Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714907 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #930 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:19 pm »

Maybe Foot can answer this one, but:

Is there any desire to update/overhaul artifact descriptions from their perpetual state of menacing spike-itude? Perhaps creating a greater variety of cosmetic descriptions, and/or making item-type appropriate enhancements? For example, a shoe with hanging rings, menacing spikes, inlaid gems and an image as having in-appropriate enhancements for its type.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 31, 2012, 12:33:46 am »

Is there any desire to update/overhaul artifact descriptions from their perpetual state of menacing spike-itude? Perhaps creating a greater variety of cosmetic descriptions, and/or making item-type appropriate enhancements? For example, a shoe with hanging rings, menacing spikes, inlaid gems and an image as having in-appropriate enhancements for its type.
The short answer is yes, that Artifacts are planned to get revamped. Though from what I recall from the dwarf fortress talks, it was more along the lines of making them more useable for Fort and Adventure Mode, more magical, and badass. He didn't explicitly state that the looks of the Artifacts were going to change, but knowing Toady once he in there mucky around with Artifacts, goodness knows what will be changed.

Though I suspect that Artifacts use the Decoration System, which is a general system. It the thing that covers Handles for Buckets, jewel encrusting, plant images ect. I don't recall any hint about this system being revamped.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 31, 2012, 12:46:45 am »

I would like to one day see those sorts of descriptions become raw-editable, since they affect so little (and all decorations are worth the same amount), so that you could define your own types of strange junk, like "has protruding knobs of ____." 

You can define what decoration types are common to what cultures, already, so you could make modded civs have civ-specific tastes in different things you add.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 31, 2012, 03:48:35 am »

In the development  page, under Adventurer role: Explorer,

*Should not be able to cross every river square from travel map unless there's a bridge

shouldn't it be greened out?

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 31, 2012, 04:00:19 am »

Yeah, although it might depend on how you characterize the hauling changes since some of those'll be coming pretty soon, with fire AI sometime after that (since I promised both of these for the bug fix cycle, along with some other stuff).  Regular bug fixes will also continue.  I might be busy until the first with the typical month-end stuff (crayon etc.).
what do U mean by hauling changes?
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark, and say that Toady is going to be adding in some/all of the Hauling Improvements as listed on the Dev Pages.

Well spotted; so potential Hauling Improvement candidates are:
  •     Being able to haul multiple small objects
  •     Having multiple dwarves involved with item hauling for a job
  •     Being able to move multiple objects with roughly the same destination at once
  •     Wheelbarrows to haul more objects than can be carried Minecarts
    •     Wooden, stone-carved and metal tracks
    •     Can be filled like stockpiles and moved between destinations
  •     Work animals to tow carts and haul objects
And this appears to be where Toady mentioned he might tackle hauling (was there anything prior?):
Quote from: Immacolata
Are there any grand plans for how Fortress Mode stockpiles are managed, or some kind of visual identifier, UI something, Grand View? Anything that will make it a sporadic plan-as-you-go player feel more empowered when handling stockpiles?
We are going to do a hauling overhaul as part of this cycle of bugfix releases.  That is going to intersect stockpiles, but I don't know if it's going to cover exactly what you want.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 31, 2012, 04:11:08 am »

He mentioned it yesterday here:

Yeah, although it might depend on how you characterize the hauling changes since some of those'll be coming pretty soon, with fire AI sometime after that (since I promised both of these for the bug fix cycle, along with some other stuff).  Regular bug fixes will also continue.  I might be busy until the first with the typical month-end stuff (crayon etc.).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 31, 2012, 10:45:25 am »

The short answer is yes, that Artifacts are planned to get revamped. Though from what I recall from the dwarf fortress talks, it was more along the lines of making them more useable for Fort and Adventure Mode, more magical, and badass. He didn't explicitly state that the looks of the Artifacts were going to change, but knowing Toady once he in there mucky around with Artifacts, goodness knows what will be changed.

Though I suspect that Artifacts use the Decoration System, which is a general system. It the thing that covers Handles for Buckets, jewel encrusting, plant images ect. I don't recall any hint about this system being revamped.

Mostly I'd just like to see more variety and a higher degree of selection between decorations. After....13 or 14 artifacts in my current fortress, they all sound the same in many ways. As I stop and reflect on the number of decorations, there are actually quite a few already. But they seem to over use available decorations, leaving players feeling less like they've produced some unique artifact and more like it's just a higher tier of the same mass-produced crap dwarves already make. The magic and functionality would certainly help, but aesthetically the descriptions could use an overhaul too, IMO.

Also didn't Toady say that artifacts were going to by and large remain a dwarf civ only thing?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 31, 2012, 11:34:33 am »

Well that uncommon items get produced helps a bit but i too would like to see more decor. That Bow i got in my latest (now for 34.07 to be abandoned fort) was realy nice. It made the base for a squad of bow dwarves.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 31, 2012, 04:20:21 pm »

Also didn't Toady say that artifacts were going to by and large remain a dwarf civ only thing?
I don't recall anything like that - artifacts are supposed to become a big motivator in worldgen activities after all. There was something about artifacts being largely how magic should manifest for dwarves.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 31, 2012, 07:11:37 pm »

I don't recall anything like that - artifacts are supposed to become a big motivator in worldgen activities after all. There was something about artifacts being largely how magic should manifest for dwarves.

It was "Strange moods" that were going to be a dwarf only thing.

Artifacts that occur in other ways he has no objection to. Though that does mean the majority of artifacts are going to be owned by dwarves.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 01, 2012, 07:50:09 am »

And this appears to be where Toady mentioned he might tackle hauling (was there anything prior?):
Ah, improved hauling is top of Eternal Suggestion Voting; that's what I'd missed.  With nearly 1500 votes; and nearly 200 votes more than the second most popular item; no wonder Toady is tackling it.

LeeDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 01, 2012, 08:21:17 am »

I just hope the wait for the next one isn't as long...  ;)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 01, 2012, 09:41:41 am »

I just hope the wait for the next one isn't as long...  ;)

It won't be short though, if he implements everything in under hauling improvements in the development site.

LeeDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 01, 2012, 10:02:49 am »

It won't be short though, if he implements everything in under hauling improvements in the development site.

Well, sure. Nobody can in his right mind expect Toady to suddenly code ten times faster. I just meant I hope to see a couple more of the eternal suggestions implemented within the next two years or so. This would cut into his other plans, of course. Hopefully Toady can find a way to cram them in his schedule.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 01, 2012, 10:31:12 am »

In the development  page, under Adventurer role: Explorer,

*Should not be able to cross every river square from travel map unless there's a bridge

shouldn't it be greened out?

Yeah, he just hasn't gotten around to updating that page in a long time.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 748