Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714488 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1245 on: April 08, 2012, 05:04:21 am »

Well, we all know that mouse support is totally context aware.

So, I think it'll probably be a key press, cursor comes up on the screen, select tile. Then a menu pops up, and you select an item on the menu.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 08, 2012, 05:19:47 am »

New camera tracking feature is awesome ! Hail to the toad !
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:24:27 am by Naryar »

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 08, 2012, 06:15:06 am »

Quote from: Devlog
Each stop gets a list of stockpile parameters, and the stops can be linked to stockpiles and given conditions before the vehicle is set to depart. So you could get a dwarf to send the minecart along when it becomes full or when it is at least halfway full after two weeks.

Reminds me of Transport Tycoon. This makes me wonder, is there any Construction/Simulation game DF isn't going to replace?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 08, 2012, 06:31:30 am »

Friction. Cause who the hell else codes friction into their fantasy simulation games?
Toady is a mad lovecraftian coding god. I think we should pair him up with David Rosen from Wolfire for a couple of weeks and watch them create self-aware ai.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 08, 2012, 07:05:33 am »

New camera tracking feature is awesome ! Hail to the toad !

Hmm, that sounds like a cry of a fanboy XD what with complete disregard the two posts that came before, no actual criticism, and lastly we dont yet know how the feature looks =D

That said, keep it up anyway Toady =3

Each stop gets a list of stockpile parameters, and the stops can be linked to stockpiles and given conditions before the vehicle is set to depart. So you could get a dwarf to send the minecart along when it becomes full or when it is at least halfway full after two weeks.

Reminds me of Transport Tycoon. This makes me wonder, is there any Construction/Simulation game DF isn't going to replace?

Upon reading your post, I said "Challenge accepted", however I find it hard to think of such a game. Perhaps some obscure oneshot gimmick game or such but I dont count those.
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: April 08, 2012, 08:07:54 am »

I'm foreseeing one possible terrible minecart unexpected behavior (not going to call it a bug, because it only kind of is).  Suppose you're moving stone.  Your dwarves move it to a receiving stockpile and throw it from there into the cart.  The cart transports it halfway across the map.  At the initial end, they run out of stone.  Dwarves at the terminus pick up the transported stone and start hauling it all the way back to the initial stockpile to keep it full.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 08, 2012, 08:29:24 am »

I'm foreseeing one possible terrible minecart unexpected behavior (not going to call it a bug, because it only kind of is).  Suppose you're moving stone.  Your dwarves move it to a receiving stockpile and throw it from there into the cart.  The cart transports it halfway across the map.  At the initial end, they run out of stone.  Dwarves at the terminus pick up the transported stone and start hauling it all the way back to the initial stockpile to keep it full.
That wouldn't be a bug though. Thats all working as expected. It just defies real world logic and real world common sense.
Plus you could totally stop that from happening with burrows.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 08, 2012, 08:33:40 am »

In Simutrans forum I reacted that a proposal to include stone layers would make it look like Dwarf fortress. And then today introduces mining railways to Dwarf Fortress.  :P

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:36 am »

That wouldn't be a bug though. Thats all working as expected. It just defies real world logic and real world common sense.
Plus you could totally stop that from happening with burrows.

Well, from the way it's described in today's devlog, it doesn't seem either illogical nor a big problem...

Each stop gets a list of stockpile parameters, and the stops can be linked to stockpiles and given conditions before the vehicle is set to depart.

Seemingly certain stockpiles shall be linked to routes, so I wouldn't expect the non-sanctioned-stockpile-to-stockpile hauling you mentioned to ever happen.  I could be wrong, but stockpile-to-stockpile hauling doesn't even happen now, right? It seems possible that workshops may prompt hauling from distant stockpiles, but then one would assume that works just as it does now, in which case there wouldn't be any closer material so your fort design was borked in the first place.   There doesn't seem to be much reason to worry here.

What would be rather cool would be if workshops could be linked to stockpiles too, to really lock down the production chain.

(edit - just checked the wiki and I did not know that you can already specify stockpile-to-stockpile hauling, but it does have to be designated by the player, man I feel bad I didn't know that!  :( )
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:49:37 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

ag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 08, 2012, 10:39:04 am »

(edit - just checked the wiki and I did not know that you can already specify stockpile-to-stockpile hauling, but it does have to be designated by the player, man I feel bad I didn't know that!  :( )

There is one caveat though - you can only specify one target stockpile. This means it works good for collecting resources, but not for distributing produced items to multiple consumption points (or perhaps pushing resources to mini-stockpiles right next to workshops). You also can't remove a link once it has been made. It would be very nice if these restrictions could be removed some time soon.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:40:35 am by ag »

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 08, 2012, 02:07:05 pm »

Uh, you can totally remove the "take from stockpile" links?  You just hit the key labeled "delete selected" while looking at the stockpile with "q".  It deletes the take from stockpile order, not the entire stockpile, which may have been why you didn't use it before. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 08, 2012, 02:11:10 pm »

There is one caveat though - you can only specify one target stockpile. This means it works good for collecting resources, but not for distributing produced items to multiple consumption points (or perhaps pushing resources to mini-stockpiles right next to workshops). You also can't remove a link once it has been made. It would be very nice if these restrictions could be removed some time soon.

You can actually remove a link. You just make a one tile stockpile, set that as the one target stockpile (overwriting the original), then delete the one tile stockpile.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 08, 2012, 08:49:05 pm »

My guess is that either the first or last item of a stack is being followed. The first makes more sense though for bolt kill cams.

I wasn't aware that the individual items in a stack were stored separately, I just assumed that a stack was essentially the same as a single item but with an integer quantity added on.  In that case, I'd presume that you'd just keep watching the stack, at least until the last bolt is fired.

Toady is a mad lovecraftian coding god. I think we should pair him up with David Rosen from Wolfire for a couple of weeks and watch them create self-aware ai.

URIST9000 looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

Yeah, let's not.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 08, 2012, 09:47:19 pm »

My guess is that either the first or last item of a stack is being followed. The first makes more sense though for bolt kill cams.

I wasn't aware that the individual items in a stack were stored separately, I just assumed that a stack was essentially the same as a single item but with an integer quantity added on.  In that case, I'd presume that you'd just keep watching the stack, at least until the last bolt is fired.

It probably is, but it's probably either coded to follow the first item that gets split off from the stack, or follow the last to get split off from the stack (basically following the stack until it no longer exists as a stack).   

First makes more sense for most things in my opinion, but last is probably easier to code, and there's still reason folks would want to follow a stack until it gets completely split out too instead of following the first to split off.  Probably one of those things Toady had to think about when coding it all in.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 08, 2012, 10:41:24 pm »

Upon reading your post, I said "Challenge accepted", however I find it hard to think of such a game. Perhaps some obscure oneshot gimmick game or such but I dont count those.

Sim Earth.

Toady probably won't ever get to expanding the game to cover players actively changing the rate of continental shift or evolving life from a single-celled organism up until you create the dinosaur civilization space program...

but we can always hope.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 748