Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714751 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1695 on: April 29, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »

I wonder if I'm only one who considers proper stockpiles/workshops relation graph implementation (w/out these silly restrictions on count or direction of links) even better than whole minecarts stuff?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 29, 2012, 09:34:05 pm »

Quote from: devlog 4/29
Stockpiles can now be set to give items to multiple stockpiles. You can also set stockpiles to give to a workshop, in which case the workshop will only use items from its piles.

Aw hell yeah. Now I can have a Mason's Workshop for all my magma safe stone, and my garbage stone, and training Forges drawing on shit metals... good times.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:21 pm »

Sometimes a big cause of hauling inefficiency is just have too many idle dwarves. Imagine having 50 stones in some distant, deep room and you want to move it to a stockpile in the fort. It would be best to have a couple of guys load up a minecart and send it home along the tracks, but you know it wouldn't work that way, especially if you have 50 or more idle dwarves. Most likely they would all like to pick up a stone, put it in the minecart and then walk all the way back to the dining room empty handed, for a gain of zero efficiency.

Solving this problem sounds technically difficult, so I want to ask:

Are there cases where a busy dwarf will be considered a better job recipient than an idle dwarf? How have you handled this so far?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, we can handle it ourselves by simply having few stone haulers. Heh, maybe this issue does not require complex problem solving.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:07:04 pm by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 29, 2012, 11:55:33 pm »

What else are you planning to use rails with in the future? Are moving wall sections a possibility?

Yep.

Its listed twice on the Development Page. Even the moving Siege weapons part is.
Quote from: Dev Page
Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)

Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:58:06 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:42 am »

Stockpiles can now be set to give items to multiple stockpiles.

Wheeee!

You can also set stockpiles to give to a workshop, in which case the workshop will only use items from its piles.

Wheeee!

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: April 30, 2012, 08:10:40 am »

Sometimes a big cause of hauling inefficiency is just have too many idle dwarves. Imagine having 50 stones in some distant, deep room and you want to move it to a stockpile in the fort. It would be best to have a couple of guys load up a minecart and send it home along the tracks, but you know it wouldn't work that way, especially if you have 50 or more idle dwarves. Most likely they would all like to pick up a stone, put it in the minecart and then walk all the way back to the dining room empty handed, for a gain of zero efficiency.

Solving this problem sounds technically difficult, so I want to ask:

Are there cases where a busy dwarf will be considered a better job recipient than an idle dwarf? How have you handled this so far?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, we can handle it ourselves by simply having few stone haulers. Heh, maybe this issue does not require complex problem solving.
Quote from: devlog 04/02/2012
The hauling changes have begun. This afternoon there were dwarves running around with bins, bags and barrels, vacuuming up items. Seeing a single dwarf clean up a seed-ridden dining room as a single job is a beautiful thing.
I don't know for sure, but this devlog suggests a single dwarf loading an entire room of stones into one container (in this case a minecart) as a single job, thereby bypassing the problem of getting one dwarf to do the same job in the same area over and over.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1701 on: April 30, 2012, 10:48:56 am »

I have to say, minecarts and hauling have been two of the most demanded changes to fortress mode for years. What's next? Dwarves who realize they're on fire? Lights?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 30, 2012, 11:06:26 am »

What's next? Dwarves who realize they're on fire?

Unless I'm mistaken, that was the other thing that was supposed to be in this update. I can't access the main page right now, otherwise I'd hunt down the relevant devlog.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 30, 2012, 11:15:57 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, that was the other thing that was supposed to be in this update. I can't access the main page right now, otherwise I'd hunt down the relevant devlog.
Not in the next update most likely, but during this cycle of bugfixes (that is, before Toady gets back to the caravan arc releases - it's not quite a bugfix cycle anymore). Also better support of resizing the window, and maybe, maybe, other ESV items.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 30, 2012, 11:24:32 am »

I have to say, minecarts and hauling have been two of the most demanded changes to fortress mode for years. What's next? Dwarves who realize they're on fire? Lights?

"The other thing I said I would definitely do is make dwarves respond a little better to fire"

From the latest df talk ^^

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:53 pm »

I didn't listen to the latest FotF . . . will a dwarf that's on fire cause nearby dwarves to get a "douse flaming dwarf" job?  Are there going to be personality effects?  I can picture a cool-headed dwarf grabbing a bucket of water from a water stockpile (we should totally have water stockpiles) and putting himself out, while a more high strung dwarf might dive into the nearest body of water regardless of egresses or angry inhabitants, and a most nervous dwarf might run around screaming until an ignominious end in the booze stockpile.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 30, 2012, 01:51:10 pm »

Zoning a pond would work too instead of a water stockpile.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 30, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »

I wonder if I'm only one who considers proper stockpiles/workshops relation graph implementation (w/out these silly restrictions on count or direction of links) even better than whole minecarts stuff?

Nope.  WHEEE! Logistical management!

Man, when Toady starts on something, he REALLY goes whole-hog.

I'm just a little disappointed that it doesn't appear as if stacking will become a part of this update.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 30, 2012, 03:38:09 pm »

Quote from: Dev Page
Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)

Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework

boats

Dwarven Pirates, awaaaaay!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 30, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »

Considering they're dwarven pirates, they would take a break just when the plundering should start and end up failing epically.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 748