Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3735687 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4875 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:02 pm »

Will travelers detour along roads and through sites in order to avoid wilderness? Will they try to stay the night in sites, or will they camp in the woods and get eaten by bogeymen?

I know inns are certainly out for this release, but I'm wondering if people traveling for peaceful purposes on the map will plan their journeys differently than armies/bandits/dragons plan theirs.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: January 04, 2013, 03:31:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This could probably do with its own thread.
I actually started commenting about the goblings not eating and ended up forgetting to make the question I was going to make. :(

- I always wondered if you ever thought of implementing a "research system", where some things became available as certain dates or entities invent/discover/develop them?
- It would be possible to make motorized minecarts to haul/push other carts as opposed to having motorized tracks? You thought of that or think to implement it at some point?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: January 04, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »

This could probably do with its own thread.
I actually started commenting about the goblings not eating and ended up forgetting to make the question I was going to make. :(

- I always wondered if you ever thought of implementing a "research system", where some things became available as certain dates or entities invent/discover/develop them?
- It would be possible to make motorized minecarts to haul/push other carts as opposed to having motorized tracks? You thought of that or think to implement it at some point?

1. No.
2. Can't you already do that?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: January 04, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »

1. Okay... however I would like to get Toady on the line for that one. I suppose you answer is right though.
2. I don't think so.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: January 04, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »

ah i see, but theres gotta be a way to have goblins eat that fits with toady's vision of them. raiding villages and caravans is a way but wouldnt be able to sustain a whole civ. using captured enemies as slaves could work too or using less intelligent creatures like trolls, which are already used for their fur. goblins could also be made to eat sentients if they dont already, i could see goblins making dwarf soup after a sucessful siege.

I believe I read somewhere that the only reason goblins don't eat is because toady and threetoe want all goblins to die from being killed. I guess a possible way to have it all blend is if the goblins don't die from not eating or drinking but instead suffer drastic penalties such as being extremely weak,skinny, malnourished, and  anemic. Thus the goblin would stand no chance killing even an average civilian dwarf after starving itself for 10  months. If they're reasonably punished for not eating/drinking then I could easily accept a goblin's settlement/civilization.
No. Toady has explicitly stated that goblins will never need to eat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:45 pm »

Technological advancement has come up before, and Toady isn't generally opposed to it. The game already has notions of civ knowledge for animal taming and domestication, and according to the raws, individuals will eventually be able to research (some of) the secrets of life and death without divine aid. It is a rather contentious topic among the fanbase though - many people are opposed to "by date A invent X" and tech trees, and Toady himself has pretty much stated that tech progression shouldn't be static, or even a given - "Sometimes you should have an end of the world event rather than tech progression to a mundane age."

Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: January 04, 2013, 06:05:49 pm »

Awesome, I always thought that date x, invent y or "tech trees" are too rigid and false.

I made this suggestion for total war games for example:

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: January 04, 2013, 06:17:51 pm »

How about skilled people having a chance for making a discovery every, say, ten years? Then places with a certain specialization will automatically advance quicker in that field than others.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

snpaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: January 04, 2013, 06:24:21 pm »

ah i see, but theres gotta be a way to have goblins eat that fits with toady's vision of them. raiding villages and caravans is a way but wouldnt be able to sustain a whole civ. using captured enemies as slaves could work too or using less intelligent creatures like trolls, which are already used for their fur. goblins could also be made to eat sentients if they dont already, i could see goblins making dwarf soup after a sucessful siege.

I believe I read somewhere that the only reason goblins don't eat is because toady and threetoe want all goblins to die from being killed. I guess a possible way to have it all blend is if the goblins don't die from not eating or drinking but instead suffer drastic penalties such as being extremely weak,skinny, malnourished, and  anemic. Thus the goblin would stand no chance killing even an average civilian dwarf after starving itself for 10  months. If they're reasonably punished for not eating/drinking then I could easily accept a goblin's settlement/civilization.

That's what im getting  to, they still wouldn't need to eat to live but a penalty for that is not being able to be some buff, tough, super endurance having soldier. 

Also toady has stated goblins could still probably eat stuff but they would not  have to eat.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: January 04, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »

There probably shouldn't be a set system of dates for technology advances, because people will be forced to run their worldgen for long periods of time, although if there is a toggle for choosing between methods of technology advancement it would be acceptable.

When magic goes into the game, you may well get a system for actively researching magic within the game. Its possible to do this without a tech tree but the more abstract the thing becomes, the harder it can get to implement. Its easy to have fireball research as a tech tree, but if you want to make magical research similar to making a specific spell (interaction) in the raws there should be a good procedure for getting there.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: January 04, 2013, 06:34:56 pm »

That's what im getting  to, they still wouldn't need to eat to live but a penalty for that is not being able to be some buff, tough, super endurance having soldier. 

Also toady has stated goblins could still probably eat stuff but they would not  have to eat.

Anyway they do eat on my games and they seem to hold together just a fine as if they don't. I don't like them not eating either, but that's something easily changeable anyway.

About the tech thing, yeah, the x date then y invent is too rigid but also the simplest way, which is why probably it won't fit on this awesome game anyway. I wondered about this because now that the world is moving forwards along with your fortress it would be interesting to see some tech/magic advance be it on your own fortress or getting it by trade/siege, even if it's something slow.

I agree that it would be more spectacular if the successful civs are the ones that bring forward the tech advancements, specially dwarf. I imagine some dwarf inventing firearms (and getting it's name as a historical figure forever, maybe even a guild of inventors could be conceived) and then this knowledge is spread to all it's civilization, then to friendly dwarven civs, and then after many years and if it's allowed to other trading partners of other species (I see humans accepting them and evels getting shot in the rear) and then finally even getting stolen and reproduced by some of the smarter goblins.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:46:00 pm by LordBaal »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: January 04, 2013, 08:26:54 pm »

Who cares what they do in other games?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: January 04, 2013, 08:46:34 pm »

By my games I meant my own raws of DF.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:54 am »

I noticed in the latest answers there were lots of mentions about loyalty

Does this mean that loyalty to a civilization or other faction will be tracked like belief in a diety?

I can see a system like that forming civil war. Your site has lots of group and barony loyalty but civ loyalty across the group is low, and the off-site baron issues a decree ignoring a monarch's mandate, and suddenly civil war!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: January 05, 2013, 02:19:16 pm »

I wonder if, when random loyalty simulation gets advanced enough, we'll get dwarf revolutions against nobles who set draconian mandates.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 748