Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3755458 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4680 on: December 21, 2012, 10:04:38 am »

No.
How would that work, exactly, when compared to timers like ThatAussieGuy's Tower of Armok doomsday sacrificial thingy?
I mean, I can already foresee the device activating prematurely when the fort is unretired.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: December 21, 2012, 10:53:20 am »

Same amount of ticks, I'm guessing. 72 times per day instead of one.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: December 21, 2012, 11:27:19 am »

The mayan end of the world?

Hey, what if some entities on the world generator also made predictions about the end of the world, just for fun sake?

Now that the world has ended is everything that happens from here on out considered non-canon?

:P

Seriously though. I'd like DF not only to have predictions of the end of the world, but then have the game actively work towards them sometimes. You can't really have a fantasy story generator without a way for a random hero to stop the end of the world. Or in the event the player decides to be a villain... you'd need ways to end the world.

It would be really neat to research the chain of events that lead to such an event as well. Especially, if it required many generations to make all the puzzle pieces fit together. Or if a player brings about the end of the world through seemingly random events that accumulate into some kind of progression.

Spoiler: "Rambling" (click to show/hide)

Granted with stuff like that... it is less of an if DF will get the feature and more of a when. I don't imagine it will be soon, since right now long term events don't really matter much until the game can handle better cause and effect on the short term. And doomsdays would be better left until the worlds can remain stable indefinitely.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: December 21, 2012, 11:30:10 am »

Incidentally, will semi-artifacts, e.g weapons which creatures grow attached too and achieve artifact status with, become implemented with NPC's? Clearly, the rules will need to be less iron-cast about using something else when it would be suicidal otherwise, and possibly other such things to prevent the world from being over-saturated, (edit: say such as they being artifacts in name only, but nevertheless having respect or fear for what they've done, though of course being coated with forgotten beast blood or being blessed could explain rather a lot)but damn it, i want to find long lost treasures someday. Not knowing what it was unless you had reason to would also be excellent, though there might be hints (hints which could also mean other things). On the note of long-lost treasures, as you're in the midst of reclaim right now, how about letting us choose how much later we reclaim, instead of one year? An excellent touch would be to have whatever overtook our fortress respond accordingly, and I'm very glad this has been touched upon in a DF talk. When will you get round to it? Also, when will we be able to find body's, weapons and armour laying about which we haven't left ourselves in the wilderness, rather then just fortresses? Of course, if others get there first it should also be taken into account. Also, as trolls have the can learn tag, when will we see at least some of the smarter ones developed further? After all, there's more then one way of taking them being goblin "pets", or the shearing could even be a consensual which they recognize the need for, though that should be quite rare. You'd think a smarter troll would be able to out-muscle goblins in a revolt, particularly if one of them was made to do a lot of blacksmithing.

When will we see what idle dwarves do being developed? After all, i rather doubt they only make friends and grudges. Chiildren might watch Army training and do stick fighting, adults paint, make bet's and play, develop useful technological treatment, writes how to guides on getting layed, juggling and the best use of snowboarding in a siege to a be delivered by zombie with a carrot, play aggresive calvinball (with axes) on the hill dwarves, write informative books on molemarion psychology for trainers, tell stories of their exploits and swear much vengeance; in other words, developing thier fortresses culture, which should develop as it does, complete with the original in-jokes of the embarking dwarves to the grand debate to resolve the conflict between the respectively vying mercantile, medical, varying religions, veterinary, and carpentry wings at to how to best resolve the plague of fiddles released as a warning by a inept previously unknown gremlin general wanted by most every nation in the world and the best use of the recently captured philanthropist and visionary mega-beast which may or may not be part of a wider family and is sitting right next too the greatest milker their race has ever seen, and a apprentice team of lye-makers led by 4 teenage currently prank warring boy and girl cousins, consisting of a sane, bitter female moleman, a male dryad with...drug? problems, a anthropologist male kobold with a sailing lust and manga hair and finally a sorcerous girly batman who has been raised well away from anything vaguely approaching this, and all of whom are looking at the mega-beast with interest. New players are arriving as we speak.

In other words, letting dwarves spontaneously do their own thing and having their own mini (or major) project aspirations which they'll do with or without your influence would be excellent. On a related note, I've heard that you wish to work eventually on language, and indeed there's already a thread on this, but given the complexity we wish to aim for, is there any way you could recruit some of the coding for this from the community? I may well be envisioning this completely wrong, but randomly generating situations and having the community pick the most plausible (vetted) responses to be uploaded in the next update sounds like an excellent forum game at least.

Forgive my wild enthusiasm  :).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:05:14 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: December 21, 2012, 12:18:09 pm »

There's no reason to put glow on your question.

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: December 21, 2012, 12:48:58 pm »

No.
How would that work, exactly, when compared to timers like ThatAussieGuy's Tower of Armok doomsday sacrificial thingy?
I mean, I can already foresee the device activating prematurely when the fort is unretired.
Retired fortresses would obviously follow the adventure mode timescale, as they would have no reason at all to follow the fort mode time scale.

