Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715045 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1200 on: April 07, 2012, 01:39:25 am »

Oh. Right. Reading it in context, that makes more sense.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 07, 2012, 02:25:59 am »

Also, I received my crayon donation reward last week (Dwarf riding a war-giant-armadillo!!). It came with a pin. Anyone else get one?

I got one too. It looks like a surprise, as Toady never promised them.

About the carts...it looks like it is almost finished.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Related to the hauling improvements, there is still the mining rewrite...we don't have plans for them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:43:25 am by thvaz »

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 07, 2012, 02:26:44 am »

As a dedicated follower of DF, all I can think is "what the fuck?"  I know Toady can really tear through new features sometimes, but he's been working on mine carts for four days and he's already got physics and collisions and stuff.

Inspiration and motivation often come in bursts.  Like other kinds of drugs, though, they tend to be followed by a crash.  Often, you get a few days or a week or two of furious activity followed by a couple weeks of "ugh... I don't even wanna get out of bed."

At least, that's how it works for the other artistic types and coders I know.

So most artists have bipolar disorder... ?

As for Toady, yeah he surprised us. But I think that he spent lots of time drawing plans, thinking about algorithms, maybe even prepared some code etc. during the recent bugfixing time, so he had already most of stuff prepared now when he started actually coding the minecarts. So he probably spent much more time than those 4 days.

By the way I see begining of an era of minecart logic computing!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:28:48 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 07, 2012, 02:52:36 am »

By the way I see begining of an era of minecart logic computing!
I think, more important that it could become another universal solution to all problems instead of magma with proper usage of these accelerating rollers and high accelerating towers. Zombies? Use railgun! FBs? Railgun!

Oh, that actually made me wonder.
Is there any limit to the speed of minecart? Will it reach speed of light after going through synchrotron or very, very tall acceleration tower?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:16:28 am by Urist McDepravity »

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 07, 2012, 06:58:08 am »

I am obviously very exited about minecarts, but got abit worried when I read the devlog post on rollers.
How will those work? Where will they get their energy from? If they have to be connected to some power source, be it animal/dwarf powered pumps, wind/water mills, steam engines or whatever, I am more than happy to handwave the engineering problems inside the roller black box.  I am probably worrying needlessly, though, I doubt toady would add a source of energy just out of the blue.

EDIT: Major reading comprehension fail on my part, both in skimming the last couple of pages of this thread, not noticing the other posts on the exact same topic[!]. and in failing to read the powered part of "powered rollers placed in strips".
I'll leave the post as a mark of shame. Ungreened the questions.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:48:57 am by Gauteamus »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 07, 2012, 07:15:43 am »

EDIT: Major reading comprehension fail on my part, both in skimming the last couple of pages of this thread, not noticing the other posts on the exact same topic[!]. and in failing to read the powered part of "powered rollers placed in strips".
I'll leave the post as a mark of shame.

Ungreen your question as it is already answered to easy Toady's work while searching for valid ones.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 07, 2012, 07:54:03 am »

Question: How do adventurers interact with minecarts? Can they push them? Can they ride, or at least climb on top of, them? Do minecarts provide cover? Etc?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 07, 2012, 09:12:02 am »

So most artists have bipolar disorder... ?
It's a fairly common condition that artists face. I've seen these tendencies in myself, and in several artists I know -- in cases professionally diagnosed with it, and not.

Unfortunately, there is also a long and sordid history of artists self-medicating, and throwing their bodies and minds into destructive tailspin. I'm quite thankful that Toady has not gone this route.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 07, 2012, 09:50:09 am »

About slaves, maybe some civs could make use of them?
Unlikely that it is high priority (see The Magnificent Mermaid Farming Nerf).
What was this? (don't smite me, Footkerchief :P)
At one point merpeople had bones that were ridiculously valuable. So naturally, players started to build forts to capture, breed, and kill them, collecting their bones and selling them to caravans. Then, at some point in the future, merpeople were changed to have ordinary bones. There's a thread somewhere that documents all this.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 07, 2012, 10:56:57 am »

At one point merpeople had bones that were ridiculously valuable. So naturally, players started to build forts to capture, breed, and kill them, collecting their bones and selling them to caravans. Then, at some point in the future, merpeople were changed to have ordinary bones. There's a thread somewhere that documents all this.

And then somebody went and started doing it with sea monsters instead.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 07, 2012, 11:01:51 am »

So with regards to hauling, my current impression is that things might work the following way:

* Dwarves can use bins to collect and haul multiple items at once.
* [speculative?] Stones cannot be hauled in bins (or maybe not at all manually). Wheelbarrows act as bins for hauling stones?
* Minecarts are like wheelbarrows [?], but can be automated (downhill by gravity, uphill by power) and follow tracks. That means no dwarves need to be involved for the hauling part covered by the minecarts at all.

Comments? In particular, presumably because minecarts follow tracks they don't require any pathfinding (other than for loading and unloading items). Could this be a partial solution to our pathfinding FPS woes?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 07, 2012, 11:34:12 am »

And then somebody went and started doing it with sea monsters instead.
Sea monsters are not sentient.

Oh. Right. Reading it in context, that makes more sense.
Hehe. BTW, it may be an interesting explanation how magic works in DF multiverse.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 07, 2012, 11:34:54 am »

Comments? In particular, presumably because minecarts follow tracks they don't require any pathfinding (other than for loading and unloading items). Could this be a partial solution to our pathfinding FPS woes?

Probably not. Every dwarf still needs to pathfind, the minecarts just mean they'll spend less time hauling and more time doing other things.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »

Right, but among these other things are jobs that don't require pathfinding. Less pathfinding jobs means less pathfinding.

Moreover, getting rid of some regular long distance pathfinding jobs might be particularly effective, because the pathfinding algorithm effort grows polynomially to exponentially in the distance (meaning that finding a goal 100 tiles away is way worse than finding a set of 10 goals each 10 tiles away).

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 07, 2012, 01:35:18 pm »

Question:

Are there any plans to implement some kind of camera/view lock system, whereby it's possible to have the game automatically follow a moving object/creature, such as a rolling/flying minecart, up and down Z levels?

This would make the parabolic feature a lot more fun imo, if you could actually see the path things took through the air.  And I'm sure anyone that has embarked on a hilly area knows how frustrating it can be trying to follow a moving creature yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 748