.

No. Absolutely the opposite. If I'm in proper rogue/nethack mode, letters become creatures. But if I'm in a visual sprite mode an N looks *extremely* wrong and jarring.
Flipping between two images keeps the same "mode" engaged, while flipping between an image and a letter makes me want to claw out my eyes.

I disagree, but that's what options are for.

but... I don't get it
what's the point in making it flash AT ALL if it's already showing a zombie graphic?
<3

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #647 on: March 14, 2012, 04:44:13 pm »

I could really go for replacing the flash with simply changing the tile/tile color/tile flash color.

When you finally get 200 zombies in your horde, then you realize that half the screen is taken up with blinking, flashing zombies.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 14, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »

Thanks for stating the obvious, I guess? You really seem to have a compulsive need to reply to everything, my friend.

I'm just asking that, when faced between fixing two equally serious bugs, he picks the one that cannot be worked around by fiddling with the raws. It won't hurt those who don't use mods, and for those who do, the game will become hassle-free sooner.
ah, sorry, i assumed you were another person going "well i can fix it, that person can fix it, so who cares about the other 10%. its a bit hard to imply inflections on sentences over the internet aint it  :P

anyways, to refine what i was saying, the issue is that the current clothing bug wrecks fps somewhere around year 2, and renders an entire fortress industry worthless.
so the clothing bug is actually very serious depending how long your fort lasts, while some other ones are excusable atm, due to not wrecking the game.

though from the looks of recent releases id say that Toady may be going by the 'Worst bug poll' on the forums, combined with his own opinions.
(Toady probably plays vanilla DF i assume, so id be willing to bet he fixes what bothers him and interrupts his game, while still considering what bothers us.)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 14, 2012, 05:08:25 pm »

Modders never fixed the clothing bug, they just removed clothes from the game. Toady is putting a feature back.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 14, 2012, 05:10:55 pm »

^this.

also, im glad that toady is fixing the fort crippling bugs, as im not 100% fond of naked dwarves.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 14, 2012, 05:31:42 pm »

I guess it's weirder for a tile to flip between two images than it is to flash an N.

No. Absolutely the opposite. If I'm in proper rogue/nethack mode, letters become creatures. But if I'm in a visual sprite mode an N looks *extremely* wrong and jarring.
Flipping between two images keeps the same "mode" engaged, while flipping between an image and a letter makes me want to claw out my eyes.

I disagree, but that's what options are for.

but... I don't get it
what's the point in making it flash AT ALL if it's already showing a zombie graphic?

For clarity, it's entirely possible to have a zombie graphic for all races. 

What the hard-coding of the flashing tile does is force the flashing between the specific zombie-of-that-race tile, and a generic undead tile. 

So, even without flashing, we can see things like this:

Which can be easily recognized as zombies without having to flash to some other tile.

It's getting more and more the case, what with several hundred types of creatures all loaded onto the same letters, that graphics are actually getting much easier to recognize creatures than having to guess whether "s" means rattlesnake, rattlesnake man, copperhead snake, copperhead snake man, slug man, snail man, sparrow man, skunk, skunk man, satyr, siamang, strangler, helmet snake, giant sponge, sponge man, frill shark, squid man, spiny dogfish, and maybe some other things I didn't get in a quick browsing.  (And yes, there are color variations, but most of those are either gray or brown, anyway.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 14, 2012, 05:32:43 pm »

The BugTracker report:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=231
says that Toady fixed the workshop clutter bug.
But he didn't leave any notes so I wonder how he dealt with it, whether body parts cause less clutter now, or the item being currently worked on won't cause cluttler, or whatever other way?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:34:39 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 14, 2012, 06:25:27 pm »

Another thought I've had for a while is that it might be nice to be able to designate a standard "Civilian Uniform" that all of your non-military (and perhaps non-noble) dwarves would attempt to wear.

This... OH THIS!!     ▲ This! ▲
It would use an existing system and would allow quick changes to an arbitrary amount of dwarves!

Suggestions for Toady:
- Allow civilians to be assigned a uniform in the military screen. I'm sure that they are easy to 'target' by the game from there, because from that screen you can already order a specific order just for civilians, and such.
- Can the uniforms be unhardcoded? And put into a raw form like worldgen profiles and embark profiles?

I'm jealous that you can dress them and undress them with a button!

Quote from: Toady
I've got a basic new clothing claimer-putter-onner function up, and I'm just tormenting my dwarves with various debugging.  Buttons to take their clothes off and <snip>

Yes I know that this is not a bug, but has been mentioned about as frequently, AND could be an additional step in taking away the very relevant clothing headaches.

How much work are these two?

P.S. I also did a danse, but then it started raining outside. Did I do a wrong one?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:55:35 pm by Elone »
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #654 on: March 14, 2012, 08:06:13 pm »

I can't wait to make all my civilians wear togas.

Still... I don't suppose that dwarves with clothing prefrences might buy and wear other clothes as well?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 14, 2012, 08:22:05 pm »

The DF community : as thrilled at the prospect of necromancy and lycanthropy as about being able to play dolls with psychotic dwarves.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 14, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »

The DF community : as thrilled at the prospect of necromancy and lycanthropy as about being able to play dolls with psychotic dwarves.
concerning aint it? just lay back, close your eyes, bite your lip, and EMBRACE THE MADNESS

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 14, 2012, 08:33:20 pm »

Modders never fixed the clothing bug, they just removed clothes from the game. Toady is putting a feature back.
Nobody is saying that modders fixed the clothing bug.  You and bombzero are misreading what isitanos said.

More like thrilled that they don't have to deal with a fortress filled with nekkid dwarves and dwarf soldiers that won't wear their uniforms properly.   ;D
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 14, 2012, 08:35:34 pm »

For zombies and the like I can see why toady wouldn't give each creature a unique skeleton and zombie designation for tilesets. However could this be what makes the case for switching to tilesets?

I know toady has said he wasn't too keen due to concerns about maintaining an artist throughout the development of the game, but, he could create crude group icons for each type of creature (fish, animals, underground monsters, etc) while making it possible for each creature to have their own icons and then leave that to the modding community.

It's already at the stage where if you're using vanilla you'll usually have to examine a creature tile in order to work out what it is, so even in vanilla this shouldn't change too much.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 14, 2012, 09:08:36 pm »

i know the standard-letters are just images of letters instead of a real font, but can anyone tell me why he isnt just using different fonts to differentiate a goat-g from goblin-g at first glance? there are tons of fonts which all look kinda different. one could even go as far as using fonts for categories, such as "all fish use this font, all birds use that other one" and in case there are several birds with the same letter: there are fonts which look nearly the same except for some small detail. i already love how capital letters are used for something big and small ones for the small to normal sized variants, there could even be more variation on that by using bold letters too, so there could be 4 different size-categories using small/capital + not-bold/bold alone.
again the main question: does anyone know whether toady ever said something on the matter of fonts?(anyone got any quotes?)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 748