Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3728884 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4740 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:11 pm »

Biomes are regions, in raw terms.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: December 26, 2012, 05:22:00 pm »

I thought of that because the same multiple-biome trick was used to obtain two sea serpents for Sphalerite's sea serpent farm (sea serpents had the same "1 per region" restriction). 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: December 26, 2012, 05:47:13 pm »

Will adventurers be able to (and likely to) form families in the place you retire them in? Also, can we retire human adventurers in a dwarven fortress?

If both of these are true, I may have an interesting question:
What if I retire a male and a female human adventurer in a fortress, will it be possible that they'll form a family? Will we be able to have a multi-racial fortresses that way?

Also regarding retired adventurers: besides being able to form a family, what influence will your adventurer have in the town he retires in now that the world is activated and history goes on outside of worldgen? Will our legendary mass-murderering killing machine achieve high posts in the civilization he settles in? You'd think that after killing 10 dragons, 500 bandits and depopulating entire goblin civilizations they would pretty much make that guy a king.

What about having your adventurer become a necromancer and then retiring him in a town? Would that work?
 Thanks!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: December 26, 2012, 06:25:43 pm »

How do you wish the magical tech tree to progress, given that you don't wish it to progress past the 1450 stage? After all, with the right mix of magical artifacts, anything could happen. Do you have plans for semi-megabeasts to form, yes, small, but existing civilizations? By all rights the minotaurs should be famed mercenary's of worrying repute.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: December 26, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »

Once the personality rewrite comes about, which combined with the army arc, and who knows even artifacts should make worldgen !!Lively!!, will longer gens be troublesome?
Reading a thinner book

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: December 26, 2012, 06:45:37 pm »

Will "tacticus" be a bar game, as mentioned in the old dev page?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:00:16 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: December 26, 2012, 08:37:49 pm »

Will adventurers be able to (and likely to) form families in the place you retire them in? Also, can we retire human adventurers in a dwarven fortress?
This has been talked about and is planned, but like most things that arent being actively worked on, there is no timeline. And you should be able retires Adventures any where.

What if I retire a male and a female human adventurer in a fortress, will it be possible that they'll form a family? Will we be able to have a multi-racial fortresses that way?
No inter racial forts. ToadyOne has spoken about them as a possibility, but again, no timeline.

Also regarding retired adventurers: besides being able to form a family, what influence will your adventurer have in the town he retires in now that the world is activated and history goes on outside of worldgen? Will our legendary mass-murderering killing machine achieve high posts in the civilization he settles in? You'd think that after killing 10 dragons, 500 bandits and depopulating entire goblin civilizations they would pretty much make that guy a king.
This was talked about in a Dwarf Talk podcast, but I cant recall which one. But the short of the answer is: It'd be cool if your adventure did have effects like that after he was retired, but the major problem is the game understanding your intent. While not being insurmountable issue, its a none trivial issue to solve.

What about having your adventurer become a necromancer and then retiring him in a town? Would that work?
 Thanks!
What do you mean by work? I'm pretty sure all retired adventurers, when met again in Adventure Mode, just sorta mill about, and you can ask him about his previous adventures. But they arent that a live yet after you stop playing them. Yet.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:47:15 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: December 26, 2012, 10:19:05 pm »

What do you mean by work? I'm pretty sure all retired adventurers, when meant again in Adventure Mode, just sorta mill about, and you can ask him about his previous adventures. But they arent that a live yet after you stop playing them. Yet.

Well, aren't necromancers supposed to go and start raising zombies and build towers? Will a retired adventurer-necromancer ever be inclined to take such a path? I assume they won't be able to, and just behave as they would now, but perhaps with the world being activated and all,  some other possibilities will be available?

This has been talked about and is planned, but list most things that arent being actively worked on. And you should be able retires Adventures any where.

No inter racial forts. ToadyOne has spoken about them as a possibility, but again, no timeline.

