Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715160 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #915 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:54 pm »

Well, I've been playing Adventure Mode recently.  Generally, you need more than you think, unless you want to go through the hassle of picking up several pages of individual animal meats, just taking the whole 87 berries is just a time-saver. 

But that's beside the point, you don't really pick up a portion of a stack all that often, even in Adventurer Mode - you pretty much only do it regarding food.  Stack of coins?  Why would you want anything other than the whole stack?  Stack of bolts? What other kinds of stacks do you interact with?

Since you don't have to use it that often, and you generally are doing it to stop and carefully select something, the extra step of hitting shift makes more sense in that context, since you are already saying you are going to take the extra time to dictate the number you want to pick up, rather than the hasty "grab everything" option, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 29, 2012, 07:08:52 pm »

Consistancy with the rest of the game, I mean. When building a gigantic floor, one does not usually press Enter 100 times. Even though Shift-Enter is probably 100x more popular than Enter in fortress mode, that's the convention. The same thing should apply for stacks.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #917 on: March 30, 2012, 12:30:52 am »

Please consider voting for your favored item selection paradigm here.

I for one favor the first, which sets as default the most commonly selected option. I have tried to produce an unbiased poll regardless, please let me know if you disagree.

That said, the entire system should be made moot. ALL identical items in a caravan should be automatically merged in the trade screen. For instance, instead of thirty six separate stacks of plump helmet (5), there will be a single stack labeled Plump Helmet (180). Far, far, far less scrolling, less wear on enter keys, and a much easier way to review the trade caravan's goods.

I would say that if such a change took ten times as long as either of the other changes, it would still be a worthwhile improvement.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:59:46 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 30, 2012, 12:44:12 am »

that's not what lime-green is for. cut it out guys

A thousand times, yes!  You guys have started this conversation in three places now, please do not keep derailing FotF with suggestions.  The whole point of having different forums is that we discuss each topic in its appropriate area, not to discuss the same thing everywhere.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 30, 2012, 06:06:29 am »

Quote from: devlog
mood dwarves ask for metal bars correctly and it says "bones" instead of "body parts"
It's good to see that new players won't be as confused as I was when I got my first moody dwarf. Nice work Toady.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 30, 2012, 06:59:20 am »

That said, the entire system should be made moot. ALL identical items in a caravan should be automatically merged in the trade screen. For instance, instead of thirty six separate stacks of plump helmet (5), there will be a single stack labeled Plump Helmet (180). Far, far, far less scrolling, less wear on enter keys, and a much easier way to review the trade caravan's goods.

I don't think we'll get that until the dwarves can stack on their own as well as unstack.  But without respect to stacking, I would really like a trade screen in which you can just trade for items in lots.  Like, the merchant will present a lot containing 25 bins of assorted leather valued at x dwarfbucks, and your trader counters with y value worth of trade goods.  Or you say, "let's see your armor."  He gives you a list containing just armor, you exclude the highly decorated expensive crap, and purchase just the functional bits without scrolling through pages of animal cages and booze and barrels of animal blood and expensive rope.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #921 on: March 30, 2012, 07:03:46 am »

I just wish food items, clothing, armor, crafts, bars, blocks and ammo came in bins/barrels just like leather and cloth does.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 30, 2012, 07:54:56 am »

I imagine these issues, and more, will be in further releases of the Trade Caravan Arc.  Can't wait! (But I will ;) )

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:29 am »

So how often do these bugfix releases get sent on average?  What is the criteria for determining whether or not a new release should be posted?

Also when will we get proper arthropod reproduction and giant ant colony infestations?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #924 on: March 30, 2012, 08:57:51 am »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 30, 2012, 09:38:51 am »

Yeah, although it might depend on how you characterize the hauling changes since some of those'll be coming pretty soon,

YUS!!!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 30, 2012, 09:54:43 am »

Yeah, although it might depend on how you characterize the hauling changes since some of those'll be coming pretty soon,

YUS!!!

I hope multi-item hauling makes into these hauling changes. I wish for it since I started playing DF.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 30, 2012, 10:11:24 am »

So how often do these bugfix releases get sent on average?  What is the criteria for determining whether or not a new release should be posted?

0.34.01 was released on Feb 14.  In the 45 days since then, there have been 5 releases (not counting 0.34.04, which was more of a hotfix).  Those 5 releases fixed 188 issues, averaging 9 days and 37.6 bugs per release.  Unless there's an exceptionally urgent problem, the release criteria is just about a certain amount of stuff having been fixed (something in the neighborhood of 35 or 40 bugs).

Also when will we get proper arthropod reproduction and giant ant colony infestations?

Timetable/suggestion questions are generally not answerable.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 30, 2012, 04:47:14 pm »

Well, not answer with any satisfaction, Toady general answer to those questions is:

"Sounds goods. No time table."
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 30, 2012, 07:29:38 pm »

Am glad to see that there will be hauling improvements.

Especially the "hello, I really feel useful hauling ONE SINGLE TOOTH for the fortress"

On the other hand single dwarves can haul dragons, so maybe I should not be complaining...
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 748