Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715109 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1635 on: April 24, 2012, 10:32:34 am »

You might as well just green questions, even if you don't know if they've been asked before. If they've been answered, you'll get a reply with the answer. If they haven't been answered but have been asked then you will get lumped in with the other people who asked when it comes time for Toady to answer.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: April 24, 2012, 01:56:34 pm »

Generic vehicles such as boats have the problem of often being multi-tile.  In a cube-based game, something like a boat has problems because a multi-tile object that turns causes all sorts of headaches what with objects in the boat translocating relative to the internals of the ship to match the new alignment of the boat.

If you mean things that are just one-tile objects that move around, you might be talking more about mounts, and that's coming up soonish according to the devpages.  (Release 7, although those releases are obviously subject to being changed.)
You're right about multi-tile objects and turning, of course. The idea would be a multi-tile vehicle turning only in 90 degrees increments, pretty much like balistas turn right now.

But when I posted, I was thinking on war chariots (wheel-scythes purely optional). I know they are more a bronze/iron age thing, but I dig them. I had pictured them in game as single tile objects, being dragged behind a mount-animal.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: April 24, 2012, 03:30:13 pm »

Generic vehicles such as boats have the problem of often being multi-tile.  In a cube-based game, something like a boat has problems because a multi-tile object that turns causes all sorts of headaches what with objects in the boat translocating relative to the internals of the ship to match the new alignment of the boat.

I don't see this problem being particularly solvable in DF.  The easiest way to deal with it would probably be squares.  I'd love to see 3x3 and 5x5 rafts . . . maybe barges as large as 10x10--and then just not bother with having them spin (or if so, just spinning through 90 degree rotations). 

1x2 canoes would probably be doable also without deforming geometry too much.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: April 24, 2012, 03:44:04 pm »

Bros I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I was wondering, will the implementation of object collisions (with minecarts) also be used to update siege engine projectiles?  I mean, so that giant catapult boulders will send people flying or smash them into a pulp when they hit, instead of just bouncing off of their armor?

I would green this question, but I guess someone must have already asked about it.
EDIT: I didnt mean my answer to sound ambiguous. Yea, the new physic still eventually get applied to the seige weapons, but not for this release.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:02:06 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: April 25, 2012, 12:37:29 am »

Quote from: Toady One
I was able to bowl in the arena with a debug cart ball and aardvark pins, with various cascades and skidding. Nothing against aardvarks -- the alphabet just works against them for once.

Murderer! No toad shall survive in my forts, and no court will convict me!
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1640 on: April 25, 2012, 10:30:40 am »

Quote from: Toady One
I was able to bowl in the arena with a debug cart ball and aardvark pins, with various cascades and skidding. Nothing against aardvarks -- the alphabet just works against them for once.

Murderer! No toad shall survive in my forts, and no court will convict me!

If it's any comfort, I'm sure they were all proletariat aardvarks.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:33 am »

If it's any comfort, I'm sure they were all proletariat aardvarks.

I loves me some out-of-context sigs.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: April 25, 2012, 08:03:03 pm »

Any idea when mugs will actually be used?  At this point they're pretty much decorations and useless bobbles taking up my finished good bins.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: April 25, 2012, 08:17:44 pm »

Any idea when mugs will actually be used?  At this point they're pretty much decorations and useless bobbles taking up my finished good bins.
Mugs, and instruments have been brought up a few times in the dwarf fortress talks.

As for a timeline, this Dwarf Fortress. It doesnt even use Valve Time.

Now, Release 3 & 4, have been stated in Dwarf Fortress Talks, to when Mugs and musical instruments might get used.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »

Yeah, Dorf Mode Inns is probably the most likely for musical instruments, and Taverns is a pretty good shot for Mugs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:42 pm »

Skipping on Liquids! Holy crap!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: April 25, 2012, 11:07:31 pm »

I'm liking the idea of filling something full of magma, but I wonder if it will be easier to fill a cart up with magma and fling it at my enemies, or if it will be easier to just build magma cannons.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:00 pm »

I'm liking the idea of filling something full of magma, but I wonder if it will be easier to fill a cart up with magma and fling it at my enemies, or if it will be easierDwarfyer to just build magma cannons.
Fixed that for you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:07 pm »

I'm liking the idea of filling something full of magma, but I wonder if it will be easier to fill a cart up with magma and fling it at my enemies, or if it will be easier to just build magma cannons.

Well, you need a complex series of 100% magma-safe pumps alongside a system to power all those pumps for a magma cannon, because magma has no natural pressure, while for minecarts, you send a magma-safe minecart through some magma. and out the other side.

Which one sounds easier to you?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: April 25, 2012, 11:15:47 pm »

Skipping on Liquids! Holy crap!

I smell a new dwarven past-time. I can't wait to see transport systems that require a cart to skip across a lake.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 748