Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3732260 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6435 on: May 21, 2013, 07:37:35 am »

2) I've always assumed that dwarves only getting one chance at lover/spouse was a feature and enjoyed it on that basis.  Are there any plans to change their behavior in this regard based on their personality and/or the start scenario chosen/assigned (and/or any other factors that may be implemented such as religion)?

And if this "second chance" happened while the first is still alive...then a cheated wife taking her adamantine spear to confront her husband and his new dwarfriend could be !!FUN!!, indeed :p

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:33 am »

Datost Channelhammers the Liquid Thunder of Quaking cancels seeking infant babyshield: gone Lizzy Borden.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: May 21, 2013, 08:18:27 am »

2) I've always assumed that dwarves only getting one chance at lover/spouse was a feature and enjoyed it on that basis.  Are there any plans to change their behavior in this regard based on their personality and/or the start scenario chosen/assigned (and/or any other factors that may be implemented such as religion)?

And if this "second chance" happened while the first is still alive...then a cheated wife taking her adamantine spear to confront her husband and his new dwarfriend could be !!FUN!!, indeed :p

And now for some statistics:
Adultery occurs in about 30% to 60% of the population* (in the real world).
Adultery in monogamous birds is at about 15%.

*Cheating on a spouse at some point in any given married individual's entire life.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6438 on: May 21, 2013, 10:09:51 am »

Birds don't live as long as people do, nor do they have complex social structures. It'd be more fair to compare humans to other primates, though I don't have those numbers on my desk right now.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: May 21, 2013, 06:33:48 pm »

The species of birds that are monogamous (mainly parrots) live about 50-60 years.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: May 21, 2013, 07:15:06 pm »

Modern statistics may also be colored by the availability of contraceptives, which eliminate a major consequence of adultery.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:02 pm »

Are we going to see some performance upgrades with the coming release, or as the coming release is updated in short order?

It sounds like the game is going to be tracking a lot more now.

Now that creatures leave tracks and we will not have trampled grass, will grass grow in mountain regions?

Latest devlog mentions that tracks disappear when spatter vanishes.
Is there a way to clear spatter and contaminents up now in fortress mode (i.e. clean command in "designate")?
Do tracks get handled as contaminants?
What kind of graphics are used for tracks and broken grass?

Hi all,

First off, I haven't had time to play DF in almost a year, but I've been keeping up with the devlogs and this thread, and the new update looks awesome!

Second, some context.  I typically like to play generation forts, of the type "you are the last of your civ..." and so I have a couple of questions related to that.  While I fully anticipate either "this hasn't changed" or "no timeline"-type answers, I thought I'd ask anyway since they seem somewhat related to the births/marriages/deaths part of the current development cycle.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

So the questions:
1) Have you (or are you still thinking about or planning to change this release) the seemingly artificial age limit for dwarf marriages in fort mode?  I ask because up through the 0.31 releases, dwarves in fort mode would only get married if they were less than ten years apart (yes, I did a lot of embarking starting with the initial 3D releases to test this once I identified the problem), but marriages generated during world-gen would have spouses with 20-30 year age differences.  I haven't played the 0.34 releases other than to familiarize myself with the new minecart systems when they first came out, so I don't know if it is still the case in that release.  But I do spend far two much time save-scumming during the first few seasons to get the right mix of ages and genders for all of the dwarves to pair off (again, I like generation forts with no new immigrants).  While this is probably a minor nuisance (if that) for most players, it will probably become a far bigger concern depending on the start scenarios (yes, I know those aren't planned for the near-term future, but at some point they will be implemented and Toady will have to think about things like this eventually). 

And now I'm going to sit back and see if Footkerchief's sentient search engine can point me to the answers to those questions.   :P

Yours,
-Dame de la Licorne

Edit: Fixed typos and clarity.

Are we going to see a general update on relationships in the near future (i.e. as the current release gets worked on after release) and how they occur, for example in entity or creature raws?

Case study: Dwarves remarry in certain circumstances. Massive revival (or massive intelligent undead) incident occurs, bringing dwarves back to life. What happens in that situation to dwarves who have remarried after being widowed?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: May 21, 2013, 08:18:25 pm »

Are we going to see a general update on relationships in the near future (i.e. as the current release gets worked on after release) and how they occur, for example in entity or creature raws?

