Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735764 times)

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2100 on: May 16, 2012, 05:26:07 pm »

Stone, rare? What are you talking about?
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: May 16, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »

Stone, rare? What are you talking about?
Now, the amount of stone is rare enough to make any stone industry unsustainable. Mechanisms are extremely stone-heavy, and last time I checked could not be made of wood.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: May 16, 2012, 07:28:24 pm »

Now, the amount of stone is rare enough to make any stone industry unsustainable. Mechanisms are extremely stone-heavy, and last time I checked could not be made of wood.

I find the notion that you could run out of stone in this game highly suspect.  Especially since we have unlimited stone in the form of magma and water sources that never deplete. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:56 pm »

Dev Log
* made fresh water kill stagnant water, salt no longer spreads into fresh

:o
ALL PRAISE TOADY ONE!
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: May 16, 2012, 10:47:06 pm »

Dev Log
* made fresh water kill stagnant water, salt no longer spreads into fresh

:o
ALL PRAISE TOADY ONE!
Indeedy.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: May 16, 2012, 10:49:55 pm »

I find the notion that you could run out of stone in this game highly suspect.  Especially since we have unlimited stone in the form of magma and water sources that never deplete.
I never claimed running out of stone, I just claimed that it was impractical to set up a crafting industry with it. An obsidian factory is inherently too slow to sustain a crafting industry.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: May 16, 2012, 10:51:10 pm »

That really all depends on your required profits.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: May 16, 2012, 10:58:19 pm »

I never claimed running out of stone, I just claimed that it was impractical to set up a crafting industry with it. An obsidian factory is inherently too slow to sustain a crafting industry.
You're just not scaling it up to dwarf levels.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: May 16, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »

Pave the whole sky with obsidian, and then mine it out! You'll be set for a good long time.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:09 pm »

Alternately, just use blocks for crafts.  I don't think we need anything much smaller than a block, anyway.

Of course, at the same time, I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that the purpose of stone crafts is more to just get rid of stone than it is to make the most out of my stone. 

If we want to make infinite crafts, there's always sand and clay, after all.  I usually embark on one or the other nowadays.

I don't think block can be used for crafts, they're only there for building.  And anyway, making crafts is just a way of cleaning up ston clutter.  Also if there's no sand or clay available for infinite crafts, one can always resort to obsidian farming.

I don't bother with normal stone crafts for a serious profit anyway, there's just there to stick junk games and bones and stuff onto.  The real profit come from crafting stuff from precious metals like silver, gold, and platinum.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2110 on: May 17, 2012, 06:38:32 am »

Well, I did like to make mechanics, crafting, stonemason and gem cutter shops, filling queue with mechanism, stone jug, block and cut stone/encrust on repeat while disabling those shops for legendaries.

Automated no-oversight needed training which will now be a bit harder. Quarrying for stone might be required to sustain it now.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: May 17, 2012, 07:21:59 am »

Why would you even care about your dwarves' stonecrafting skill? I find that quality modifiers are only significant in the expensive stuff. Critical only in arms and armour, where even the best is not good enough.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2112 on: May 17, 2012, 08:37:14 am »

Why would you even care about your dwarves' stonecrafting skill? I find that quality modifiers are only significant in the expensive stuff. Critical only in arms and armour, where even the best is not good enough.

obsidian swords for traps and early milita

(i prefer to play in metal starved maps)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: May 17, 2012, 09:10:36 am »

obsidian swords for traps and early milita

(i prefer to play in metal starved maps)

Speaking of which, are obsidian swords still made of wood, as has been speculated?

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: May 17, 2012, 11:39:26 am »

I'm currently outputting around 500 excess stone per season with three legendary miners. Note that what you're looking at there is an excess, after my mass production of mechanisms, stone crafts, doors, furniture and other crud.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 748