A bit of a contradiction here. You say that we should be able to retire our adventurers anywhere (and that should include the planned "un-retireable" retired dwarven fortresses), but multi-racial forts should be impossible? I think this information could be outdated, considering how things changed in the middle of the development for this release. Toady wasn't planning on letting us un-retire fortresses before, but he changed his mind at some point:
Quote from:  Toady one on 12/03/2012
I talked to my first retired fortress citizen yesterday, and I also went ahead with the unretirement of retired player forts. I expressed some misgivings about fort unretirement in the last Future of the Fortress post, and we'll see how it works out. The main issues are information that is altered for the adventure mode visitor and information that is just lost entirely during the retirement process. It isn't as big a deal when you reclaim a ruined fort, since you expect some rebuilding, but it might be more jarring when the reclaimed fort was left alive. The info in question includes room information, military stuff, burrows, that kind of thing. Theoretically we should be able to keep much more of it, but having an adventurer running around killing dwarves and stealing items could be disruptive.
Quote from:  Toady one on 12/05/2012
I also tested out retiring a dwarven adventurer in a retired fort and then unretiring the fort, and it basically worked out -- the adventurer was listed as a soldier without a squad, which I need to fix, and I need to tweak the items they are carrying, but otherwise they were a proper fortress citizen. If you hand your former adventurer an official position in the fort and then retire the fort and then unretire the adventurer, I guess you'd be controlling an official, but you wouldn't have any actual powers, since we don't have anything set up for that yet in adv mode. When I first started the adventure, I was expecting to have to walk from the main dwarven civ out to my retired fortress, but the game just started me in the retired fort. That kind of drives home that you are just being created out of thing air, but it makes as much sense as starting at any other inhabited dwarven site.

So apparently we'll be able to retire adventurers in retired fortresses, and they'll work as fully functional citizens probably being able to form relationships and families when you un-retire your fortress and start playing fortress mode normally. What he didn't specifically mention if we'll be able to retire humans and elves there, too. Or maybe he did and I missed it? Anyway, the gist of the question is that , if we really ARE able to retire human adventurers in a fortress, when we unretire said fortress how will they behave? Because we'll definetely be able to retire dwarven adventurers, that much I'm sure of.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:22:58 pm by Ribs »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: December 26, 2012, 10:19:51 pm »

He seems to be saying that he hasn't implemented retiring non dwarves to dwarven fortresses, but might do so before this release is out.

Quote from:  12/03/2012 Dev Log
The upside'll be being able to switch between forts (though you can't play them at the same time, and there's no guarantee of survival for retired forts), being able to do odd things like retiring an adventurer in a retired fort and then unretiring the fort with your new citizen (at least if your adventurer is a dwarf -- we haven't handled multiracial forts yet, though it'll likely be allowed)... and whatever else people come up with.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:25:25 pm by King Mir »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: December 26, 2012, 10:31:42 pm »

He seems to be saying that he hasn't implemented retiring non dwarves to dwarven fortresses, but might do so before this release is out.

Quote from:  12/03/2012 Dev Log
The upside'll be being able to switch between forts (though you can't play them at the same time, and there's no guarantee of survival for retired forts), being able to do odd things like retiring an adventurer in a retired fort and then unretiring the fort with your new citizen (at least if your adventurer is a dwarf -- we haven't handled multiracial forts yet, though it'll likely be allowed)... and whatever else people come up with.

He mentioned that he had not gotten to dealing with multi-racial forts, but it was seriously being considered for this release. Likely this would happen when he gets back to dwarf fortresses after dealing with the current focus.

I believe it is "1 gremlin per biome" and the question was why Toady had done that. One can make gremlins appear individually by setting another thing in the raws to 1, as with lions and other lone creatures (this doesn't prevent multiple appearances at the same time from different map edges, but its quite unlikely).

More generally, is any of the content from the old dev page not on the new one likely to make it into the game at some time or other, or has that been completely dropped?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: December 26, 2012, 11:36:37 pm »

Cool. So I guess my question about breeding humans in a dwarf fortress stands. I have another one, though:

Now that we have armies going around and wars are more fleshed out, does the nobility and other people that make big decisions now have more personality? You mentioned before that with the advancement of the military arc the lords would become more than appointed "desk officers" whose job is solely to give adventurers their little quests.

With the big lords having personal ambitions, and also dragging other people into their lifestyle I wonder if we'll see a proper "aristocracy" in the next release. When can we expect lords and barons having political marriages and creating their own cast, rather than just being peasants elected into symbolic leadership all the time? I can't wait for us to be stuck with a decadent, inbred, power-hungry nobility bossing everybody around the world, making trouble.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: December 27, 2012, 12:36:42 am »

After a bit of thought, I realized that if death and birth are tracked during fortress mode, would it be possible for your entire civilization to die out as you play due to, say, old age or famine, and result in you being the last of your civ? Would that result in the leader of your fortress becoming the king of that civ (whether it be the expedition leader, mayor, baron, count or duke, whichever you have)?

