Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714612 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1680 on: April 27, 2012, 12:43:14 pm »

Since adamantine is so light, will adamantine minecarts be able to "float" on the surface of water? Like act as odd boats? :P Or does DF not have a concept of surface tension or bouyancy?
Nope, no hint at all that buoyancy has been added to the game at all.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:55 pm »

Well then: Any plans for boats to be added if candy carts sink?
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:43 pm »

Well then: Any plans for boats to be added if candy carts sink?
Yep, vehicles of all sorts are planned, and boats themselves have been brought up in multiple DF Talks.

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: April 27, 2012, 07:25:24 pm »

Can the mine carts be fully automated, or do you still need a dwarf to push the cart off the stop?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:21 pm »

The lye/water issues, yes. You know, buckets full of stuff that can't be used.
Do you mean the bug that was resolved on the 16th and is mentioned on the dev log?
Probably, I haven't been keeping up that well.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: April 27, 2012, 11:27:48 pm »

Wooo, so many improvements! Minecart brakes! Workshops with dedicated stockpiles! Stockpiles that can be used in feeder chains without worry about other clutter! I'm so very very excited about this.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: April 28, 2012, 01:05:34 am »

Wooo, so many improvements! Minecart brakes! Workshops with dedicated stockpiles! Stockpiles that can be used in feeder chains without worry about other clutter! I'm so very very excited about this.

Wow, me too!   I really love that Toady takes the time to implement features right; the hauling changes have been far more sweeping than I had imagined they would be.  Not only that but they sound immensely fun, used either seriously or for Fun.  I probably say this every release, but I cant think of another game in development with features that are so awesome.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: April 28, 2012, 05:57:25 am »

I dont think we can set up real feeder chain with stockpiles yet, but this is defiantly a step in the right direction, but I wouldnt be really surprised if the stockpiles still had the limitation of One Link.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: April 28, 2012, 10:07:07 am »

I dont think we can set up real feeder chain with stockpiles yet, but this is defiantly a step in the right direction, but I wouldnt be really surprised if the stockpiles still had the limitation of One Link.

We couldn't distribute items with stockpiles before, but now if we can limit where the items feed into stockpiles from, we can have multiple 'origin' stockpiles that feed into the next step in the chain which only takes from their associated origin. The reverse was already entirely possible.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: April 28, 2012, 03:40:59 pm »

Along with the changes to stockpiles and workshops you mentioned, is it possible for multiple smaller stockpiles to take from a single "clearing house" stockpile, essentially creating a centralized distribution network? Last I checked this wasn't possible.

Also, will workshops be able to only take from a designated input stockpile?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:43:11 pm by Sidhien »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: April 28, 2012, 11:39:53 pm »

You've mentioned that you're working how minecarts are stored, as well as optimizing bin usage. Are we going to see little stations that can store minecarts or bins, or whatever, that are different in some way from stockpiles? For example, if you're training up your carpenters on minecarts, the unused, spare minecarts would just be tossed into a stockpile, but you could build a "minecart shed" that was hooked up to the tracks and tell it "OK, I've assigned 7 minecarts to this track, and when you're done with them put them back here." Otherwise, for example, you could have a situation where when Urist McHauler finishes running ten pieces of chalk down to the smelters, he drags the cart all the way to the stockpile, and then when he needs a new one, he goes back to the stockpile and drags it back up onto the tracks, which strikes me as probably sort of inefficient and also possibly leading to congestion if you've got a stockpile set to accept chalk and 15 idle haulers decide "Hey, I'm gonna go drag down some chalk." This way, you'd be able to say, in effect, "No more than 10 carts on the track at a time, and here are the 10 you can use."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:46:44 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: April 29, 2012, 12:17:59 am »

Along with the changes to stockpiles and workshops you mentioned, is it possible for multiple smaller stockpiles to take from a single "clearing house" stockpile, essentially creating a centralized distribution network?[/color] Last I checked this wasn't possible.
After rereading it again, the changes done to stockpiles, is that you can make then Exclusive to their One Link. The list of Valid Links were expanded, to include Workshops (output only), & Minecart stops.
So largely stockpiles will function the same.

Also, will workshops be able to only take from a designated input stockpile?
From the currently available dev log, nope. It says "...to give only", so you'll still have to use close stockpiles.

EDIT: With the Dev Log on April 29th my answers are moot.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:10:38 pm by MrWiggles »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: April 29, 2012, 02:43:29 am »

Wow, me too!   I really love that Toady takes the time to implement features right; the hauling changes have been far more sweeping than I had imagined they would be.  Not only that but they sound immensely fun, used either seriously or for Fun.  I probably say this every release, but I cant think of another game in development with features that are so awesome.
I love this and I hope that "only one link" limitation will be removed.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:18 am »

After going through the new DF talk I wound up with a few questions unrelated to the current hauling changes, but certainly relevant to the future of the fortress. Now that site continuation after worldgen is being considered, could we get a glimpse into your thoughts on how you are going to implement it? Are you considering something involving an actual continuation of worldgen where cities can expand their walls and wars are waged, or something simpler like checking population, available jobs, need for food, etc. and then recalculating population and goods every year?
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: April 29, 2012, 04:21:30 pm »

Would it be possible to use the rail framework thing to create a way to move siege engines around? I think it was mentioned somewhere in the DF talk but I'm not sure. What else are you planning to use rails with in the future? Are moving wall sections a possibility?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 748