Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715040 times)

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #885 on: March 27, 2012, 06:21:25 am »

Yes, I did not clarify, but that is what I meant. I expected these changes to change a lot of fps issues starting with 34.06.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 27, 2012, 10:10:13 am »

So hauling a creature will stop a mood? I think thats the first time I've seen something stop a mood. A mood is a mood! You can't just stop one, right?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:54 am »

So hauling a creature will stop a mood? I think thats the first time I've seen something stop a mood. A mood is a mood! You can't just stop one, right?
No, mood will not start during leading animals.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 27, 2012, 10:24:12 am »

• removed negative clothing thoughts for children
It's amusing that this makes sense both as a bug fix, and as a feature.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:30 am »

So it will happen once the job is finished? So you couldn't try to get everyone hauling animals except the mood you want?

My latest forts:

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:50 am »

It's interesting that he chose to fix it that way instead of making dwarves just stop leading animals when struck by a mood.  Maybe indicative of the inflexibilities of animal hauling or the job system in general.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 27, 2012, 11:00:31 am »

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

sigged.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 27, 2012, 12:54:55 pm »

It's interesting that he chose to fix it that way instead of making dwarves just stop leading animals when struck by a mood.  Maybe indicative of the inflexibilities of animal hauling or the job system in general.

I think that may have been more from the chaos that would be caused if you were attempting to pit a megabeast when the dwarf was struck by inspiration for that fantastic cedar earring and abandoned the creature to go make his masterpiece. It's a kindness to the player, in a sense.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 27, 2012, 01:37:31 pm »

I think that may have been more from the chaos that would be caused if you were attempting to pit a megabeast when the dwarf was struck by inspiration for that fantastic cedar earring and abandoned the creature to go make his masterpiece. It's a kindness to the player, in a sense.

Heh, I don't remember ever being protected from chaos. That would be a new one. DF has mostly been an exercise in extreme chaos, sometimes resulting from the improper use of soap. Doing something like leading around dangerous animals is asking for chaos. Don't tell me Toady's gone soft on us.

My latest forts:

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 27, 2012, 02:05:09 pm »

Heh, I don't remember ever being protected from chaos. That would be a new one. DF has mostly been an exercise in extreme chaos, sometimes resulting from the improper use of soap. Doing something like leading around dangerous animals is asking for chaos. Don't tell me Toady's gone soft on us.

He did recently remove all the UNTOWARD words like "rape" and "anus" from the in-game vocabularies...

*shifty eyes*
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 27, 2012, 05:15:17 pm »

He did recently remove all the UNTOWARD words like "rape" and "anus" from the in-game vocabularies...

*shifty eyes*

Didn't he say that was just because he got tired of having to forbid them in book names? While I just mod them back in every release I gotta admit to being grateful we don't have "Can The Mysterious Anus of Sluts: Fact or Fiction Save the World?" as a potential book title...
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 27, 2012, 05:28:38 pm »

disallowed moods on dwarves that are leading animals

Why? 
Also, don't you think it's basically a loophole? Because this update contradicts my understand of moods as uncontrollable and not necessarily compatible with sanity.
It would make sense as a part of a larger personality moods rewrite, but I don't think it works as a standalone change.

• removed negative clothing thoughts for children
It's amusing that this makes sense both as a bug fix, and as a feature.
Would be fun if parents got negative thoughts from their children running around naked.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 27, 2012, 06:04:46 pm »

But then the parents would get the immediate unhappy thought when Urist McMom dropped one.

"Odd, I seem to have lost weight.  Oh such a wonderful baby girl...Oh my god she's naked!   Yaaaargh!" *berserk* *throws baby across meeting hall* 

Though I suppose the childbirth thought could just get a counteracting buff and the mom could could go and seek clothing for the little squirt.  Just making nobody give a crap was probably a easier way to fix it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:57 pm »

disallowed moods on dwarves that are leading animals

Why? 

Issue 5699. They would keep towing the animal around while working on their new project. [Edit: Sorry, did you mean, "Why did you fix the issue that way instead of causing the moody dwarf to abandon the animal?"]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:36:35 pm by JasonMel »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 27, 2012, 10:46:31 pm »

So my immigrant hunters will bring bows and quivers again?  Happy day!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 748