Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715141 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5130 on: January 29, 2013, 04:46:32 pm »

This has been argued to death in literally dozens of threads. It may or may not be added, but Toady will only think of it when he gets around to overhauling food, drink, and rest. Currently, the position is that it would be a big headache on how to implement without creating a huge processor hog (all the tons of waste in addition to the worn out clothes, random tiny items, fluids, spatters, etc, we already have).

Right now, though, you can still get that kind of gameplay in managing contaminants and refuse.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: January 29, 2013, 05:14:36 pm »

Ummm, I kind of would like an interface that isn't actively hostile before adding poops to the game.
Actually, as far as priorities, why don't we just keep that one way down near the bottom.  I'd enjoy more military options, overworld interaction, etc just a teensy bit more than poops.

Really?  Poops needs to be added?  I love that this is such a hot button topic that its already been debated into the dirt.  WTH is wrong with people.

-edited for cranky-
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:23:58 pm by thepodger »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: January 29, 2013, 05:26:36 pm »

Ummm, I kind of would like an interface that isn't actively hostile before adding poops to the game.
Actually, as far as priorities, why don't we just keep that one way down near the bottom.  I'd enjoy more military options, overworld interaction, etc just a teensy bit more than poops.

Really?  Poops needs to be added?  And why the fuck has this been discussed a million times before?  What the hell.  This isn't an 'eww poops' reaction.  This is a WTF is wrong with people reaction that this has been debated into the dirt and keeps coming up as a feature that needs to be implemented.
The primary reason it keeps being brought back is becuase waste mgm. is a major element to overcome. The othere reason is that waste products have imporant industurail uses. Urine reduction is still one of the main sources for N2.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: January 29, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »

To what extent will the move attack speed split be modifiable?  Would we be able to give each attack different speeds, ease of being reacted to and so on, or will it be a more basic 'This creature moves at this speed and attacks at this speed'?

Also while on the subject any chance of us seeing some attack examples to see the new tags?
  :D
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: January 29, 2013, 06:50:11 pm »

To what extent will the move attack speed split be modifiable?  Would we be able to give each attack different speeds, ease of being reacted to and so on, or will it be a more basic 'This creature moves at this speed and attacks at this speed'?

Also while on the subject any chance of us seeing some attack examples to see the new tags?
  :D

Toady has already stated that there will be both "warm-up" and "cool-down" times for attacks--so I could, for example, make a kind of dangerous forbidden technique that takes 1000 frames to wind up and 500 frames to cool down.

Also while on the subject any chance of us seeing some attack examples to see the new tags?  :D
[/color]

(just repeating that because I would love that)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: January 30, 2013, 04:25:34 am »

Well we have new factional information... does this mean that some goods produced by the conquered civilisations will appear on the trading list of their overlords now?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: January 30, 2013, 05:11:59 am »

Well we have new factional information... does this mean that some goods produced by the conquered civilisations will appear on the trading list of their overlords now?

And by extension, can we lose access to some goods if the suppliers are conquered?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:27 am »

And by extension, can we lose access to some goods if the suppliers are conquered?
Basically, how are trade routes affected by site contests?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: January 30, 2013, 05:37:43 am »

For the next release, If we, as adventurers, liberate a conquered town, will the game recognize its new status?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: January 30, 2013, 01:06:14 pm »

Now that there will be other forts running in real-time, (and also armies), will we be able to see migrant waves in Adventurer mode arriving at other sites, such as fortresses? Or will the sites not increase in population?
My English is bad and I should feel bad.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: January 30, 2013, 01:41:57 pm »

For the next release, If we, as adventurers, liberate a conquered town, will the game recognize its new status?
Is it even possible to liberate a town, or will the guards respawn when we leave the site, like they do now?
Also, can we enlist the citizens to rebel?

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: January 30, 2013, 04:25:12 pm »

Just that my Adventurers will now be able to encounter other creatures acting out agendas of their own other than "see Adventurer that isn't friendly to my civ -> attack" sends chills down my spine. This release is shaping up to be amazing!

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: January 30, 2013, 04:51:57 pm »

Shouldn't the conquered peoples eventually become assimilated? It makes sense for slaves and their descendants to possess goblin names, clothing, and ethics, I guess.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: January 30, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »

Names and ethics get already passed on to conquered peoples. Maybe Toady had to change clothing because conquered humans tried to wear goblin-sized clothes. Or maybe clothing is supposed to be a local choice, adapted to the weather conditions.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: January 30, 2013, 06:51:58 pm »

Is it even possible to liberate a town, or will the guards respawn when we leave the site, like they do now?

I am also interested in this. I would think that it would be possible at one point to force dwarf fortress to recognize that while in a town, the adventurer/whoever else killed 45 people. Even though none of them were historical figures, all of them were residents of the town. Therefore, the town's population count SHOULD go down from 255 to 210. I'd also think it'd be possible to realize that 12 of them were elves, 25 were humans, and 8 were goblins, and adjust populations accordingly. Next time the game loads the town, it should respect that by not generating more than (total population) - (# of historical figures present) non-historical figures.

Toady, with the succession and population information going in this release, will it once again be possible to track populations properly in this manner, and permit a town's population to increase or decrease according to population growth rates and player actions? This release or sometime in the near future?

I wonder, if it'd be possible to track population house-to-house, so that if you murdered everyone living in one part of the city, that section would be (nearly) deserted and new non-historical citizens would only be generated elsewhere, and track how many people it's generated in what locations so that only a total of 210 residents could still be encountered total, not just 210 residents loaded at the same time. Maybe that'd add too much bloat/things to track, but somehow it already has a way to decide whether or not a structure should be abandoned, so possibly that could be updated during play as well?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 748