Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714700 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #840 on: March 23, 2012, 10:39:55 am »

Doesn't mean you can't talk about it, but it would be better to make a new thread for it.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 23, 2012, 10:42:04 am »

I forget where it was stated, but I remember it being said that captaintastic and footkerchief both have portions of the source, that they will release if toady dies a natural death, and destroy if they suspect any kind of fowl play.

The Giant Toad cancels work: Interrupted by a Roc.
The Roc bites the Giant Toad on its coding hand.
The part has been severed.
It sails off in an arc!
The Giant Toad has been struck down.

I wouldn't want the code to be released for anything less.
And thank you for the release, Toady!  The game is, dare I say it, becoming really rather complex.  I'm gonna have to be disciplined and set some clear goals for my next fortress because the list of mechanics I haven't even tried yet is getting rather large, eep.   :o
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:43:54 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 23, 2012, 11:41:13 am »

Funny thing, mere two days ago an outsider friend actually asked me what will happen if the devs die if hit by a bus. I pouted and said that the game will be stuck in a frozen state with not updates ever being made for it, and that the world will virtually never see a similar game again.

But in the new light of the situation, I now wonder whether this event would SPEED UP the development XD as there would now be an army of people working on the game instead of one or two. FPS decay bugs would be the first ones to go >.> interface usability would shoot up after that =P

(resist ewone, resist)

But preferably, dont die! I've read somewhere that this is your life's work, and a true piece of art it is. Like someone said in an earlier post, in a few years we'll be placing bets on when the game will go sentient on us.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #843 on: March 23, 2012, 12:07:56 pm »

I still think it happened in 2008.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 23, 2012, 02:18:17 pm »

Can we stop talking about death? It's morbid.

Besides, any creative expression will always be a direct reflection of the personality of its creator.  Even in something like programming, which you may think of as dry and technical, is an extremely expressive art form.  While some game-making companies are large enough to mask the individual's artistic expression, in a single-programmer developed game, who Toady is bleeds through in everything he codes.

It's not a matter of "it would get out faster" or "it would be stymied", the same game wouldn't get out at all, and at best, some people might look at some of the code while trying to make their own individual games that may be inspired by DF, but aren't actually DF.

I may argue priorities or try to change the angle of the vision, and I honestly don't think that anything "like DF, but not quite" is necessarily a bad thing, and the competition may actually be constructive, but a game not made by Toady is not DF as made by Toady.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: March 23, 2012, 08:01:10 pm »

So yeah...

RELEASE WOOOOO!

I might actually start up my first fort on 2012... up til now I've been goofing off in Adventure Mode.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 23, 2012, 11:36:51 pm »

That ought to make people stop complaining that Toady doesn't fix enough long-standing bugs for a week or two.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: March 23, 2012, 11:38:26 pm »

That ought to make people stop complaining that Toady doesn't fix enough long-standing bugs for a week or two.

There's a new thread for it now, by the way. 

Vote for your favorite flavor!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 23, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »

Not even a week. Or even a day. There's already thread's discussing/complaining about their personal ire bug.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 23, 2012, 11:51:12 pm »

Not even a week. Or even a day. There's already thread's discussing/complaining about their personal ire bug.

You say that like it's a bad thing. 

Should we not have a bug tracker at all?  Toady certainly seems to want the bugs removed from his game, and wants to hear from those who have found them.  Why so against Toady's success?

EDIT:
Kogut's bug voting thread has been an entirely constructive exercise, in that it both identified the bugs which players most wanted Toady to work upon, and in that it let players be and feel listened to, which is the exact thing that prevents more serious griping.

You can say all you want that people are being unreasonable when their complaints escalate the less they are heard, but in actuality, they are being entirely reasonable.  It is the only reasonable thing to do, when you are yelling "fire", and everyone refuses to listen, or insults you for trying, to make an even more dramatic gesture until you are heard.

The cause of the unrest is not unreasonable players, but the people in this thread who so aggressively try to drive out other players and disdain the playerbase as a whole for wanting to play the game and be heard.  You are the ones at fault for being so unreasonable to people wanting to make their voices heard, especially on an issue that should so obviously be heard as a bug report.

Shoot the messenger all you want, but some confrontations need to be forced.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:46:32 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 24, 2012, 12:09:45 am »

Not even for one post.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 24, 2012, 01:33:27 am »

You say that like it's a bad thing. 

Should we not have a bug tracker at all?  Toady certainly seems to want the bugs removed from his game, and wants to hear from those who have found them.  Why so against Toady's success?
You're missing the point.

They aren't saying "don't complain about bugs", they're saying "don't complain that Toady isn't fixing bugs, because he's fixing bugs," even if those bugs don't happen to be your personal highest priority ones.

And saying that they're "against Toady's success" is absurd.  They're just against people saying that Toady isn't doing what he really is doing, probably this very minute.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 24, 2012, 01:41:55 am »

I didn't see anyone complaining. Kogut's thread was very useful, and I hope the new one helps Toady to decide which bugs he must focus on.

You can say all you want that people are being unreasonable when their complaints escalate the less they are heard, but in actuality, they are being entirely reasonable.  It is the only reasonable thing to do, when you are yelling "fire", and everyone refuses to listen, or insults you for trying, to make an even more dramatic gesture until you are heard.

People are unreasonable when they are just complaining. Complaining about bugs and reporting bugs are two completely different things. A bug in an alpha game is not a fire in the house.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 24, 2012, 03:25:24 am »

People are unreasonable when they are just complaining. Complaining about bugs and reporting bugs are two completely different things. A bug in an alpha game is not a fire in the house.

from Dwarf Fortress screen on generating new world: "Report crashes, hangs, lags, bugs and general disappointment at the forums".

I think that polite complaining may be OK - but it is different when people are demanding to do X, sometimes with ridiculous "I donated so...".
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 24, 2012, 03:43:39 am »

from Dwarf Fortress screen on generating new world: "Report crashes, hangs, lags, bugs and general disappointment at the forums".

I think that polite complaining may be OK - but it is different when people are demanding to do X, sometimes with ridiculous "I donated so...".

In my language complaining has a meaning a bit different, so maybe I lost the point. Demanding would be more appropriate.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 748