Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732550 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4110 on: October 29, 2012, 02:29:41 am »

When you mention orchards using the products from the old tree raws, do you mean no further trees have been added in or are the raw structures the same?
From the context, Toady simply hasn't added new trees yet that produce "fruit" beyond palms, mango trees, and chestnuts. I'm pretty sure he already mentioned that the tree raws have changed, and they pretty much have to be to accommodate growth parameters, fruit, leaves, etc.
Yeah, he already said all the growth/vegatation modifiers for trees will be moddable from the time it's released, so I think it's fair to say that he just hasn't added any new ones, but I'm sure he'll get around to it, either this release or a later one.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: October 29, 2012, 03:42:39 am »

When you mention orchards using the products from the old tree raws, do you mean no further trees have been added in or are the raw structures the same?
From the context, Toady simply hasn't added new trees yet that produce "fruit" beyond palms, mango trees, and chestnuts. I'm pretty sure he already mentioned that the tree raws have changed, and they pretty much have to be to accommodate growth parameters, fruit, leaves, etc.
Yeah, he already said all the growth/vegatation modifiers for trees will be moddable from the time it's released, so I think it's fair to say that he just hasn't added any new ones, but I'm sure he'll get around to it, either this release or a later one.
If it's not in this release, it probably won't happen for many years.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: October 29, 2012, 10:42:34 am »

still counts as later, but yeah....
The Derail Thread

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: October 29, 2012, 12:23:15 pm »

But like the above said, it is already in the raws... So even if Toady doesn't do them right away modders can make trees grow new stuff.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: October 29, 2012, 12:25:57 pm »

But like the above said, it is already in the raws... So even if Toady doesn't do them right away modders can make trees grow new stuff.
Yeah, Toady even said you can have them grow swords if you want
The Derail Thread

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: October 29, 2012, 03:46:25 pm »

Yeah, Toady even said you can have them grow swords if you want

So that's where the elves get those wooden swords! It would be fantastic if the elves actually grew all the wooden crap they try to sell you in special orchards. "Yes, this is my prized bracelet tree, and over there is a grove of sword trees that are just ripe enough to pick." It would answer the age old question of elf-kosher.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: October 29, 2012, 03:50:12 pm »

It would be fantastic if the elves actually grew all the wooden crap they try to sell you in special orchards.

I really like that idea. It would also make stealth/theft "missions" in Elven orchards very interesting and unique.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: October 30, 2012, 05:12:03 am »

Regarding Elves and their affection for trees; have you read Orson Scott Card's sequel to Ender's Game called "The Speaker For the Dead"?  It has a very interesting take on a kind of "tree husbandry".  The "Piggies", as they're called, use dance and song to ask the trees to produce the objects they need (the trees are grown from the bodies of their slain ancestors, and they're sentient).  I'm basically wondering how you're planning on Elves having wooden homes and wooden tools and other wooden stuff, but not carving it or hacking it out of the trees.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:14:44 am by Greendogo »
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: October 30, 2012, 06:18:55 am »

Regarding Elves and their affection for trees; have you read Orson Scott Card's sequel to Ender's Game called "The Speaker For the Dead"?  It has a very interesting take on a kind of "tree husbandry".  The "Piggies", as they're called, use dance and song to ask the trees to produce the objects they need (the trees are grown from the bodies of their slain ancestors, and they're sentient).  I'm basically wondering how you're planning on Elves having wooden homes and wooden tools and other wooden stuff, but not carving it or hacking it out of the trees.

I was very disappointed with that book.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: October 30, 2012, 09:18:38 am »

Orson Scott Card in general has been a very disappointing and batshit insane writer for the past decade.

On topic, did told say anything about seriously considering elves growing their equipment and stuff from special trees or is that just player speculation? Cause that sounds rather awesome and would give elves some interesting racial flavor.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: October 30, 2012, 09:22:00 am »

its just speculation. it WAS a example of toady's. i think.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

hoveringdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:02 am »

Are there any near-future plans to integrate tree products into existing fortress industries (e.g. pressing juices from mangoes, oil from coconuts or kapok, tapping maples for syrup, and then having those products for relevant brewing, cooking, or soap-making tasks)? Also, will any of the fictional trees (e.g. goblin cap, etc.) be given harvestable products?

I'm excited about the inevitable feature creep. I doubt a chocolate industry will ever happen, but I can still dream of legendary chocolate rabbits.

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: October 30, 2012, 09:55:39 am »

I think growing stuff from trees was in one of Threetoe's stories, or at least implied there.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: October 30, 2012, 10:24:25 am »

i wonder if horseshoe crab blood will be fixed. afterall, its BLUE, not WHITE. but that IS a minor thing...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: October 30, 2012, 04:36:52 pm »

Wait... shouldn't that just be a RAWS fix?
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 748