Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714680 times)

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2985 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:15 am »

The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: August 16, 2012, 11:54:54 am »

The wait is killing me. The entire forum holds its breath as Toady One is slowly building the Wall of Text.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: August 16, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »

There several items on the dev expunging on players being tracked down and captured all that jazz.

I think you mean "expurgating."

He could have also meant "expounding", a word I prefer to 'expurgating' because it sounds a little less like something an axe wound does.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: August 16, 2012, 01:16:01 pm »

The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
I'm gonna sig this little piece of magic :')

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:05 pm »

it is lovely, no?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: August 16, 2012, 04:07:19 pm »

With the simulation aspects of the game, like economy, trade, warfare etc currently being fleshed out, are there any plans on simulating ecological systems?

Say you have a certain density of cave moss in an area, some dralthas and some GCS's. Ecologic simulation basically refers to Draltha population rising and cave moss density declining, slowly leading to a Malthusian catastrophy (or at least a slow decline in Draltha population), while GCS's and Dralthas have a similar relationship. Would probably need information on food chains, lifespans and reproduction rates.

Hmmmm... Let's see if NW_Kohaku has made a suggestion on this :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:00:30 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:56 pm »

With the tracking in will it be possible for in-game caravans to be tracked by bandits? If so, does that mean we might get a caravan in fortress mode followed by a wave of bandits?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: August 16, 2012, 08:56:45 pm »

With the tracking in will it be possible for in-game caravans to be tracked by bandits? If so, does that mean we might get a caravan in fortress mode followed by a wave of bandits?
If the entity/critter world map abstraction that is going to rule their movement is also applied to caravans, then I'm unable to see why this chance of getting unsuspected bandits could not happen. However, if human bandit entities are considered neutral (or currently without an actual relationship) then they should have some sort of flag that allows them to pursuit caravans.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: August 17, 2012, 08:07:18 am »

I could also see the caravan guards skirmishing with the bandits enroute.  That's what the caravan guards are there for, by design.  It's assumed (however erroneously) that your trade depot is supposed to be safe and secure.

Depending on how well this works, the number of caravan guards may wind up being tweaked.  More guards needed based on savagery of a given region, leading to price inflation?

Also, depending upon the tenacity of the bandit gangs, the skirmishes may just be a hit and run, or the stragglers may follow all the way to your Fort.

This could also introduce a demand for medical care by the caravan personell upon arrival to your Fort (an interesting idea).  Say Human Caravan Guard Tivish has a broken ankle after bravely fending off a raiding party while en route.  He may have to spend the season that the traders are on site in your hospital seeking treatment before departing with the caravan (or afterwards, depending upon severity).  This opens up a can 'o worms as far as multiple factions interacting within your Fort in more than just benign or hostile ways.

Deep, man, deep.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: August 17, 2012, 08:16:27 am »

This could also introduce a demand for medical care by the caravan personell upon arrival to your Fort (an interesting idea).

I, too, look forward to the day when I can implement death panels.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: August 17, 2012, 08:22:28 am »

Which would probably still be more kind than the sort of arbitrary amputations I'd be expecting Dwarf Doctors to administer to battlefield injuries.

BTW, is amputation possible currently?  (As a medical procedure, not the usual sort of workplace shenanigans.)  I mean if that Smashed Open finger is badly infected with gangrene, will they just take the blardy thing off?

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: August 17, 2012, 09:57:33 am »

I don't think they amputate, no. At least, I've never seen it happen, despite a lot of infected, smashed and broken limbs.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: August 17, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »

if i recall correctly, it would cause some issues toady didn't want to tackle yet, like having surgeondorfs amputating infected stomaches and heads

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: August 17, 2012, 03:10:28 pm »

if i recall correctly, it would cause some issues toady didn't want to tackle yet, like having surgeondorfs amputating infected stomaches and heads
Simultaneausly, It would also open up the possibility of dwarves made entirely of prosthetics.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: August 17, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »

3000th reply!

Okay, that was dumb.

I'd like to see ceramic replacement organs, though. "Make clay Replacement stomach"?
My wooden badge was delicious.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 748