Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714487 times)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5865 on: April 01, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »

Will it be possible to modify the layout of human, dwarven, goblin, etc, sites?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: April 01, 2013, 12:31:31 pm »

Indications are that, eventually, yes, but almost certainly not in this release.

BTW, thanks for the replies Toady!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: April 01, 2013, 12:39:31 pm »

but also not easily fazed ("doesn't care much about anything anymore") and can handle themselves in a fight.

Note that this is because COMBATHARDNESS goes up at a ridiculous rate in adventurer mode; getting hit can raise it by 2-4 points per hit (source: memhacking).

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: April 01, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »

Though it's not quite so ridiculous if that particular adventurer has carved a bloody swathe through the bandits and animals of the world.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: April 01, 2013, 07:48:28 pm »

It is pretty ridiculous when it went up to 100 over the course of a fight against a badger, though.

"I've seen some shit, man. The badger... you don't even know, man. That badger was just... god damn. It scratched my arm. Tore the muscle."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: April 01, 2013, 11:36:43 pm »

It is pretty ridiculous when it went up to 100 over the course of a fight against a badger, though.

"I've seen some shit, man. The badger... you don't even know, man. That badger was just... god damn. It scratched my arm. Tore the muscle."
That's some heavy shit, man.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: April 02, 2013, 01:09:39 am »

"The fucking MUSCLE. Do you know what it's like, being scratched that hard?"

"Anyway, let's go on to the next person. How about you, Udib?"

"I've had 3 children. One was impaled on spikes. The second was stabbed in the face by a goblin. The third was beaten to death by her own berserking father".

"Yeah, that's bad... but this badger was something."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: April 02, 2013, 05:09:41 am »

ToadyOne doesnt have any plans in the near future to put the town generation into raws. No strict to my understanding though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: April 02, 2013, 09:07:00 am »

ToadyOne doesnt have any plans in the near future to put the town generation into raws. No strict to my understanding though.
I'm pretty sure he has mentioned somewhere before that he plans on making the city rules into raws, but that won't be around for probably a good long time.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: April 02, 2013, 01:16:10 pm »

[snip]
Will there be any way to use a match as conditional? Example: to not try to add a tail if there's "TAIL" in the base creature.[/color]
do you mean "will there be exception-handling for duped raws", or do you mean letting the user say, via the raws, "if (creature already has tail) then {don't add tail} else{add tail}"...

Will world-generation errors be added back in as an available world-generation parameter?

Will there be an option to EXPLICITLY enable the reality-warping power of duped raws if/when you get around to stopping the issues with duped raws?

Yeah.  World-gen errors, for which 2047 or 2048 tall candy spires are not unheard of. I'd say more, but there's already a whole topic about it. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: April 02, 2013, 01:26:40 pm »

do you mean "will there be exception-handling for duped raws", or do you mean letting the user say, via the raws, "if (creature already has tail) then {don't add tail} else{add tail}"

The second. When I'm generating random creatures using variations it'd be nice if some of the variation tags were conditional to the base creature.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: April 02, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »

Dr. Urist McMephesto, Cheif Genetics Dwarf, "Here we have the the four-assed monkey, a four-assed ostrich, a four-assed mongoose, a mouse/duck, a gorilla/mosquito, a rabbit/fish, a four-assed frog, a seven-assed Galapagos Turtle, loads of pissed off turkeys."

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: April 02, 2013, 01:35:32 pm »

These tree questions may have been asked already, but I couldn't find them.

Will we be able to use whole trees as defenses? That is, will we be able to use a giant oak as a wall or a bridge?

Will there be stumps left behind after we cut down trees? I imagine that stumps would be kind of like boulders, blocking caravans.

Will trees have varying hardness, affecting chopping time?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: April 02, 2013, 02:28:36 pm »

Will the tree size directly affect the amount of resources obtainable from that tree? Ie. a large branching oak will provide way more wood than something more similar to trees currently in the game.

Simply since the screenshots you previously provide make those trees look goddamn huge (which is a very good thing imho).

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: April 02, 2013, 03:20:38 pm »

Can someone catch me up on the sheer quantity of stuff in this release? :P. I mean, new sites, trees, insurgencys, unarmed and what reads like greater controls to the point of deciding how to parry (YES!), tracking (with at least one example beyond the usual senses) and stealth, even Retiring forts, and all the hidden fun stuff we may discover, and i would not be at all surprised if I'm missing several other things!
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 748