Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714527 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #855 on: March 24, 2012, 03:56:40 am »

Oh god, didn't we go through this convo just a week or two ago already?
There is no problem with raising issues which bother people, but seriously, why do people bring them to this thread? It is not intended for ranting, bug reports or suggestions - it is clearly stated so in the OP.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #856 on: March 24, 2012, 06:42:13 pm »

I removed the latest posts from the thread.  The argument is unnecessary.  In fact, it seemed resolved, but a few people want to keep pouring fire on it.  I'd appreciate it if everybody could be more relaxed in here.  That goes to everybody making offhand remarks or posting giant derails, on either side.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 25, 2012, 08:07:57 am »

To get things a bit more on track, I'll quote the following:

My quick question : Will the dwarves of existing forts put on some clothing come the next update? Or will that fix only effect new forts?

This question is burning in my brain as well.  If they won't, then my current fort (nestled in a hillside full of chalk and magnetite) would need to be restarted.

I too would also like to know if it'll work right, been pondering if I want to switch off my current fort just yet.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #858 on: March 25, 2012, 08:16:02 am »

I guess the above can be rephrased: Do you always explicitly say when a regen is required to get all the bugfixes?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 25, 2012, 08:17:04 am »

How will interactions develop? Could we have interactions that allow for a creature that stalks and kills your dwarves/adventurer, or is that reserved for the future?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 25, 2012, 08:38:41 am »

How will interactions develop? Could we have interactions that allow for a creature that stalks and kills your dwarves/adventurer, or is that reserved for the future?
Not sure what you mean by "could we have" and "reserved for the future". There's nothing implemented as of this moment that would allow meaningful stalking behavior, excluding the kill-you-while-you-sleep type of stalking the vampires indulge in. Ghosts and monsters that stalk adventurers are planned, and they were initially slated for the big 34.x release with all the new night creatures. Whether they are planned for feature releases in the near future remains an unanswered question.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 25, 2012, 09:33:36 am »

ALL adventure mode stuff. Sorry. :(

I hate to bring a question that's been brought to your attention before and to post more than one question, but
Regarding bug #5611, even though you seem to have acknowledged it in another FotF reply, I'd like to ask if you're aware of the underlying causes or even acknowledge it as a -bug-. An adventure mode world could have TONS of shops, but never an armor/metal-using shops/stoneworking/carpenter shops. The theory is that sites plain-out fail to harvest the raw materials and just aren't making things, that the "warehouses" could be plain-out empty.

Others have answered. Spoiler-tagged, just in case, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:25:26 am by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 25, 2012, 10:04:26 am »

Is there any plans at all to make equipping weapons and armor in Adventure Mode more streamlined?

Will we eventually be able to have adventure mode characters make their own items other than sharp rocks? What sort of actions do you think would be nice for adventure mode?

How important is Adventure Mode for you?

Most of these have been asked before so I'll throw out some answers, Im sure others can do it better and if your not satisfied with it or want to know more just say. It's probably better to direct these questions to other forum members who have been here for a while and would know, rather than putting it in green for toady.

1. Yes, its planned. You can probably find it somewhere in here.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html

2. Yes Toady plans to incorporate most of the features that are available in fortress mode across to adventure mode, being able to create objects, walls, the like. He plans to allow most if not all of the options available, but he doesnt want to just transfer/copy everything from fortress mode so as to keep the two unique and seperate from each other. Check the link above and you'll find this in there.

3. Toady finds it equally important to fortress mode. While he may work on one more than the other from time to time its not due to preference but where he thinks its important. If your asking if he likes adventure mode more than fortress mode I think thats going more towards personal questions which I dont think fits with the thread.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 25, 2012, 10:23:55 am »

Thanks for that. I'll work on that post, then. I really only meant to ask the first one anyways, but my mind wandered. :S

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 25, 2012, 12:01:23 pm »

I'm a bit curious about something. I searched for it, didn't find where anyone else asked, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone already did and I just missed it. Is it ever going to be reasonable again (possible, for a lot of us) to generate 1050 years on a large map, or will that be taken out and the dragons be made to reproduce at a younger age? Now that it's possible to tame dragons, I'd at least hope it would be possible to find some.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 25, 2012, 12:17:26 pm »

I'm a bit curious about something. I searched for it, didn't find where anyone else asked, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone already did and I just missed it. Is it ever going to be reasonable again (possible, for a lot of us) to generate 1050 years on a large map, or will that be taken out and the dragons be made to reproduce at a younger age? Now that it's possible to tame dragons, I'd at least hope it would be possible to find some.
Toady has states that eventually, DF will move to 64-bit. That should resolve any memory-exaustation issues. For now, you can use a LAA-hacked version which doubles the memory space DF can use to generate your worlds.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 25, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »

To get things a bit more on track, I'll quote the following:

My quick question : Will the dwarves of existing forts put on some clothing come the next update? Or will that fix only effect new forts?

This question is burning in my brain as well.  If they won't, then my current fort (nestled in a hillside full of chalk and magnetite) would need to be restarted.

I too would also like to know if it'll work right, been pondering if I want to switch off my current fort just yet.

It's been answered more than once, and I can say from experience, that yes, they do drop all their rotten clothes and put on new ones as soon as you update. (Looks pretty sweet in stonesense wile it's happening too)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 25, 2012, 02:31:27 pm »

A full body robe only counts as a shirt currently, meaning at the very least four items per dwarf are required.

Are there any plans to make upstep and ubstep work for covering up a dwarf to prevent bad thoughts?
Incidentally, are there any plans for gender specific clothing?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 25, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »

A full body robe only counts as a shirt currently, meaning at the very least four items per dwarf are required.

Are there any plans to make upstep and ubstep work for covering up a dwarf to prevent bad thoughts?

This probably deserves a bug report.  There's already some known weirdness with UBSTEP and LBSTEP.

Incidentally, are there any plans for gender specific clothing?

Doesn't quite answer the question, but Toady has touched on this and it doesn't sound like it's a priority:
Quote from: Toady One
Finally, there aren't any gender links to clothing right now, so you might see male dwarves in "dresses" and "skirts" in the new worlds.  Keep in mind that men all over the world wear clothing like this, and that's what is meant by these generic terms.  You can remove the items from the entity raw before you play if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 25, 2012, 03:56:23 pm »

Toady, what do the tags in the text raws actually mean? In particulary I'm wondering about how [NO_ART_NAME] is different from [NAME]. Are there any tags that might work that haven't been tested or used by default?
Really late, but I'm fairly sure NO_ART_NAME means the name can't contain "the", "a", "an", etc. (articles in the English language).
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 748