Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715025 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2115 on: May 17, 2012, 01:50:47 pm »

I've seen some talk about this recently, so I'd like to ask directly...

What influenced your decision to attach minecarts to stockpiles? (As opposed to "equipping" them to haulers or dwarves taking up heavy hauling jobs grabbing a nearest cart.)  Do you have plans for further revisions to make more/less involved supply chains using stockpiles, or do you want to just leave things as they are for the foreseeable future? 

Are we going to see a stab at stacking rules added before you go on to other things?

There seems to be a big stumbling block around having to build a large number of specialized stockpiles right away, instead of having giant dump stockpiles, and it may be something that raises the learning cliff a little bit higher to get to learn.  People complain about, for example, seeds not being available because a dwarf collecting a seed from the dining hall brings the barrel that has every seed in the entire fortress inside it to the dining hall. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: May 17, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »

Now, the amount of stone is rare enough to make any stone industry unsustainable. Mechanisms are extremely stone-heavy, and last time I checked could not be made of wood.

I find the notion that you could run out of stone in this game highly suspect.  Especially since we have unlimited stone in the form of magma and water sources that never deplete.
I never claimed running out of stone, I just claimed that it was impractical to set up a crafting industry with it. An obsidian factory is inherently too slow to sustain a crafting industry.

I'm currently outputting around 500 excess stone per season with three legendary miners. Note that what you're looking at there is an excess, after my mass production of mechanisms, stone crafts, doors, furniture and other crud.
This requires quarrying, which ruins a part of the map. After something is dug out, it cannot be undug.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: May 17, 2012, 04:26:58 pm »

I've seen some talk about this recently, so I'd like to ask directly...

What influenced your decision to attach minecarts to stockpiles? (As opposed to "equipping" them to haulers or dwarves taking up heavy hauling jobs grabbing a nearest cart.)  Do you have plans for further revisions to make more/less involved supply chains using stockpiles, or do you want to just leave things as they are for the foreseeable future? 

Are we going to see a stab at stacking rules added before you go on to other things?

There seems to be a big stumbling block around having to build a large number of specialized stockpiles right away, instead of having giant dump stockpiles, and it may be something that raises the learning cliff a little bit higher to get to learn.  People complain about, for example, seeds not being available because a dwarf collecting a seed from the dining hall brings the barrel that has every seed in the entire fortress inside it to the dining hall.

Do you mean wheelbarrows or minecarts? If wheelbarrows, I'd second that. We should at least be able to equip them to workshops.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: May 17, 2012, 05:50:45 pm »

Do you mean wheelbarrows or minecarts? If wheelbarrows, I'd second that. We should at least be able to equip them to workshops.

Wheelbarrows.  Minecarts are attached to their own tracks, obviously.

The way that I (and probably most people) used to set up stockpiles, I would start off by digging some open space in a soil layer, make a "everything but stone" stockpile, and start dumping all my goods from the caravan into it. 

If you do that now, though, only one dwarf can claim a wheelbarrow to do a hauling job at a time, and they'll take a wheelbarrow to carry things that are light enough you don't need a wheelbarrow for them. 

When we were getting wheelbarrows, I was expecting wheelbarrows to just be left lying around most of the time, and only grabbed when a job that was heavy enough to require a wheelbarrow was needed. 

What this does, however, is make players have to spend more time initially setting the stockpiles up, since they need a complicated manually crafted supply chain, but once it's running, it will generally work well, if you micromanaged it down to proper functionality. 

It does, however, make starting the game up a little more annoying, so I'm wondering how much of this is still just a work-in-progress...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:22 pm »

Why would you even care about your dwarves' stonecrafting skill? I find that quality modifiers are only significant in the expensive stuff. Critical only in arms and armour, where even the best is not good enough.

obsidian swords for traps and early milita

(i prefer to play in metal starved maps)

Speaking of which, are obsidian swords still made of wood, as has been speculated?
Never were. It was a display issue. (Tested this quite a bit myself. A "pine short sword" made from obsidian was far deadlier than a "(pine short sword sword)". It's simply useless against metal armour instead of being on par with steel like it was in 40d/
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:08 pm »

Speaking of which, are obsidian swords still made of wood, as has been speculated?
Never were. It was a display issue. (Tested this quite a bit myself. A "pine short sword" made from obsidian was far deadlier than a "(pine short sword sword)". It's simply useless against metal armour instead of being on par with steel like it was in 40d/

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5346

Obsidian actually isn't sharp enough to cut skin in DF, whereas wood can cut skin.
There is an easy RAW file fix.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: May 17, 2012, 08:30:04 pm »

If so, that must be a newer problem. I've seen them slice elephants in half in the 31.xx series.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2122 on: May 17, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »

Actually, you're completely wrong - back in version 0.31.12, a "pine short sword" made at a craftsdwarf's workshop was identical to a "pine short sword" made at a smelter using a custom reaction. You may have thought they were different, but you were simply observing random variance.

