Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715073 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4650 on: December 17, 2012, 03:54:52 am »

That seems to be the case in my experience. I once made a long, thin fort to test this sort of thing, and in adventure mode the windmills at one end were happily powering things hundreds of tiles away.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: December 17, 2012, 04:02:11 am »

I tested this in stonesense, and this is indeed true. the whole fort is loaded, every time you visit in adventure mode. Otherwise, it's just a 3x3 tile area.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: December 17, 2012, 06:47:22 am »

Will df gamedesign will have any larger scale mechanics? e.g throwing (some) ores into lava flow will smelt them and then collecting resulting liquid metal. Or any other mechanic that would encourage (or require) building bigger functional structures?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:57 am »

Will df gamedesign will have any larger scale mechanics? e.g throwing (some) ores into lava flow will smelt them and then collecting resulting liquid metal. Or any other mechanic that would encourage (or require) building bigger functional structures?
It's called smelting and not melting for a reason: To produce metal from ore[1], you need a reducing agent such as charcoal; there is no reducing agent in magma.
What do yyou mean by bigger functional structures?

[1] Strictly speaking this is not true for a few ores such as sulfide ores that need to be oxidised; however that process as well is more complicated than just throwing them someplace hot.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: December 17, 2012, 08:41:47 am »

It's called smelting and not melting for a reason: To produce metal from ore[1], you need a reducing agent such as charcoal; there is no reducing agent in magma.

[1] Strictly speaking this is not true for a few ores such as sulfide ores that need to be oxidised; however that process as well is more complicated than just throwing them someplace hot.
So why do we have magma smelter?

Edit: and question is not about smelting.It is about a game mechanic(s) smelting was just an example (not very good, but it's still more interesting to build 5x10x10 structure to do something than 3x3 building)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:43:19 am by Warmist »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: December 17, 2012, 09:18:06 am »

Edit: and question is not about smelting.It is about a game mechanic(s) smelting was just an example (not very good, but it's still more interesting to build 5x10x10 structure to do something than 3x3 building)

The magma smelter just uses the heat from the magma, they don't actually melt the ore in it.

As for the other part, there's nothing stopping you from carving a huge magma cistern with a forge suspended out in the middle of it with small passageways etc or whatever other large structure you can imagine. The 3x3 workshop is just the minimum requirement of the actual workspace (and all you really need tbh), and if you feel the work space should be larger just add a few extra workshops in there.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: December 17, 2012, 09:56:03 am »

Yes, this has been already answered a few pages back (but not with the same question). I understand that current workshops are just placeholders for the next thing, in which we could be able to work with materials and reactions in a more, ermm, realistic way. Workplaces, I think they were called.

I might be wrong.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: December 17, 2012, 12:04:58 pm »

I'm fairly sure modular* workshop are planned to be implemented /eventually/.

* Like in Evil Genius

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: December 17, 2012, 02:32:19 pm »

Will the "succession" work include making sure wildlife populations breed and restock themselves or will the main focus for now be civ populations?

Not sure if this was made clear at some point, but thought I might as well ask. Would be nice to not have to worry about for example fish inevitably dying out in embarks with fisherdwarves etc ^^

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: December 17, 2012, 02:45:43 pm »

Will the "succession" work include making sure wildlife populations breed and restock themselves or will the main focus for now be civ populations?

Not sure if this was made clear at some point, but thought I might as well ask. Would be nice to not have to worry about for example fish inevitably dying out in embarks with fisherdwarves etc ^^
In pretty much every instance of succession and the like, Toady has been talking about civilizations, and proper wildlife restocking is part of the adventurer skills stuff on the dev page, so I'd say that chances are that it's planned for civilizations and groups only right now.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: December 17, 2012, 06:52:30 pm »

Toady, are you considering any population/building prerequisites before a fort can be retired and remain functioning through ad mode and subsequent reclaim? For extreme example, immediately retiring with your 7 embark dwarves before building anything might not be enough to have the site persist as a "Fortress"?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: December 18, 2012, 05:39:41 am »

Toady, what with you working on the goblins handlers for their fortresses... i realise this is a long term goal and you'll want to do your own thing with them, but it is time. Da orc's! WAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:42:47 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: December 18, 2012, 06:24:03 am »

And that, children, is why you should only post sober.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: December 18, 2012, 06:32:12 am »

Hey, sometimes drunken posting is amusing and highly appropriate!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: December 18, 2012, 04:12:07 pm »

I agree. I actually laughed.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 748