As far as I know, this is what actually happens during regular gameplay, and the update is planning to change that. It's something more akin to not pulling dwarves out of thin air but bringing them from the neighboring mountainhome. If they're all killed and all the other borders or fortresses are lost, then you lose.

Now that we have armies going around and wars are more fleshed out, does the nobility and other people that make big decisions now have more personality? You mentioned before that with the advancement of the military arc the lords would become more than appointed "desk officers" whose job is solely to give adventurers their little quests.

With the big lords having personal ambitions, and also dragging other people into their lifestyle I wonder if we'll see a proper "aristocracy" in the next release. When can we expect lords and barons having political marriages and creating their own cast, rather than just being peasants elected into symbolic leadership all the time? I can't wait for us to be stuck with a decadent, inbred, power-hungry nobility bossing everybody around the world, making trouble.

We already have castes of sorts, but they're no more than the aforementioned elected peasants. Maybe they won't be as complex as you're asking them to be, but right now it would be safe to assume that a lot of entity leaders (not just humans, mind you) will have a basic degree of motivation. What not with the bandits roaming, goblins out there causing havoc (just for the sake of it?) and the frightening HFS, now able to get out of their gates.

Boy oh boy. But no, not convenience marriages just yet.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: December 27, 2012, 01:59:38 am »

After a bit of thought, I realized that if death and birth are tracked during fortress mode, would it be possible for your entire civilization to die out as you play due to, say, old age or famine, and result in you being the last of your civ? Would that result in the leader of your fortress becoming the king of that civ (whether it be the expedition leader, mayor, baron, count or duke, whichever you have)?

As far as I know, this is what actually happens during regular gameplay, and the update is planning to change that. It's something more akin to not pulling dwarves out of thin air but bringing them from the neighboring mountainhome. If they're all killed and all the other borders or fortresses are lost, then you lose.
No, the current version does not track dwarves outside your fortress at all, so they can't die out. Presumably in the upcoming version, other sites could die out due to wars. Old age might be hard, because births tend to outnumber deaths, and dwarves never get too old to breed. It's an open question whether Toady will add famine for this release.

The answer to the other question is unknown too, since Toady has not specified how succession will work in detail.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: December 27, 2012, 08:33:18 am »

They will be historical figures, so unless Toady specifically excludes them from scheduling, they should be eligible to form relationships, marry, and have children, and most likely also migrate to other towns. You can already retire in any settlement, so what happens there depends on whether Toady gets to the multiracial fortresses for this release or whether he makes them some sort of friendlies, like lagging caravan guards.

Thanks!

Assuming no further work on necromancers other than to make them do their thing during actual play, what would likely happen is that the adventurer realizes that he is a necromancer and is supposed to go off to raise the dead and build a tower. Whether that is what you think as working...

More generally, is any of the content from the old dev page not on the new one likely to make it into the game at some time or other, or has that been completely dropped?
Yes, the old dev page is still relevant. It is simply outdated.
Quote from: Toady One
I wouldn't say the development page is a full picture of the new additions we plan to do as we continue, but they give a pretty good picture.  The core items, reqs, bloats and power goals of the previous pages still represent out plans for the game, and anything not on the new page is still fair game -- it's just the system itself that has been updated, because the previous system wasn't working well (not a single power goal was checked off, for example, and items often became outdated).

As King Mir stated, this doesn't happen. What you might be thinking about is the fact that, as you play your fortress, the world around it is static and nothing really replenishes, and when you then enter a human town, the historical figures in it realize that they should have died of old age several years ago, and drop dead (which shouldn't extinct anything anymore with the abstract entity populations, but I haven't tested that).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: December 27, 2012, 09:09:14 am »

When will we see more evil combat styles coming into play, particularly with those overseers you mentioned keeping the goblins in line? I'd expect indiscriminate collateral damage, using nearby "friendly's" as arrow sinks, execution of those running away, all that good stuff. Particularly nasty members of "good" races might even do the same (less openly; usually). On the other hand, will we see beings attempting to sacrifice themselves for dwarves they respect or love, rather then baby shields as we have now?
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 748