Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714564 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4125 on: October 30, 2012, 06:24:53 pm »

a) This doesn't really belong in this thread.
b) If Wikipedia can be trusted, horseshoe crab blood really is blue.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: October 30, 2012, 09:12:15 pm »

it WAS a example of toady's. i think.

To quote Toady One on 09/28/2012

Moving on to defining various things that grow from the plants -- flowers, fruit, and leaves, mainly, but the raws should be fairly generic here. There are just "growths" from the plants, with various timing, development and item type variables, and if you're modding you should be able to call them whatever you like or have a tree that grows bronze swords or whatever. We should have apples or some kind of edible fruit soon... we have choices for fruit trees to add now I suppose.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: October 31, 2012, 12:02:47 am »

i wonder if horseshoe crab blood will be fixed. afterall, its BLUE, not WHITE. but that IS a minor thing...
That sounds like a good one to put on the bugtracker with the "Probable Quick Fix" tag.
... If Toady's still looking at the bugtracker anymore.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: October 31, 2012, 01:42:51 am »

i wonder if horseshoe crab blood will be fixed. afterall, its BLUE, not WHITE. but that IS a minor thing...
That sounds like a good one to put on the bugtracker with the "Probable Quick Fix" tag.

He may look at it ocasionally to look into bugs he may fix while developing the new features of the next version, but apart from that, the next release is not a bugfix release and Toady don't need to check it on a daily basis. This doesn't mean we shouldn't be reporting new bugs, though.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: October 31, 2012, 11:07:25 am »

Toady does of course still look at the bug tracker. He simply is on a feature release right now rather than a series of bugfixing releases as he usually is after a feature release.

Also, the horseshoe crab blood bug has been reported already, so there's no need to report it again.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: November 01, 2012, 11:09:59 am »

:D Just read the monthly report! YES!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: November 01, 2012, 11:12:39 am »

Really excited for reclaiming NPC forts.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: November 01, 2012, 12:44:30 pm »

I rather enjoyed the idea of forts being able to persist after you leave, myself.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: November 01, 2012, 01:08:24 pm »

I wanted this since I got my first successful fortress.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: November 01, 2012, 01:13:31 pm »

I rather enjoyed the idea of forts being able to persist after you leave, myself.

You know, there's going to be a whole breed of people building fortresses with the express purpose of making the computer eff them up in a bad way.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: November 01, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »

Wow, I really didn't think we were going to be able to retire forts and have them continue this release. Reclaiming NPC forts should be pretty cool too!

Will NPC forts fall prey to HFS? Trying to reclaim a fort you didn't design (and thus don't know where the important things are) from HFS, Moria-style, would be pretty amazing.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: November 01, 2012, 01:43:46 pm »

How will the game handle preventing fort retirement exploits?  Essentially, if a fort is full of goblins or a syndrome sweeping the populace, what will stop a player from retiring the fort and preserving it as an NPC fort?  Will there be some means of ensuring that forts with !!Fun!! stay !!Fun!!?

I can see retiring forts as an easy out to preventing fort death and possibly even saving doomed dwarves for immigration to later forts.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4137 on: November 01, 2012, 02:21:59 pm »

That would be easy enough to figure out afterwards by having a history-mode fight if there's still combattive units when it's unloaded... though that won't be aware of problems like having all your military surrounded by lava at the moment. It'd be no worse than the rest of history, though.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: November 01, 2012, 02:25:17 pm »

How will the game handle preventing fort retirement exploits?  Essentially, if a fort is full of goblins or a syndrome sweeping the populace, what will stop a player from retiring the fort and preserving it as an NPC fort?  Will there be some means of ensuring that forts with !!Fun!! stay !!Fun!!?

I can see retiring forts as an easy out to preventing fort death and possibly even saving doomed dwarves for immigration to later forts.

My guess would be you can't retire a fort in the middle of a megabeast, force of darkness and/or the dead walk event for starters. As for how much beyond that it'll go is hard to say.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #4139 on: November 01, 2012, 02:38:04 pm »

There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 748