Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715039 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1365 on: April 11, 2012, 09:09:09 am »

Don't know if anyone has asked this yet, but, with dwarfs riding carts, will the sheriff be able to issue DWI'sDWS?

Fixed that.  Driving While Sober.  Public Sobriety is usually considered a hammer worthy offense.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 11, 2012, 09:40:51 am »

I assume the current system of powered rails and friction rails are just placeholders until improved mechanisms where they will be replaced with a proper mechanical system.  Am I correct in assuming this?

Is there any advantage to using wood or metal rails as opposed to carved rails other then being able to build on constructed floors.

How will large quantities of stone and ore be stored?  Will you allow stone filled bins in stone stockpiles or will there be something like a stone hopper constructed container?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:11 am »

Thats hilarious, the whole fort would be imprisoned. I think he would be handing out more DWS's, drinking while sober.

"I see you've been driving, at the speed limit... when was your last drink? You havent enjoyed a drink in a long long time? Deputy ... get my hammer"

"BENDER! You're blind, stinkin' SOBER!"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #1368 on: April 11, 2012, 11:11:13 am »

I know the contents of cages become invulnerable, will this be true of mine carts? More specifically, if I drowned a magma safe cart in a pool of magma, will it set the contents on fire/melt them down?
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 11, 2012, 02:29:00 pm »

Wouldn't you only need something like this?

Code: [Select]
+++++
+++++
==_==
+|+++
+|+++
(with = and | as horiz/vert tracks, _ as a bridge).

With the bridge retracted, the cart coming from the left sees a turn downwards, whereas if the bridge is extended it sees a straight path ahead. I'm assuming that since T-junctions won't work, the game doesn't see particular tracks as 'turns', and instead just goes straight at all intersections, and turns when no intersections.

My guess is that would be the same as a T intersection with the right branch going in to a wall.  Unless There is special code to "disconnect" a direction when the cell it leads to is a retracted bridge.  Which I don't think is likely from what Toady has been posting.

I think you misunderstand how tracks work.  From Toady's response, it appears that tracks won't work like Minecraft tracks when it comes to building them.  If you intended that junction to be a corner, then even if the bridge was there the carts would turn.  There's no recalculation of direction at any time as far as I can tell. So, that means if I followed those plans to the letter carts coming up from the 'south' would always derail, and carts going 'east'/'west' would always carry on unless they didn't have enough speed to pass over a one-tile gap.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:33:05 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 11, 2012, 02:36:56 pm »

I think you misunderstand how tracks work.  From Toady's response, it appears that tracks won't work like Minecraft tracks when it comes to building them.  If you intended that junction to be a corner, then even if the bridge was there the carts would turn.  There's no recalculation of direction at any time as far as I can tell. So, that means if I followed those plans to the letter carts coming up from the 'south' would always derail, and carts going 'east'/'west' would always carry on unless they didn't have enough speed to pass over a one-tile gap.

Northbound carts shouldn't derail so long as the bridge is up.  The bridge should probably cover the "corner" piece of the turn, however, so that it will be treated like a not-intersection when the cart hits the corner if the bridge is either down or up - either it's a normally engraved corner, or it's a bridge where you just continue on the current path forward without it counting as "derailing".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 11, 2012, 04:58:29 pm »

Will it be possible to strap a POW into the cart against his/her/its will and send it down the tracks with the cart? I assume this job will require ropes or chains to prevent the prisoner from simply bailing and running off into the sunset.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »

What about brakes? I know we all want carts to be able to go ‼FAST‼, but at time we'll want to slow them down, too. If I need to move stuff down to my forges by the magma sea, 100 z-levels down, I'd like to create a helix of ramps and corners, but it sounds like they'd quickly build up too much speed to make it around the corners. Are there plans for some sort of a "braking section" of tracks to slow carts down?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 11, 2012, 05:20:19 pm »

What about brakes? I know we all want carts to be able to go ‼FAST‼, but at time we'll want to slow them down, too. If I need to move stuff down to my forges by the magma sea, 100 z-levels down, I'd like to create a helix of ramps and corners, but it sounds like they'd quickly build up too much speed to make it around the corners. Are there plans for some sort of a "braking section" of tracks to slow carts down?

Quote from: Devlog 4/6/12
I added track "stop" constructions, which greatly increase the friction in a square and cause (most) carts to stop (say, blocks, narrowing grooves, whatever might work).

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 11, 2012, 05:29:56 pm »

Northbound carts shouldn't derail so long as the bridge is up.  The bridge should probably cover the "corner" piece of the turn, however, so that it will be treated like a not-intersection when the cart hits the corner if the bridge is either down or up - either it's a normally engraved corner, or it's a bridge where you just continue on the current path forward without it counting as "derailing".

EDIT: On further review, I think you aren't getting it either.

+++++
+++++
==_==
+|+++
+|+++

If you designated the horizontal tracks all as one track, and the vertical tracks as one track, and didn't overlap them, there would be no automatic corner.  You'd simply have a track going E/W and stopping before the bridge, and one going N/S stopping before the E/W track.

You'd need something closer to this to get the effect you want:

Although, I don't think the floodgate is necessary, and the north track can come a little bit closer to the turn.  I'll write a thread on how I understand rails to work and have Toady verify it as soon as I'm done with this paper I'm working on...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:42:35 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 11, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »

Will we be able to remove carved tracks?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 11, 2012, 06:32:21 pm »

Quote from: Devlog 4/6/12
I added track "stop" constructions, which greatly increase the friction in a square and cause (most) carts to stop (say, blocks, narrowing grooves, whatever might work).

But I don't want my carts to stop. I just want them to slow down some. They're on their way to the forges down there at level -100 from my hematite mine at level -10. I don't want them to stop at level -11, but I also  don't want them going so fast that they fly off a curve by the time they've gone down 10 ramps to level -20.

(Achievement unlocked: Used they're, their and there properly in the same sentence)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 11, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »

EDIT: On further review, I think you aren't getting it either.

+++++
+++++
==_==
+|+++
+|+++

If you designated the horizontal tracks all as one track, and the vertical tracks as one track, and didn't overlap them, there would be no automatic corner.  You'd simply have a track going E/W and stopping before the bridge, and one going N/S stopping before the E/W track.

You'd need something closer to this to get the effect you want:

Although, I don't think the floodgate is necessary, and the north track can come a little bit closer to the turn.  I'll write a thread on how I understand rails to work and have Toady verify it as soon as I'm done with this paper I'm working on...

I was saying that Fault's idea was the correct idea, that's why I was saying you'd have to change how the bridge was set up so that it covers the "corner".  (And that, no, you wouldn't need the floodgate, and the bridge could be one tile shorter, and that bridge should be displayed while in the "up" position.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 11, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »

Why would a bridge be necessary at all? What about only using the floodgate:
═══════╦X═══════
 ->    ║
       ║
      |║
      v║
       ║
       ║
       ║
       ║
       ║
═══════╦════════
 ->    ║   ->
       ║
       ║
       ║
       ║
       ║
       ║
       ║
       ║

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 11, 2012, 09:13:11 pm »

Why would a bridge be necessary at all? What about only using the floodgate:

The game may still recognize the "T" intersection as an intersection, instead of treating it as a corner.  In that code that you showed, it still looked like a "T", since you didn't update the graph just because the tile next to it changed.  Would the game be any different?

In that case, the cart would crash into the floodgate, or fly off the rails when approaching from any direction.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 748