Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714768 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #870 on: March 26, 2012, 04:58:15 am »

I would like to see the grazer bugs being fixed, most notably elephants being untameable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 26, 2012, 08:33:53 am »

I would like to see the grazer bugs being fixed, most notably elephants being untameable.

Honestly Grazers make herbivours not worth even having in a fort.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 26, 2012, 10:18:27 am »

Sheep are pretty awesome, if you have a little space aboveground.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #873 on: March 26, 2012, 10:45:53 am »

Toady, what do the tags in the text raws actually mean? In particulary I'm wondering about how [NO_ART_NAME] is different from [NAME]. Are there any tags that might work that haven't been tested or used by default?
Really late, but I'm fairly sure NO_ART_NAME means the name can't contain "the", "a", "an", etc. (articles in the English language).

Awesome, thanks. I think you're right, I was having some trouble with extra "the"s and that clears that up.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:46 pm »

I've been involved in (and planning to rewrite an old) suggestion threads recently that related to personalities, which in turn means they would be caught up in the overall personality rewrites.

When searching for information on the personality rewrites, however, most recent information that can be gleaned on what they will entail has been rather oblique, and oftentimes referenced the likes of Interactions and usage hints, which imply that the personality rewrites will go beyond merely making personalities merely more useful for determining aspects of worldgen history or just fortress mode criminal dwarves, and into the realm of overtly shaping how the AI decides to use all their abilities at their disposal in the likes of Adventurer Mode and Fortress Mode.

Can you give us some idea of how extensive the personality rewrites will be? (As in, how many currently existing systems outside worldgen will be impacted?) 

Basically, how much more complex would the average dwarf or human villager's "brain" be in actual gameplay after this?  Does this stop with things like "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" and just replace the 30 personality things with more "judgmental" traits, or does it go into breaking down/discarding the current happiness and preferences and the AI systems where dwarves choose what to do at a given moment and rebuilding them with more "moving parts" in action choice? 

Will this include or directly lead to changes in the way you converse with others in Adventurer Mode?  (Personality/mood changing how they talk?)

When trying to go into these discussions, it's best to squirrel away as much information on where you (Toady) are leaning on these issues already.  It's hard to talk about personalities or related systems when you know the ground is going to be shifting under your feet, but you aren't sure how far it will shift.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 26, 2012, 06:51:15 pm »

I've been involved in (and planning to rewrite an old) suggestion threads recently that related to personalities, which in turn means they would be caught up in the overall personality rewrites.

-snip-

youre using the plural there? can you, for the sake of convenience, give us a link-list to those suggestions?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 26, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »

youre using the plural there? can you, for the sake of convenience, give us a link-list to those suggestions?

I don't see why that's important, but some of the ones from the last month or so...

Adventurer Personality Profiling
DF, social classes, emergent behaviors, and the personality rewrites
Make vampires feed on the weak (fortress mode) (Specifically, personality-based targetting of types of dwarves.)
Boredom factor
Nobles and their Demands (Specifically, making preferences more "sane")
Regional Effects for Good/Savage Biomes. (includes good biomes altering personality)
Good regions being painfully good (Rambling topic, but again involves good regions changing personalities)
Suggestions for dwarf psychology (Old, but just got revived.)

And the old one of mine I wanted to rewrite was Class Warfare, which involved more types of "happiness", as well.  (My rewrites were going to be more a factor of the internal fortress economics issues, however...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 26, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »

I think 0.34.06 is absolutely awesome!

I wanted to ask, and I don't mean to come off as ungrateful, just curious: Do you have any plans to allow more exotics to reproduce like GCS or GDS?

I know there are mods that can allow that, but if its vanilla it feels so much more...right. I'm sure you got alot on your plate. I'm just wondering if its under consideration at all for the future.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 27, 2012, 12:52:30 am »

So um, guys I currently don't have much time to play DF, so I'd like to have your opinion : was this round of bugfixing as good as intended ? I know clothing bugs have bothered people for a loong time, and the reintroduction of bad thought about clothes sounds good, but how is it really ? Was it really a before/after moment ?

That MIGHT put fortress mode back near the top of my priorities...
EDIT: I'm wondering if I shouldn't open an other thread with that. I don't think it'll go into a very long discussion, but that really depends on people... I hope it won't start another derail or flame war.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:54:31 am by Dae »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 27, 2012, 12:57:59 am »

This update is like warm apple pie.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 27, 2012, 01:55:33 am »

Well I expected my fps to go up... It didnt. Back to quitting my each fort on year 3 to lag death.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 27, 2012, 02:33:32 am »

I don't know why FPS would go up, all the clothes are still in the game.  Just being worn now.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 27, 2012, 02:54:06 am »

Played a fortress up to year 5 (when it was ravaged by the biggest tantrum spiral I ever saw) with 180 dwarves at max, embarx 4X4, and the fps never went below 99. I am very happy with perfomance in fortress mode.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 27, 2012, 03:53:05 am »

Some !!science!! topics which I have read have suggested that dorfs check for claimed clothing every frame, and/or at least the dorfs who lost a bodypart, keep seeking clothing for that bodypart indefinitely (very often). In a way I was hoping that this was THE culprit to the fps decay, and that it's finally over. However the decay still continues for me.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10:47 am »

The release notes for the 34.06 state that they no longer obsess about clothes for lost limbs.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 748