Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3730880 times)

Vsor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4290 on: November 13, 2012, 07:26:30 am »

With the world in its more living state, the problem comes up where the life of most adventurers can be measured in days. When can we expect a mechanic that makes time pass faster? ie. staying in an inn or recovering in a place of healing.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: November 13, 2012, 08:27:39 am »

Or for that matter, being held in bars for one's crimes...
"Poor fool, you accused me of being a night creature!
First thing : you are wrong 'cause I'm actually a demon, second I sentence you to three hundred years in jail!
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4292 on: November 13, 2012, 09:48:10 am »

an adventurer being held in a bar? Could be worse, as far as demonic punishments go.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #4293 on: November 13, 2012, 11:22:14 am »

an adventurer being held in a bar? Could be worse, as far as demonic punishments go.

He forgot to mention that it's a Milk Bar.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Vsor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:28 am »

Korova Milk Bar?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: November 13, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »

According to the latest devlog on 11/12/2012, hill dwarves now have outdoor gardens. Are dwarves going to have aboveground plants by default now, and will traders bring outdoor plants?

Also, with the addition of hillocks, are dwarves actually going to be moving earth around in the next release and if will this facility be included in fortress mode for players?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:19:06 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

dancing kobold

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: November 13, 2012, 01:16:10 pm »

for the next release. how smart do you want the AI that control retired player fortresses be? will it actually simulate the fortress similar to the way players do it or will it "cheat" a bit? if it cheats. will it then take into consideration what stuff you have at the site for how much chance it have to survive?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: November 13, 2012, 01:32:59 pm »

for the next release. how smart do you want the AI that control retired player fortresses be? will it actually simulate the fortress similar to the way players do it or will it "cheat" a bit? if it cheats. will it then take into consideration what stuff you have at the site for how much chance it have to survive?

Personally, I'd really appreciate it if the AI that controls the retired fortresses doesn't screw them up too much. I'm OK with the AI planning out a new set of rooms when the fortress population starts reaching the thousand or thousands of dwarves that we end up having in these sites (its true, worldgen sites have way higher populations than player fortresses; site limit is typically 1200 citizens or so defined in worldgen). However, the AI shouldn't do things like build corridors through magma pumpstacks or water cisterns, and should leave tombs and zoos alone unless it deliberately wants to expand them.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: November 13, 2012, 01:59:35 pm »

Will hill dwarf sites and deep sites be subject to invasions or MB/FB rampages during gameplay? Will you need to and be able to defend them?

Will you eventually be able to control these sites in the same way you control your fort?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: November 13, 2012, 02:04:53 pm »

With the world in its more living state, the problem comes up where the life of most adventurers can be measured in days. When can we expect a mechanic that makes time pass faster? ie. staying in an inn or recovering in a place of healing.
Yep. THere been a fair amount of talk in DF Talks about a mechanic to allow time to pass faster. As always, no time line.

will traders bring outdoor plants?
Human and Elf Traders already bring outdoor plants. If you were speaking about Dorf Traders in particular, then they'll trade whatever their Dorf Civilation makes. If that includes outdoor plantys, then they'll bring outdoor plants. From my understanding, what traders can bring doesnt have any artificial limitation like that.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: November 13, 2012, 04:43:31 pm »

Korova Milk Bar?

Moloko Plus?!  I could see Dorfs getting into that.

Also, over 100 questions on this FotF?  You're welcome, Toady.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: November 13, 2012, 05:13:24 pm »

Slaves to Armok III: Harvest Moon

For some reason that sounds very sinister...

Though, I like the Harvest Moon series... so I would probably enjoy it if DF ever got around to the point where we could just play a small town farmer... the only thing is though I doubt scarecrows will keep the Bronze Colossus out of my garden.

Yeah, that sounds nice. Living the simple life of a prickle berry farmer. Going to town to sell your crops at the market. Buying seeds. Planting and harvesting. Saving enough money to buy some armor and a dagger. Sneaking around the farm in your spare time to increase your ambush skill. Heading to a rival's homestead and eliminating him along with any witnesses. Buying his farm. Hiring workers for the farm. Selling your crops at the market for more money. Bribing public officials to arrest another farmer for a crime he didn't commit. Obtaining his farm. Selling your crops to merchants who sell them in other towns. Using money to pay assassins to kill any remaining rival farmers in the nearby area. Obtaining their farms. Buying land to create more farms. Continuing this cycle of planting, harvesting, assassinations, bribery and buying land until you have wealth that kings can only dream about obtaining. Using assassins to create succession struggle. Bribing generals to fight for me. Becoming king...

Will assassins become part of the game? Bribery? Slavery?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: November 13, 2012, 05:21:08 pm »

Will assassins become part of the game? Bribery? Slavery?

Short answer:  Yes, eventually.

Also, some aspects of Succession will be touched on in this release, although final details will be forthcming.  So, actions that could be seen as assassinations to lead to succession issues may happen, sort of, with or without player input.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: November 13, 2012, 06:16:02 pm »

You mentioned in your last DFTalk that hill dwarf settlements would lead to a revamp of how migrant waves work. Now that they're finally going in seven months later, do you have any more elaborated ideas for what that will look like?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: November 13, 2012, 06:17:50 pm »

Who else is absolutey stoked (For extreme lack of a better term) at these changes? I mean damn! This is awesome!

Since theres now a whole window for nobility and holdings, is it going to remain limited to showing dwarven sites, or will it eventually include the loose allances of the human lords, or what now appear to be goblin and elven sprawl?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:25:35 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 748