Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3729030 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2565 on: July 03, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »

Apart from Manveru's post, there are also the issues that a) this would mean introducing one way to spread evil biomes when a dedicated development could include that and other ways to spread them, and b) it has no direct relation to the current development of site claims, and so it would be an unneeded sidetrack.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:45 pm »

Toady, you said you were "replacing [the current site ownership system] with a system of claims of varying purpose and effectiveness" ; what do you mean by "effectiveness" ?
Also, how much ground will be covered by what's planned for next time ? Religious claims, business claims, battles over the line of succession ?
Who will be entitled with a right to consult these claims ? You already mentioned important historical people, but do you plan on establishing some sort of statistical representation of the overall population's state of mind, as that would be needed for things such as revolutions ?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: July 03, 2012, 05:58:26 pm »

In my mind, the effectiveness of a claim would fall solely on the entity's ability to enforce the claim either by force or treaty. Probably more by force. Some claims wouldn't be mutually exclusive either, I think, but there will likely be many that are highly mutually exclusive. High mutual exclusivity is the birther of conflict, and conflict is the birther of story.

I'm so very excited about this release, you have no idea.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:38 am »

I'm excited about DF growth in general, especially in the adventure mode department. Nethack, dungeon crawl etc. all set up a backstory for why you are trawling through a dungeon with a snowballs chance in hell to make it.. Dwarf fortress might one day be so complex and deep you're actually deciding for yourself that you want to crawl down an incredibly vast evil dungeon full of procedurally generated monsters and men, with randomized magic in play and god knows what else.

Can't wait! :D

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: July 04, 2012, 08:28:14 pm »

Why did you change the reclaim mechanic?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:50:04 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: July 04, 2012, 11:25:44 pm »

What are you referring to?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: July 05, 2012, 12:49:09 am »

What are you referring to?
When you reclaim sites, you used to get a proportional number of dorfs and equipment to your old forts wealth. Now when you reclaim, you get 7 dorfs. I dont know when these changes happen, but I know it happens in 40d.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: July 05, 2012, 02:42:10 am »

It was changed before 31.25, I know.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: July 05, 2012, 02:58:50 am »

It was changed before 31.25, I know.
And I cant find it mention on the change log or the dev log. I find it pretty curious that Toady would make a change to the game without acknowledging it somewhere.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: July 05, 2012, 06:41:55 am »

Seen here.

I also ended up making reclaim civilian, at least for now, since there were too many issues with starting out a bunch of pre-made squads. This also messed up soldier migrants, but I've compensated for that by giving migrants higher and more varied skills in general, including the skills of a former soldier at times.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: July 05, 2012, 08:50:19 am »

Oh, thank you Knight.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: July 05, 2012, 11:16:25 am »

Will it be possible for your fortress to become a goblin slave camp while you play?
With sites soon changing hands during play, and combatants able to give up and submit to their opponent, then we basically have the chance for your militia to give up crying and the goblins to instal themselves as the owner of your site.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2577 on: July 05, 2012, 01:42:26 pm »

Will it be possible for your fortress to become a goblin slave camp while you play?
With sites soon changing hands during play, and combatants able to give up and submit to their opponent, then we basically have the chance for your militia to give up crying and the goblins to instal themselves as the owner of your site.

That would be so awesome!

I can imagine gameplay: You stop recieving elf/human/dwarf caravans and instead start recieving goblin caravans. You will get quotas to fill for export of weapons/armor/food/luxuries. If you do not meet quotas, random dwarves will be executed.

You military will be turned off (or rather, goblin happening on dwarf wielding weapon will raise alarm, kill offender and then the random executions/jailings will happen). Every so often, you will get migrant wave - goblin military reinforcements along with few new slaves.

Of course, accidents with goblin fatalisites will be met with retribution.

Dwarves will siege your outpost and if they happen to win, you will get reinstated.

Whole game would become about sabotaging goblin military and forming "la resistance" to strike from inside in apropriate moment.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: July 05, 2012, 01:57:24 pm »

Hmm. That does sound interesting.

But if sites could have multiple entities controlling them, I'd guess the first issue we run into is kobolds/criminals/animal people turning up and trying to live in your fort, making themselves a general nuissance.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: July 05, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »

I, personally, wouldn't mind having animal people live in my fort. That is, just as long as they can hold a sword (or axe or hammer or mace or spear or whip or pike or maul or morningstar or scourge or crossbow...) and perform other tasks.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 748