Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715122 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2970 on: August 15, 2012, 12:10:08 am »

Maybe this already has been posted, or at least there was a pretty similar question regarding night creatures, but,
Could it be possible for goblins and HFS consequences to roam freely around the countryside after toppling a player fortress, and then subsequently slaughter and conquer neighboring sites, claiming them as their own? Or is this behavior only expected (to a limited extent) from bandits and wildlife usually generated in adventure mode?

I envision it as a chain of events that affect the world in a larger and more inmediate scale, so that our own faults leading to the demise of a fortress also reach other places, changing the political (or at least the demographical) landscape. I also wonder that if we're able to track those forces of evil, then we could have a chance of exacting revenge upon them, or at least die trying, without those critters just dissapearing in a few months.
So your question is will these movements after world gen only apply to Adventure Mode?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: August 15, 2012, 02:30:11 am »

Cool! New interactions.

Do creatures with these new interactions use them for tracking?

Could a blind creature use this "sense blood"  smell sense to hunt, therefore making the "Extravision" tag redundant?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: August 15, 2012, 02:55:40 am »

Maybe this already has been posted, or at least there was a pretty similar question regarding night creatures, but,
Could it be possible for goblins and HFS consequences to roam freely around the countryside after toppling a player fortress, and then subsequently slaughter and conquer neighboring sites, claiming them as their own? Or is this behavior only expected (to a limited extent) from bandits and wildlife usually generated in adventure mode?

I envision it as a chain of events that affect the world in a larger and more inmediate scale, so that our own faults leading to the demise of a fortress also reach other places, changing the political (or at least the demographical) landscape. I also wonder that if we're able to track those forces of evil, then we could have a chance of exacting revenge upon them, or at least die trying, without those critters just dissapearing in a few months.
So your question is will these movements after world gen only apply to Adventure Mode?
Looks like it, but his question seems to center more on whether groups or creatures released through your fortress will transfer over to adventure mode. Like those draltha herds that bumrush right through your entire fortress to get themselves outside...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: August 15, 2012, 03:10:48 am »

Looks like it, but his question seems to center more on whether groups or creatures released through your fortress will transfer over to adventure mode. Like those draltha herds that bumrush right through your entire fortress to get themselves outside...
Well, alright. And the answer, is yes. Your Dwarf Fortress is meant to eventually be a potentially real force for change in the world.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: August 15, 2012, 05:04:06 am »

That's purely cool.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: August 15, 2012, 06:01:00 am »

So now groups can track you down and attack you, which is great. But do groups specifically attack the player or other groups as well ? Will merchant caravans be bothered by night creatures, wolf packs and bandit raids in the next release ?
Also, you spoke of real ambushes but are they now real ambushes, i.e. bandits not really into tracking people but setting camp around a portion of a much used road to demand a toll or just attack everyone going through, effectively claiming a portion of that road as an aggressive force ?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: August 15, 2012, 06:31:58 am »

So now groups can track you down and attack you, which is great. But do groups specifically attack the player or other groups as well ? Will merchant caravans be bothered by night creatures, wolf packs and bandit raids in the next release ?
Yea, the world is meant to be moving around you, independently and respecting your actions. So if you do something that merits you being, tracked, then you'll be tracked. There several items on the dev expunging on players being tracked down and captured all that jazz. And everyone else is doing their own things interacting with each other. So caravan should be able to be attacked by night creatures.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: August 15, 2012, 07:21:26 am »

When will Ecologys become more fleshed out, particularly with certain life dominating an area? Let's take the example of Ungoliants children in the hobbit. They dominated that forest, and were a major threat, but you don't see such equivalents of dominant animals in dwarf fortress. Aside from that, the effects of foreign and magical species into an ecosystem, the resulting famine, plenty, or death and trapped abandonment upon nearby civilizations, even development of certain animals into intelligent species with the right magical stimuli. More individual animals would also be great, with runts of the litter and outcasts as well as pack hierarchy, something which should definitely be in when you can tame creatures in adventure mode.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: August 15, 2012, 07:31:07 am »

Now that tracking is in, as well as a smell sense, I think we aren't far of  a simulated ecology, with herders (not owned by the player) grazing, predators hunting, scavengers looking for carrion, and so on.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: August 15, 2012, 07:40:13 am »

Yea, the world is meant to be moving around you, independently and respecting your actions. So if you do something that merits you being, tracked, then you'll be tracked. There several items on the dev expunging on players being tracked down and captured all that jazz. And everyone else is doing their own things interacting with each other. So caravan should be able to be attacked by night creatures.

Yes, I know you are being tracked. It was clearly stated in the dev log. My question is, has some attention been given SPECIFICALLY to ambushes happening to other moving groups than yours ? And specifically now, as opposed to "at some point in the future" ?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: August 15, 2012, 12:11:10 pm »

Sensing arbitrary creature classes? Fuck yeah toady!

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: August 15, 2012, 01:00:03 pm »

now that critters are moving around , could it be like if two civilizations are in war , you can track the civilization armies and fight them before they reach the other civilization ?
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: August 15, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »

now that critters are moving around , could it be like if two civilizations are in war , you can track the civilization armies and fight them before they reach the other civilization ?

That's the plan yeah, but Toady has said nothing so far about implementing warfare while you play. For the moment it's the simple, basic stuff (monsters, bandits, goblin attacks...) Wait, goblin attack probably fall in what you're referring to. I guess you COULD hear about a goblin raid from a survivor, get there after they've left and track them before they reach another village.

Are goblin camps in raided sites dismantled after a while ? If yes, how long ? If no, do all goblins stay there or do they leave an occupation force ?
Do goblins take child prisonners from raids (I have a feeling I already asked this one) ?
What is the criteria for goblins to attack a site ? Do they have to be at war with it (since they're conveniently at war with everone) ? Or is declaring war after world-gen already in ?

Sensing arbitrary creature classes? Fuck yeah toady!

I'm also surprised no modder has already jumped in with lots of questions. I'll ask mine :
What is the syntax for that creature-class sense in the raws ? Are the symbol and color used modifiable ? Is that symbol displayed even when you fully see the unit ? Is it toggleable ?

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: August 15, 2012, 07:21:36 pm »

There several items on the dev expunging on players being tracked down and captured all that jazz.

I think you mean "expurgating."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: August 16, 2012, 04:28:28 am »

There several items on the dev expunging on players being tracked down and captured all that jazz.

I think you mean "expurgating."

He's allowed to type creatively, because he captured all the jazz.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 748