Also, Novel, seriously, take the glow of your question. It hurts my eyes.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: December 21, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »

My apologies, thought it was the green button.
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: December 21, 2012, 04:03:31 pm »

When will the element of non-sneaking surprise come into play, particularly with climbing? After all, even if your not sneaking and are filing your toenails in a tree, you shouldn't be instantly given away to any bandit passing through, and the same should apply if you're out of their line of sight and not making any unaccustomed noise. After all, if they're surrounded by deer far off rustling grass shouldn't immediately get you killed. When it comes to combat, this also seems applicable, especially if you do something so utterly ridiculous they didn't react in time. Like a baby throwing a rattle at the eye of a demon, or a dwarf cutting off his beard to let himself free.

Most importantly: when will beards exist, and be tuggable and even... "RUN" rippable in game? I realize that coding such monstrous wrath is unimaginable, but you're the man to dare it toady, "OH GOD WHY"... perhaps.[/b]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:56:40 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: December 21, 2012, 04:04:09 pm »

Beards do exist, you just can't grasp them.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: December 21, 2012, 04:06:53 pm »

Which is the point, Putnam.  ;)
Reading a thinner book

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: December 21, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »

Incidentally, will semi-artifacts, e.g weapons which creatures grow attached too and achieve artifact status with, become implemented with NPC's? Clearly, the rules will need to be less iron-cast about using something else when it would be suicidal otherwise, and possibly other such things to prevent the world from being over-saturated, but damn it, i want to find long lost treasures someday. Not knowing what it was unless you had reason to would also be excellent, though there might be hints (hints which could also mean other things). On the note of long-lost treasures, as you're in the midst of reclaim right now, how about letting us choose how much later we reclaim, instead of one year? An excellent touch would be to have whatever overtook our fortress respond accordingly, and I'm very glad this has been touched upon in a DF talk. When will you get round to it? Also, when will we be able to find body's, weapons and armour laying about which we haven't left ourselves in the wilderness, rather then just fortresses? Of course, if others get there first it should also be taken into account. Also, as trolls have the can learn tag, when will we see at least some of the smarter ones developed further? After all, there's more then one way of taking them being goblin "pets", or the shearing could even be a consensual which they recognize the need for, though that should be quite rare. You'd think a smarter troll would be able to out-muscle goblins in a revolt, particularly if one of them was made to do a lot of blacksmithing.

When will we see what idle dwarves do being developed? After all, i rather doubt they only make friends and grudges. Chiildren might watch Army training and do stick fighting, adults paint, make bet's and play, develop useful technological treatment, writes how to guides on getting layed, juggling and the best use of snowboarding in a siege to a be delivered by zombie with a carrot, play aggresive calvinball (with axes) on the hill dwarves, write informative books on molemarion psychology for trainers, tell stories of their exploits and swear much vengeance; in other words, developing thier fortresses culture, which should develop as it does, complete with the original in-jokes of the embarking dwarves to the grand debate to resolve the conflict between the respectively vying mercantile, medical, varying religions, veterinary, and carpentry wings at to how to best resolve the plague of fiddles released as a warning by a inept previously unknown gremlin general wanted by most every nation in the world and the best use of the recently captured philanthropist and visionary mega-beast which may or may not be part of a wider family and is sitting right next too the greatest milker their race has ever seen, and a apprentice team of lye-makers led by 4 teenage currently prank warring boy and girl cousins, consisting of a sane, bitter female moleman, a male dryad with...drug? problems, a anthropologist male kobold with a sailing lust and manga hair and finally a sorcerous girly batman who has been raised well away from anything vaguely approaching this, and all of whom are looking at the mega-beast with interest. New players are arriving as we speak.

In other words, letting dwarves spontaneously do their own thing and having their own mini (or major) project aspirations which they'll do with or without your influence would be excellent. On a related note, I've heard that you wish to work eventually on language, and indeed there's already a thread on this, but given the complexity we wish to aim for, is there any way you could recruit some of the coding for this from the community? I may well be envisioning this completely wrong, but randomly generating situations and having the community pick the most plausible (vetted) responses to be uploaded in the next update sounds like an excellent forum game at least.

Forgive my wild enthusiasm  :).

I wasn't going to laugh or say anything, but then I saw that even your name is "Novel" and I lost my shit. Thank you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: December 21, 2012, 06:27:48 pm »

Oh, you know. Just waiting for VR  :).
Reading a thinner book

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: December 21, 2012, 07:08:03 pm »

Novel, you might wanna consider just greening the questions themselves and leaving the explanatory text uncolored. The whole point of the green is to keep things less confusing for Toady. It's tempting to do; I know =P
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: December 21, 2012, 07:47:51 pm »

Novel, you might wanna consider just greening the questions themselves and leaving the explanatory text uncolored. The whole point of the green is to keep things less confusing for Toady. It's tempting to do; I know =P

It's a good point. You're pretty likely to get an 'I'm not sure what you're trying to ask' out of Toady with a WoT like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: December 21, 2012, 09:44:07 pm »

No.
Retired fortresses would obviously follow the adventure mode timescale, as they would have no reason at all to follow the fort mode time scale.

Also, Novel, seriously, take the glow of your question. It hurts my eyes.
Won't that mess things up when you unretire the fort?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 748