All items in Dwarf Fortrress (aside from corpses, body parts, and other things such as fish and vermin) are made of a single material, and that material is used to determine both its appearance and its combat properties.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: May 18, 2012, 09:25:59 pm »

Any ideas for using Creature Classes for entity's default domestic creatures? Creature Classes could be such a powerful thing if applied more.

Say, you give Beak Dogs, Grimelings, etc, the [CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL_PET] or [CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL_WAR] and put something like [ALLOWED_PET_CLASS:EVIL_PET] on the goblin's entity so they'd use that in their sieges. This could allow more customization than the standard evil/good/underground classification. A wierd gnome civ could even have robots with the creature class [CREATURE_CLASS:ROBOT_GNOME] so that they would acquire them automatically, while other entities cannot access them.

Maybe even 'plant classes', too. You could assign specific plants to entities. Dwarves would use their normal line-up. Goblins would use other subterranean plants like 'bloodworts' or 'killer caps' or something, all with the [PLANT_CLASS:GOBLIN] and associated [ALLOWED_PLANT_CLASS:GOBLIN] with the goblin's entity.
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: May 19, 2012, 07:34:25 am »

Any ideas for using Creature Classes for entity's default domestic creatures? Creature Classes could be such a powerful thing if applied more.

Say, you give Beak Dogs, Grimelings, etc, the [CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL_PET] or [CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL_WAR] and put something like [ALLOWED_PET_CLASS:EVIL_PET] on the goblin's entity so they'd use that in their sieges. This could allow more customization than the standard evil/good/underground classification. A wierd gnome civ could even have robots with the creature class [CREATURE_CLASS:ROBOT_GNOME] so that they would acquire them automatically, while other entities cannot access them.

Maybe even 'plant classes', too. You could assign specific plants to entities. Dwarves would use their normal line-up. Goblins would use other subterranean plants like 'bloodworts' or 'killer caps' or something, all with the [PLANT_CLASS:GOBLIN] and associated [ALLOWED_PLANT_CLASS:GOBLIN] with the goblin's entity.

I would like to second ALL of that.  Put it up as a suggestion, it's a good one and pretty far reaching in it's scope for how simple it's principle really is.  In general the Raw format here could stand a lot more stuff like this, using already existing mechanics in new ways.  It would make having multiple races with various feels for their trade goods much easier.

Give Elves [ALLOWED_PET_CLASS:ELF_PETS], and set up the elf pets quickly and efficiently, giving them fairies, pixies, wolves, and fluffy wamblers.  You could do the same with Goblins and make it so they only ever have pets like Trolls and Ogres, never Sheep or Peafowl.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:36:40 am by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: May 19, 2012, 08:13:35 am »

I can say *cough* that the idea of using creature classes for domestic creatures and the like has come up in the suggestions forum at least twice. It is certainly something I'd like to see.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 19, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »

Great new release! With 0.34.08 I built a test track with the dwarf pushing the cart. On the current version, I tried a few systems where the dwarf rode the cart.

I noticed the stagnant water bug doesn't happen when the brook or stream or river is in a mountain biome, because of the lack of murky pools. I generally try to have a brook because it serves as a source of fish.

Will there be a second major hauling release in short order before the next major release that isn't just a bugfix release? That is, one where we may get increased functionality of wheelbarrows or animal hauling or extra vehicles?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 19, 2012, 02:31:54 pm »

I would like to second ALL of that.  Put it up as a suggestion, it's a good one and pretty far reaching in it's scope for how simple it's principle really is.  In general the Raw format here could stand a lot more stuff like this, using already existing mechanics in new ways.  It would make having multiple races with various feels for their trade goods much easier.

Give Elves [ALLOWED_PET_CLASS:ELF_PETS], and set up the elf pets quickly and efficiently, giving them fairies, pixies, wolves, and fluffy wamblers.  You could do the same with Goblins and make it so they only ever have pets like Trolls and Ogres, never Sheep or Peafowl.
That is a good idea. I like any idea that gives different civ creatures more flavor without going extreme.

That also kind of fits my idea of creating creature groups to allow training of similar animals to be easier. I used the example of grizzly bear and black bear, learning to train one should help experience-wise in training the other. Creature classes could probably act as a system for doing that, if you can apply more than one class to a creature and if you could designate a class to be used or not for training as not all creature classes would be suitable for that.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 19, 2012, 02:47:09 pm »

That also kind of fits my idea of creating creature groups to allow training of similar animals to be easier. I used the example of grizzly bear and black bear, learning to train one should help experience-wise in training the other. Creature classes could probably act as a system for doing that, if you can apply more than one class to a creature and if you could designate a class to be used or not for training as not all creature classes would be suitable for that.

We have suggestion threads for that idea already...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 19, 2012, 07:16:52 pm »

isnt stuff like that going into the game later on anyway, even if nobody here ever talks about it? i also think thats the case for like 95% of the esv
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 748