Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714500 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #660 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:59 pm »

i know the standard-letters are just images of letters instead of a real font, but can anyone tell me why he isnt just using different fonts to differentiate a goat-g from goblin-g at first glance? there are tons of fonts which all look kinda different. one could even go as far as using fonts for categories, such as "all fish use this font, all birds use that other one" and in case there are several birds with the same letter: there are fonts which look nearly the same except for some small detail. i already love how capital letters are used for something big and small ones for the small to normal sized variants, there could even be more variation on that by using bold letters too, so there could be 4 different size-categories using small/capital + not-bold/bold alone.
again the main question: does anyone know whether toady ever said something on the matter of fonts?(anyone got any quotes?)

Actually, I saw someone make a request on the mod forum about a graphical tileset that actually was something like that... For example, instead of having a tileset where you have a picture of a goblin, you have a "g" with pointy green ears on it.  An "s" that represented a snake has a forked tongue coming out of one end, and an "s" that is a snail looks something like the top half of the "s" is a shell sitting on top of the bottom half. 

Apparently, there are tilesets like that for NetHack.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 14, 2012, 09:46:40 pm »

<snipping my own jabbering>

Actually, I saw someone make a request on the mod forum about a graphical tileset that actually was something like that... For example, instead of having a tileset where you have a picture of a goblin, you have a "g" with pointy green ears on it.  An "s" that represented a snake has a forked tongue coming out of one end, and an "s" that is a snail looks something like the top half of the "s" is a shell sitting on top of the bottom half. 

Apparently, there are tilesets like that for NetHack.

well, this is certainly interesting, since it avoids the problem all picture-tilesets have: they are inevitably incredibly ugly(for me, they all lie in the uncanny valley, among other inevitable problems). but as long as there is no real font for something like that there will always remain the problem of reverting back to the old problems when playing in text-mode.

edit, before someone can answer: also defining something like "use this font for reptiles and this one for amphibians and..." in the init-file would be way more flexible and would require less work to keep up to date than having to add little details all the time a letter is used again: just by combining different fonts with the basic colours one gets such a large amount of differentiation-options...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:50:46 pm by eux0r »

Rockbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 15, 2012, 12:07:23 am »

I'm pretty new to the game, and I don't really want to look through 45 pages to find one specific tidbit of information so I'll just ask; Are there any known plans to change the way vampires play? Either by making it so you don't get one with every migrant wave, or adding a vampire hunter noble position or anything, really.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #663 on: March 15, 2012, 12:11:48 am »

I'm pretty new to the game, and I don't really want to look through 45 pages to find one specific tidbit of information so I'll just ask; Are there any known plans to change the way vampires play? Either by making it so you don't get one with every migrant wave, or adding a vampire hunter noble position or anything, really.

OK, I could totally see some kind of Justice screen thing that watches for vampires.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rockbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 15, 2012, 12:20:17 am »

OK, I could totally see some kind of Justice screen thing that watches for vampires.

Yeah, It's not that I want them removed, but I would like some way of preventing four of them running around offing my legendary warriors without any witnesses despite them sleeping in a giant common dormitory (how!?), WITHOUT having to comb through 150+ profiles looking for people with no thoughts about food or drink.

I did notice that you can find most of them pretty quickly by checking who the game claims to be the most suitable for mayor :D.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 15, 2012, 12:38:02 am »

Yeah, It's not that I want them removed, but I would like some way of preventing four of them running around offing my legendary warriors without any witnesses despite them sleeping in a giant common dormitory (how!?), WITHOUT having to comb through 150+ profiles looking for people with no thoughts about food or drink.

I did notice that you can find most of them pretty quickly by checking who the game claims to be the most suitable for mayor :D.

If they're all asleep who is gonna see? Gotta be awake.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rockbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 15, 2012, 12:40:31 am »

Once, sure. But 8 times? Weird thing is the FIRST vampire I got was caught instantly. And when i accidentally let him out, he got caught again. Twice. But the other four were apparently ninjas as well as vampires... :D

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 15, 2012, 02:21:01 am »

df_34_05_win_s\raw\objects\text\book_instruction.txt anddf_34_05_win_s\raw\objects\text\book_art.txt are (rather short) listings of hardcoded types of titles. Is it helpful to suggest a new ones (maybe based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Books_by_century )?  (I define helpful  as "there is a chance that list like this will be used"). Note: this is not a suggestion but question whatever suggestion will be useful.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:39:45 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #668 on: March 15, 2012, 02:50:46 am »

Nice list! I have to add "Codex [PHRASE]" and "Codex [NAME]" now. You'd get stuff like Codex Berevement or Codex Flying Wool.

Maybe also "The [ADJ] book of [NAME]"

Hmmm...

Toady, what do the tags in the text raws actually mean? In particulary I'm wondering about how [NO_ART_NAME] is different from [NAME]. Are there any tags that might work that haven't been tested or used by default?

Here's a great example of a name, rendered in English as the Tragicomedy of Calisto and Melibea and the old prostitute Celestina. I guess that's basically "The [PHRASE] of [NAME] and [NAME] and the [NOUN] of the [NAME]". I'm not sure the parser would like that...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:56:46 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 15, 2012, 03:04:09 am »

Here's a great example of a name, rendered in English as the Tragicomedy of Calisto and Melibea and the old prostitute Celestina. I guess that's basically "The [PHRASE] of [NAME] and [NAME] and the [NOUN] of the [NAME]". I'm not sure the parser would like that...

putting that in would make the parser attempt to kill you, probably unsuccessfully, but damn would it try.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 15, 2012, 03:40:01 am »

df_34_05_win_s\raw\objects\text\book_instruction.txt anddf_34_05_win_s\raw\objects\text\book_art.txt are (rather short) listings of hardcoded types of titles. Is it helpful to suggest a new ones (maybe based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Books_by_century )  (I define helpful  as "there is a chance that list like this will be used"). Note: this is not a suggestion but question whatever suggestion will be useful

OMG! If that isn't a suggestion than I rather not think what's next from You. You didn't even bother with the question mark dude. Now who are you kidding anyway?
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: March 15, 2012, 06:48:47 am »

df_34_05_win_s\raw\objects\text\book_instruction.txt anddf_34_05_win_s\raw\objects\text\book_art.txt are (rather short) listings of hardcoded types of titles. Is it helpful to suggest a new ones (maybe based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Books_by_century )  (I define helpful  as "there is a chance that list like this will be used"). Note: this is not a suggestion but question whatever suggestion will be useful

OMG! If that isn't a suggestion than I rather not think what's next from You. You didn't even bother with the question mark dude. Now who are you kidding anyway?
The question mark is implied by "Is it helpful", which cannot exist in a non-interrogative statement.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: March 15, 2012, 08:46:22 am »

Toady, what do the tags in the text raws actually mean? In particulary I'm wondering about how [NO_ART_NAME] is different from [NAME].

I think NO_ART_NAME just means that the names of works of art are excluded. 

Are there any tags that might work that haven't been tested or used by default?

Generally Toady doesn't add functionality that isn't used in vanilla:

I haven't done more than I needed for most of the tags.  It's something that is going to grow over time, but I could only bite off so much at once.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:48:49 am by Footkerchief »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #673 on: March 15, 2012, 09:17:32 am »

I know someone probably already said this, but i can't go crawling through 40+ pages looking for it, but is there a general idea/schedule for when the next release is released?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 15, 2012, 09:26:57 am »

34.05 came out less than two weeks ago. 34.06 will probably be out within a month, but the fact is, we don't know.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 748