Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714852 times)

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1275 on: April 09, 2012, 03:32:32 am »

What effect, if any, will craft quality have on a minecart? Will a mastercraft minecart move faster/carry more/hit harder? Will a dwarf pushing a high quality minecart get a happy thought from it?
The only thing minecraft quality will probably effect is your Fortress wealth. And dorfs will probably get happy thoughts from the minecarts, if they look at them.

But it wont be affect the physical characteristic, at least not with this release, I dont think.

Stray artifact quality minecart hits unsuspecting troll for x3 blunt damage...

A dwarf can dream...
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 09, 2012, 04:30:30 am »

Now I have ideas for a dwarven cartical accelerator.

So it looks like I can do a setup where I have a power axle coming down from a windmill, and a Hotwheels™ style pair of rollers, the eastbound line going to a turnaround that slams the cart back into the westbound line, which hits another 180 turn into the eastbound line, producing an arbitrary duration loop of acceleration.

With two of these and a lever operated splitter, I can then slam carts into each other largely at will.

A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 09, 2012, 08:56:03 am »

Will tracks impede wagon travel if there's no ramps? I want to build a minecart-based defense system that turns on when goblins hit a pressure plate, but then wagons have to get through when the minecarts aren't running and the track's clear.

Also, will minecarts that hit a wall be irreversibly damaged?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:22 am »

Will tracks impede wagon travel if there's no ramps? I want to build a minecart-based defense system that turns on when goblins hit a pressure plate, but then wagons have to get through when the minecarts aren't running and the track's clear.

Wagons haven't been mentioned, so it's a safe bet that they'll keep moving through anything a dwarf can move through, just like before.

Also, will minecarts that hit a wall be irreversibly damaged?

That's probably waiting on item damage in general.  The only special case there is ammo, which minecarts are not.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1279 on: April 09, 2012, 10:12:14 am »

Ah, yeah, I see now.  Yeah, the track connections are between the tiles you designate, and it only lets you designate 1xN and Nx1 rectangles.  Ramps are a little weird -- you have to include the ramp wall or the ramp space when doing the floor above to ensure the connection is placed, but you can tell from the designation symbols how you've done.  You can draw designations through other designations to make 4 way intersections, and designating on top of an active job updates everything correctly.

Is N limited to a small number?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 09, 2012, 10:22:03 am »

That's probably waiting on item damage in general.  The only special case there is ammo, which minecarts are not.

Don't worry foot, I'm sure we'll change that pretty quick.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1281 on: April 09, 2012, 10:28:29 am »

Dwarven Supercolliders are coming.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:05 am »

Ah, yeah, I see now.  Yeah, the track connections are between the tiles you designate, and it only lets you designate 1xN and Nx1 rectangles.  Ramps are a little weird -- you have to include the ramp wall or the ramp space when doing the floor above to ensure the connection is placed, but you can tell from the designation symbols how you've done.  You can draw designations through other designations to make 4 way intersections, and designating on top of an active job updates everything correctly.

Is N limited to a small number?

If it's anything like roads and bridges and such, I bet N is 10. And does anybody know who makes the tracks- is it miners or engravers?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:04 am »

And does anybody know who makes the tracks- is it miners or engravers?

The word Toady used was "carve," which definitely sounds like engravers to me.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: April 09, 2012, 11:02:27 am »

What happens to the contents of a cart when a cart crashes? Would they be flung all over the place or would they stay inside the cart? Would this be different if the contents were 15 shoes or a dwarf? Also, do carts take damage after wrecks and collisions? Will it be possible to repair damaged carts?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 09, 2012, 11:26:06 am »

I figured it was like Fortifications, where the Engraver can carve them in natural stone or your Masons can construct them if the track goes across soil or for color coordination purposes.

And this one goes back a ways, to trying to imagine the speed boosting rollers in a way that makes sense- I've been picturing them like a Hot Wheels track. Just thought I'd share.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 09, 2012, 11:41:14 am »

Will minecarts be able to trigger pressure plates while on their tracks?  In general, will there be a way to use minecarts in things like logic or computing?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:52 am »

Yes, devlog:

04/06/2012: [...] Pressure plates can be given a weight range for being triggered by carts. I tested it out by making a retracting bridge system that sorted carts by whether or not they were loaded. I knew it was working when I started making little kerchunk sounds at the screen. [...]

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 09, 2012, 12:00:11 pm »

Also sounds to me like they will be constructible. Out of stone by masons, out of metal by metalcrafter, out of mermaid bones by the butcher, and whatever profession is appropriate. Hopefully we get multiple track pieces per a metal bar, like in that other incarnation XD . Also, the post spellchecker just tried to change my 'constructible' into 'constructable'.

By the way, after all the questions related to the image below, it only seemed appropriate to go draw it.

Spoiler: Dodge this! (click to show/hide)

Did I portray it accurately? O.o
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 09, 2012, 12:07:01 pm »

I was thinking those cart boosters would look more like those log pushers in the woodcutting mills in skyrim.  Not boosting them off at 50 mph more like hooking onto the undercarriage and pushing up an incline.  Maybe with enough speed to get it up a single ramp.

Minecarts are heavy after all, and if the weight of the minecart exceeds the weight of the water pushing on the wheel the cart is going nowhere.  Any gearing to increase the speed is just going to increase the effective weight of the cart against the system.  Hell it would probably need to be downshifted in reality to get a loaded cart going anywhere.

But I'm not a mechanic so I'm not 100% on all the forces at play.  And at any rate we're talking about a power system with someplace around 500% efficiency, so I guess it's moot anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 748