Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3728589 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1350 on: April 10, 2012, 07:59:02 pm »

If buildings can be placed on tracks, does that mean you can designate stockpiles on tracks? If so, what happens to the items on the track when a minecart barrels through?

I somehow doubt they would be vacuumed up into the cart.

They'll probably be ignored, because I doubt there is code in there for causing a collision with just any random object.  (Of course, there's always the potential for a monarch butterfly's corpse to be left on the tracks, causing a derail that flings projectile ores at any nearby dwarves...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 10, 2012, 08:04:53 pm »

If buildings can be placed on tracks, does that mean you can designate stockpiles on tracks? If so, what happens to the items on the track when a minecart barrels through?

I somehow doubt they would be vacuumed up into the cart.

They'll probably be ignored, because I doubt there is code in there for causing a collision with just any random object.  (Of course, there's always the potential for a monarch butterfly's corpse to be left on the tracks, causing a derail that flings projectile ores at any nearby dwarves...)
This makes me think about whether or not living vermin will collide with carts. That could be troublesome!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 10, 2012, 08:10:33 pm »

Reminds me of that time in Boatmurdered when a monarch butterfly's corpse jammed open a door and let a gobbo ambush in...probably what NW_Kohaku was going for...

Anyhoo, Toady, have you had a chance to playtest this test version? If not, do it sometime--you'll relax (hopefully) and still, technically, be working on DF. If so, how much have you found that these tracks affect your fortress design? Everyone seems to be assuming that it's a huge change, comparable to the shift from 2D to 3D, but is it really? Or is pure dwarven muscle power still the simplest way to haul goods around?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 10, 2012, 08:19:32 pm »

They'll probably be ignored, because I doubt there is code in there for causing a collision with just any random object.
That would be the easiest option. Although it would probably also be relatively simple to hook it up to the same flingify routine as bridges use...

What happens if you set a cart to free-roll to its destination but it runs out of momentum? Does a dwarf go collect it (at the players orders or automatically)?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:40 pm »

if bridges can serve the same purpose as tracks, can they be used to redirect cart flow?

this is assuming that minecarts traveling from the south end of figure 1 will turn on the track and head east. If the bridge and floodgate in figure 2 are lowered by a lever or pressure plate, will minecarts start using the straight bridge for direction and head north, or will their pathing still use the track lying beneath the bridge, causing them to turn and barrel into the floodgate?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1355 on: April 11, 2012, 01:38:47 am »

I foresee many accidental atom smashes or adamantine containing carts :-)

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #1356 on: April 11, 2012, 01:51:38 am »

I foresee many accidental atom smashes or adamantine containing carts :-)

Not to mention dwarves, since it's looking like they will be riding along with the carts now.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 11, 2012, 02:06:40 am »

if bridges can serve the same purpose as tracks, can they be used to redirect cart flow?

this is assuming that minecarts traveling from the south end of figure 1 will turn on the track and head east. If the bridge and floodgate in figure 2 are lowered by a lever or pressure plate, will minecarts start using the straight bridge for direction and head north, or will their pathing still use the track lying beneath the bridge, causing them to turn and barrel into the floodgate?
'

Wouldn't you only need something like this?

Code: [Select]
+++++
+++++
==_==
+|+++
+|+++
(with = and | as horiz/vert tracks, _ as a bridge).

With the bridge retracted, the cart coming from the left sees a turn downwards, whereas if the bridge is extended it sees a straight path ahead. I'm assuming that since T-junctions won't work, the game doesn't see particular tracks as 'turns', and instead just goes straight at all intersections, and turns when no intersections.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #1358 on: April 11, 2012, 02:15:53 am »

Wouldn't you only need something like this?

Code: [Select]
+++++
+++++
==_==
+|+++
+|+++
(with = and | as horiz/vert tracks, _ as a bridge).

With the bridge retracted, the cart coming from the left sees a turn downwards, whereas if the bridge is extended it sees a straight path ahead. I'm assuming that since T-junctions won't work, the game doesn't see particular tracks as 'turns', and instead just goes straight at all intersections, and turns when no intersections.

My guess is that would be the same as a T intersection with the right branch going in to a wall.  Unless There is special code to "disconnect" a direction when the cell it leads to is a retracted bridge.  Which I don't think is likely from what Toady has been posting.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 11, 2012, 02:51:00 am »

The carts seem to be grabbing and giving up bins and barrels properly now, so that's good.

How many barrels/bins can a single cart carry?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 11, 2012, 02:52:25 am »

The carts seem to be grabbing and giving up bins and barrels properly now, so that's good.

How many barrels/bins can a single cart carry?

To expand on this, in what terms is a cart's capacity expressed? Is it total volume of items carried, total mass of items carried, number of items, or something else?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 11, 2012, 05:31:39 am »

What happens if a hauler loads & launches a cart with orders to ride on it if its route passes out of his/her burrow?

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:25 am »

What happens if a hauler loads & launches a cart with orders to ride on it if its route passes out of his/her burrow?

Perhaps this.

▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 11, 2012, 08:57:00 am »

Don't know if anyone has asked this yet, but, with dwarfs riding carts, will the sheriff be able to issue DWI's?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:46 am »

Don't know if anyone has asked this yet, but, with dwarfs riding carts, will the sheriff be able to issue DWI's?

Thats hilarious, the whole fort would be imprisoned. I think he would be handing out more DWS's, drinking while sober.

"I see you've been driving, at the speed limit... when was your last drink? You havent enjoyed a drink in a long long time? Deputy ... get my hammer"
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 748