Case study: Dwarves remarry in certain circumstances. Massive revival (or massive intelligent undead) incident occurs, bringing dwarves back to life. What happens in that situation to dwarves who have remarried after being widowed?

We're definitely going to see updates on relationships and personality, but it may not come for a while yet.

And of course a dwarf that remarries prior to their previous spouse being raised form the dead will be beaten to death by their ex-spouse. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: May 22, 2013, 12:50:25 am »

The species of birds that are monogamous (mainly parrots) live about 50-60 years.
Well, monogamy is actually not that rare among birds, there's many species other than parrots. Mind you, I can't give a lot of examples, nor do I know how long those ones typically live, so your point might still be valid.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: May 22, 2013, 01:26:30 am »

Birds don't live as long as people do, nor do they have complex social structures. It'd be more fair to compare humans to other primates, though I don't have those numbers on my desk right now.

As far as primates go studies have actually shown that the amount of adultery in a species is linked to the size of the testes. Gorillas for example have (iirc) the smallest testes relative to their size, since they have a secure harem to mate with and the chance of being able to sneak in and mate with a foreign group is relatively low. Chimpanzee on the other hand have really large testes relative to their size and other primates, and adultery is common in their societies. The reason is obviously that the more sperm they can inject into as many females as possible the greater the chance that the female will bear their child. Whereas the gorilla is relatively safe with carrying a smaller load since there's not much of a risk that anyone but him would mate with any in his harem.

Finally, humans have testes that are somewhere in these extremes in size and one can as such draw the conclusion that adultery is relatively common in humans but not completely widespread. If Dwarves were to follow this pattern we thus only need to measure the size of their testes compared to their size to be able to come up with a hypothesis about how common adultery is in dwarf society ^^

(I'm retelling this from something I read a few years back, but I'm fairly sure I remember it correctly :P )

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: May 22, 2013, 03:54:48 am »

I don't want to know any more about how you spend your leisure time  :P

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: May 22, 2013, 07:53:36 am »

UristMcJealous bashes Urist Mcbigtestes in the lower body with her bronze hammer, shattering the balls !
The bronze hammer has lodged firmly in the wound !

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: May 22, 2013, 08:21:15 am »

As far as primates go studies have actually shown that the amount of adultery in a species is linked to the size of the testes. Gorillas for example have (iirc) the smallest testes relative to their size, since they have a secure harem to mate with and the chance of being able to sneak in and mate with a foreign group is relatively low. Chimpanzee on the other hand have really large testes relative to their size and other primates, and adultery is common in their societies. The reason is obviously that the more sperm they can inject into as many females as possible the greater the chance that the female will bear their child. Whereas the gorilla is relatively safe with carrying a smaller load since there's not much of a risk that anyone but him would mate with any in his harem.

Finally, humans have testes that are somewhere in these extremes in size and one can as such draw the conclusion that adultery is relatively common in humans but not completely widespread. If Dwarves were to follow this pattern we thus only need to measure the size of their testes compared to their size to be able to come up with a hypothesis about how common adultery is in dwarf society ^^

(I'm retelling this from something I read a few years back, but I'm fairly sure I remember it correctly :P )

I remember from an anthropology class in college that the gorilla penis is all of 2 inches long.  Poor guys.
But I hadn't heard that particular research before.

Anyway, my only point was that adultery rates should be largely consistent with what we see elsewhere, and it has zip to do with social laws that we--as a sentient society--have created.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: May 22, 2013, 09:11:16 am »

It's a interesting one, the case of study above. However I think that in the case of a ex-spouse rising from the dead the least of the worries of the surviving one would be the jealousy it's resurrected loved one might feel for it's current spouse. It would be at least a lot less than the urges of it's undead ex-partner of eating its brains.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: May 22, 2013, 02:32:45 pm »

It's a interesting one, the case of study above. However I think that in the case of a ex-spouse rising from the dead the least of the worries of the surviving one would be the jealousy it's resurrected loved one might feel for it's current spouse. It would be at least a lot less than the urges of it's undead ex-partner of eating its brains.

Ironic to say "above" given it's the first post of the page.

OT:
How much can the fog visibility be reduced? Up to the extremely dense, only being able to see 1 tile? Can one go completely blind in the fog?
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 [430] 431 432 ... 748