Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714615 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1380 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »

and that bridge should be displayed while in the "up" position

it's been a while since I've used a retracting bridge, but don't they completely dissapear when 'raised'?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 11, 2012, 09:28:52 pm »

it's been a while since I've used a retracting bridge, but don't they completely dissapear when 'raised'?

No, they have the same "╬" sign as fortifications or cross-junctions in walls when they are one tile wide, or else they have a shape that looks like "╞══╡" when they are multiple tiles wide.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:46 pm »

No, they have the same "╬" sign as fortifications or cross-junctions in walls when they are one tile wide, or else they have a shape that looks like "╞══╡" when they are multiple tiles wide.
I think they still completely disappear when raised. Obviously, they are visible when lowered.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 11, 2012, 09:34:35 pm »

I think they still completely disappear when raised. Obviously, they are visible when lowered.
No, detractable bridges disappear, while raised bridges leave one edge as wall.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 11, 2012, 10:13:19 pm »

Ahhhh, sorry, I was confused by the "raised", and overlooked the "retractable".  Any bridge that can be raised isn't a retractable bridge.   :P

I basically never use retractable bridges, since the wall that forms is often more useful for me, so I just think of all bridges as drawbridges. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 11, 2012, 10:34:50 pm »

It's less retracting and more leaving and entering existence.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 11, 2012, 11:44:41 pm »

Thats hilarious, the whole fort would be imprisoned. I think he would be handing out more DWS's, drinking while sober.

"I see you've been driving, at the speed limit... when was your last drink? You havent enjoyed a drink in a long long time? Deputy ... get my hammer"

"BENDER! You're blind, stinkin' SOBER!"

"Urist McTeetotaler (bet none of you thought THIS name would ever come up!)!  I can't smell booze on your breath!  Are you secretly a vampire?!"
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1387 on: April 12, 2012, 12:08:04 am »

So apparently someone dedicated their thesis in a rather unique way...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 12, 2012, 11:58:27 am »

Quote from: Torchy
Can you have interconnected track lines, that is to say, a system where a track could have "tributaries" that lead into it and join into the main line? Such that you could have, for example, three starting branches in a line converging into a single ending segment?

Yeah, you can set that up -- if a track deadends into a corner without actually forming a T, it'll allow the cart to pass into the corner without disruption, and you can set up tributaries that way.  T's themselves don't have a defined preference for direction, so are useless for a cart that isn't passing along the straight part.  4-way tracks just allow carts to continue on straight.  So as it stands, a T is just an unfinished 4-way intersection.
I don't think I properly understand the situation in which this would work, but in the case of a T, wouldn't it be fairly trivial to circumvent this by putting a mechanized accelerator pointing in the right direction?

Not greened because I'm more or less off the grid lately and I didn't read the thread too thoroughly so it's possible that this was discussed and I missed it.

I assume the current system of powered rails and friction rails are just placeholders until improved mechanisms where they will be replaced with a proper mechanical system.  Am I correct in assuming this?

Probably not. These components make reasonable sense in their current states, and generally Toady doesn't implement things he intends to later redo unless it's essential for something else.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 12, 2012, 12:05:58 pm »

With dwarves in carts a horrifying idea came to me. What if we put axedwarves in carts and launch them off ramps at goblin archers? Sort of a primitive drop pod system. We'd have ODST (Orbital Dwarf Shock Troops) thats what.

Even if they would be mulched on impact with the ground I have to wonder:

Will we be able to designate specific carts for specific dwarves or will it only be a first come first served basis?
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 12, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »

I was saying that Fault's idea was the correct idea, that's why I was saying you'd have to change how the bridge was set up so that it covers the "corner".  (And that, no, you wouldn't need the floodgate, and the bridge could be one tile shorter, and that bridge should be displayed while in the "up" position.)
Oh, my fault (no pun intended) for misinterpreting you.

Also, I think a one-tile retracting bridge at the corner would be enough to make a switch junction.

With dwarves in carts a horrifying idea came to me. What if we put axedwarves in carts and launch them off ramps at goblin archers? Sort of a primitive drop pod system. We'd have ODST (Orbital Dwarf Shock Troops) thats what.
[...]
Will we be able to designate specific carts for specific dwarves or will it only be a first come first served basis?
You definately aren't the first to think of that, and even if so you can restrict things with burrows.

EDIT:
There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding how rails work and how they are designated.  I hope to clear this up with some thourough examples and walkthroughs.

NOTE: At the moment, this is only my understanding of how they work; while I feel confident in it I am not infallible by any means.  I hope to get Toady to verify the correctness of this next Future of the Fortress responce. (Unverified conclusions will be marked in green, verified in cyan.)

Example Walkthroughs:
Spoiler: "Parallel Tracks" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Designating a Turn" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "'Fake' T-Junctions" (click to show/hide)

EDIT: all verified by Toady!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:43:31 am by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 12, 2012, 12:52:50 pm »

[...]
You definately aren't the first to think of that, and even if so you can restrict things with burrows.

I may be rather new to the forums but by no means did I mean to imply that I was the first to think about this. I would be deeply suprised if I was. I was simply thinking out loud is all.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 12, 2012, 02:40:57 pm »

I was immediately drawn to the following comment today:

"Hopefully that code linking vehicles/projectiles and units will also set up some horrifying possibilities for collisions of carts and units, which is also coming up."

Hopefully, lol.  Thank you Toady, for starting my day with a good laugh :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 12, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »

vehicles/projectiles

So vehicles are projectiles, eh? Here's hoping the first minecart versions have size/striking-surface bugs that allow them to stick in goblins like bolts...
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:06 pm »

vehicles/projectiles

So vehicles are projectiles, eh? Here's hoping the first minecart versions have size/striking-surface bugs that allow them to stick in goblins like bolts...

Carts are raw-editable.  Why hope for a bug, when you can do it on purpose? 

Since dwarves can ride them, you could also your carts skateboards that just happen to grind double-rails continuously for a Tony Hawk Fortress.  Be sure to add jumps so you get more stunt multipliers.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 748