Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714503 times)

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1230 on: April 07, 2012, 11:39:17 pm »

I am deeply amused at how soon after someone mentioned attaching the camera to mobile objects it was announced in the devlog. This next release keeps shaping up to be better and better!

Also, I can't help but wonder if the implementation of rails and stops and powered sections and such might not be laying the groundwork for mobile fortress components.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 07, 2012, 11:42:04 pm »

Damn, looks like nukularpower took my advice involving the whole pineapples and nuclear fission thing...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 07, 2012, 11:49:25 pm »

Cart loading/departing controls seem to be very close to generic standing orders. Makes me wonder if Toady would consider taking detour to finish off those too.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 07, 2012, 11:51:53 pm »

Cart loading/departing controls seem to be very close to generic standing orders. Makes me wonder if Toady would consider taking detour to finish off those too.
They're number two on the ESV, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 07, 2012, 11:56:57 pm »

You can have the camera follow a unit or item, either as a one time thing or as one of the function hotkeys you set up for it. It'll keep following it until you enter another mode, recenter to an announcement, manually scroll, etc. If the followed item is held by a container or by a unit, the camera will center on that.

Okay, forget the carts.  That is probably the best random feature ever.

Which is not to say that the carts aren't awesome, but following creatures around is just so very useful.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 08, 2012, 12:41:52 am »

What happens if you follow a bolt that's in a marksdwarf's inventory, which he then fires?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 08, 2012, 01:07:58 am »

What happens if you follow a bolt that's in a marksdwarf's inventory, which he then fires?

Well as stated in the Dev Log, you track the item. So, my guess is that you track the item.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 08, 2012, 01:10:02 am »

Individual bolt or stack?

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 08, 2012, 01:45:28 am »

My guess is that either the first or last item of a stack is being followed. The first makes more sense though for bolt kill cams.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 08, 2012, 01:49:18 am »

interesting...

so, you kidnapped scamps or something, nukularpower?

I'm guessing he just figured it was a pretty obvious thing to want with this new parabolic projectile tech.. he can't possibly have coded it in just since I asked about it.  Unless he has... help... *thunder crash*

This is going to be really fun when he applies the parabolic trajectories to siege weaponry.. lock to the ballista bolt and away we gooooo
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:51:56 am by nukularpower »

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 08, 2012, 02:09:44 am »

interesting...

so, you kidnapped scamps or something, nukularpower?

I'm guessing he just figured it was a pretty obvious thing to want with this new parabolic projectile tech.. he can't possibly have coded it in just since I asked about it.  Unless he has... help... *thunder crash*

This is going to be really fun when he applies the parabolic trajectories to siege weaponry.. lock to the ballista bolt and away we gooooo

He could've, actually, depending on how he had laid out the framework for camera. If the camera was centered on an abstract invisible object, he could've added a pointer to an object to the camera and said "if this pointer is null, follow abstract target object; else follow pointed object". Everything normally moving the camera would reset the pointer to nothing...
Since the camera already has to move around quite a bit with announcements, zoom to whatever, kill orders, etc, it could be plausible.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 08, 2012, 02:11:37 am »

Quick, someone call out mass smelting as the next feature!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 08, 2012, 04:42:15 am »

Done, use manager/repeat orders.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 08, 2012, 04:50:30 am »

Now I'm anxious to see how much mining will change.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 08, 2012, 05:00:17 am »

I never had issues with this whatsoever. This is one of those jobs that you can set to repeat (also melting items down), and when you run out of items to smelt, the job cancels and informs you so. No spam either, especially if you queued 30 melt orders but designated only 29 items to smelt. The last one will drive you crazy with cancellation messages.

I am deeply amused at how soon after someone mentioned attaching the camera to mobile objects it was announced in the devlog. This next release keeps shaping up to be better and better!

Also, I can't help but wonder if the implementation of rails and stops and powered sections and such might not be laying the groundwork for mobile fortress components.

I see what you did there.

As for the follow feature, I wish that it's something easy =/ like middle click on a unit (and if there are units and items, units get priority; if there are multiple units, choose one. iunno). I say this because, fun as it may be... If it's used with many keystrokes, not counting the cursor and unitlist scrolling, I simply wont be bothered to do it.

Keep your devlogs verbose! We like to read them! =D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:01:58 am by Elone »
▼ It's all their fault. ▼
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 748