Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714690 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1725 on: May 01, 2012, 07:42:42 am »

not really

I can't think of anything that looks more like a cart from above than a hollow rectangle.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: May 01, 2012, 07:46:33 am »

Yeah, but Å looks cart-ish, or at least wheelbarrowish; maybe it makes sense for Toady to use it for wheelbarrows.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:59 am »

wheelbarrow yes, but not minecart.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: May 01, 2012, 08:30:05 am »

Quote from: Toady
It's difficult to get an armed squad into a cart right now.  Nothing will stop them from shooting if you can manage to do it.  They won't jump out of the cart until it is safe.  In general, I haven't set up an interface to ride squads or random citizen groups around in carts.  The haulers can ride them, but it isn't a full passenger service.  That could happen at some point, but there are things to think through.

The workaround that immediately comes to mind (for marksdwarves at least) is to assign them to have their equipment on them at all times, then give them (and only them) the hauling job. I don't remember if you can do this in the military screen, or if you need to also give them a hunting job to make sure they always have ammo on them, but it is possible. For nobles random citizens, you might have to turn off all the hauling jobs of the other dwarves until they accept a hauling job, and then you can vault them to wherever you want them, like the middle of the ocean an underwater paradise.

It looks like an automated marksdwarf driveby defense system will be possible, and not even that difficult. I typically burrow my citizens during siege time anyway, so (if I understand Toady correctly) if there were some defense system minecarts which took off from an unburrowed starting point, and the marksdwarves were unburrowed and assigned only hauling jobs, they would jump in the minecarts, take a ride, see an enemy, fire, and repeat. You could even put them on a looped track and have them fire until they ran out of arrows or enemies.
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Suzuran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:55 am »

If selective dumping of liquids from a minecart into a pool or channel becomes possible, does that mean we can create pools of selected liquids that way?
If so, can my dwarves bathe in the inevitable pool of booze?

Drowning unwanted visitors in pools of blood sounds like fun too.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:14 am »

If selective dumping of liquids from a minecart into a pool or channel becomes possible, does that mean we can create pools of selected liquids that way?
If so, can my dwarves bathe in the inevitable pool of booze?

Drowning unwanted visitors in pools of blood sounds like fun too.

There's only two liquids in DF currently. That's water and magma. The other liquids, are psedoliquids (boozes) or contaminants (blood). They can't be be gathered in meaningful amounts like Water or Magma, nor are they capable of having a flow like Water of Magma.

However, there is an item on the Eternal Suggestion Voting, for more liquids, to make booze, and/or blood and various others goodies behave like water and magma, and to have complex interactions.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: May 01, 2012, 09:23:05 am »

The answer to my question has me ridiculously happy. Model (modded) Trains for the danger-rooms! Or perhaps for the nursery?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:34 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady! Should be interesting when the release comes. :)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: May 01, 2012, 11:36:37 am »

I just someone's idea of pumps being used to empty carts of liquid and for some reason really really like it!  Great idea especially since it makes the whole thing kind of complicated to set up... as it should be.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:16 am »

Quote from: Areyar
- Could track-tiles be made unfavourable for pathing dwarves by default?
Quote from: Jiri Petru
Toady, could you please make tracks to be automatically designated as a low traffic zone? (So we don't have to do it manually).

Yeah, it'll set the traffic setting for you.

regarding traffic zones:
might be something to make roads auto high traffic zones and farm-fields/stockpiles/workshops auto low traffic zones.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 01, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »

The answer to my question has me ridiculously happy. Model (modded) Trains for the danger-rooms! Or perhaps for the nursery?
You mean they aren't the same thing?
Soaplent green is goblins!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1736 on: May 01, 2012, 02:41:01 pm »

Yeah. I wonder if faster carts give more XP, in which case you would need to modulate the speed of the carts to properly train your dodgers. Otherwise I'd just have a grid of tracks and a set of very slow circulating carts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 01, 2012, 02:47:16 pm »

Yeah. I wonder if faster carts give more XP, in which case you would need to modulate the speed of the carts to properly train your dodgers. Otherwise I'd just have a grid of tracks and a set of very slow circulating cartsFULL OF BABIES

ftfy

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 01, 2012, 03:23:01 pm »

I just designed a system in my head to put up to 10 marksdwarves in circulating carts at the same time that travel up z levels before cycling to the beginning of the track to prevent goblin fire aimed at the first pass from hitting dwarves on the second pass.

It includes a junction to allow it to cycle indefinately but still allow turning it off/marksdwarf reloading.  And an optional set of junctions to allow them to pass under a magma fall to allow dwarven automatic reloading 'flaming oil pot' traps.

I think I'm giddy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29:44 pm »

I'm excited to see what the mystery mining makeover is going to entail.  My guess would be multiple stones created per dug tile, and perhaps stacks of objects on the same tile blocking the path, and maybe stones being too heavy for dwarves to haul at a reasonable speed.  Without something like that in place I can't see minecarts and pack animals being used, apart from as a novelty, and that would be a shame since these sound like some very interesting mechanics being implemented. 

I'm also looking forward to farming/food getting similar treatment at some point.  Feeding the entire fort with a 3x3 underground mushroom farm is kinda lame.  Ditto for meat industry.  I guess something simple like having dwarves eat more units of food per meal (since they only eat once every few months :D) would get things feeling a bit more balanced.  Then maybe we would need to trade to get all the things we need, rather than just producing everything on-site.  I remember the farming stuff being discussed for sometime during the caravan arc, but that's slated for some major reordering, so we'll see I guess. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what Toady has planned for mining changes though. 
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 748