Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3726263 times)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6465 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:09 am »

We could do that, but I think straying away from something relatively innocent such as sex (I only say relatively because there are variants of sex, adultery being but one of them, that can be seen as less innocent) for such reasons would be a shame. But then, I'm the type of player who wishes urine and feces would be added too, as well as discrimination, racism, sexism, and all that politically incorrect stuff. I guess I like realism in my fantasy worlds. Perhaps one of these days, I should try a mod or something, despite my preference of sticking to vanilla.

Anyway, I can understand leaving out racism and such things, but I still hope sex can be slightly less abstracted in the future, although of course it still doesn't need to be graphic at all. Just simulate it slightly more realistically -- you don't need to get descriptions of it akin to the combat descriptions that are currently in the game.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: May 23, 2013, 10:03:47 am »

Well as sex, as the act itself is out of the game (and I think it will stay that way), adultery could be handled simply by pairing a entity already married with another one by series of factors like proximity, likes, attractiveness (on the eye of the beholder of course) or whatever, and then applying a probability of actually being unfaithful, and then yet another probability of getting caught.

I too would like to have urine and feces added, or at least a general liquid and solid "waste" or trash at least, that way we would need to make plumbing and the opportunity of manure and yet another whole industry opens up too, but meh, DF is just as awesome as it is, and there are a ton of more important things that do are going to be implemented.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:55 am »

I believe that those wastes have been added already, technically.  I forget the exact name, but there's materials in the game already with names like "brown filth" and "yellow filth."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: May 23, 2013, 10:36:55 am »

And, more disturbing, the "unknown substance"

As for prejudice, it's planned I believe, and it's already simulated to an extent by having races go to war over differing cultural values.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: May 23, 2013, 10:44:38 am »

I dream of making public baths for dwarves and have the finest sinks and bathtubs for the most useful nobles. <.<

In all seriousness, having plumbing and some workshops requiring running water could make an interesting turn.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: May 23, 2013, 10:47:00 am »

You can already make plumbing. There are pumps and you can dig tunnels to use as pipes.

EDIT: Just thought of something. If necromancers can get noticed for not aging, shouldn't it take longer for people to notice if the Necromancer was already elderly to begin with? People who live a long time but also look old probably wouldn't attract as much attention.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:31:16 am by HugoLuman »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6471 on: May 23, 2013, 11:29:32 am »

There's three things that I really think people need to keep in mind when it comes to any kind of self-censoring in Dwarf Fortress:

1: Liberal Crime Squad. And the subgames, just consider I'm Voting For Myself, if nothing else. Anything DF does won't be breaking new ground by a long shot.

2: Dwarf Fortress will never be a mass market game. Eliminating features because someone might be offended is not a reasonable response.

3: MOMA calls Dwarf Fortress a piece of modern art. Who are we to argue? And since when has art of any era shied away from the coarser, more vital parts of life?

Dwarf Fortress has no reason to be limited by the small-minded blue-nosed Thomas Bowdlers of the world.

Incidentally, don't look for the Subgames.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: May 23, 2013, 12:07:08 pm »

Agreed completely.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:09 pm »

without fear of offending people.
Considering nature of this game and what already is in, I can only laugh histerically at this sentence.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: May 23, 2013, 12:23:54 pm »

You can already make plumbing. There are pumps and you can dig tunnels to use as pipes.

Yeah, but that's more like aqueducts that proper plumbing with pipes.

As for my phrase that make you laugh so hard .auditor, perhaps I chose poorly my words, I should have say "with Toady being comfortable". Since, in the end he's the one that have spoken against introducing feces and urine in  the game out of, among other reasons, making people feel uncomfortable and/or offended.

As for violence goes, we have many, MANY games on the market with "higher" levels of explicit gore than Dwarf Fortress, all within a varying degree of rates from teen to mature by the powers that be (and that I couldn't care less for their non-asked opinions).

But how many games do we have where your characters take a dump and then you can proceed to do a series of stuff with the turd?

Even considering the art status of Dwarf Fortress (something I can't deny, as I think is a masterwork even in it's current alpha state), we can't simply toss aside that for one, it's still a game, and two, ultimately the game (and we) are subject to what Toady thinks is okay and appropriate.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: May 23, 2013, 12:49:17 pm »

An aqueduct is plumbing on a grand scale. DF has proper plumbing with pipes alright, they're just large, sewer-sized pipes.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: May 23, 2013, 01:14:13 pm »

I tend to think in simpler terms: Toady will add what he thinks will be fun. Or !!FUN!!

I can understand the architects who want another aspect of fortress design to work with. I can understand the people who want romantic interaction between creatures. If Toady decides against adding those things, I hope that somewhere down the line, modders will be able to insert those things.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: May 23, 2013, 01:15:18 pm »

Hello all,

While reading the interesting adultery/cheating discussion that my second question apparently spawned, I realized that you all were taking it in a completely different direction than I had intended.  Then again, knowing the community, somehow I'm not at all surprised.  However, I intended the question to relate to the possibility that (some?) bereaved dwarves would eventually gain another lover/spouse (not the possibility that they would do so while their spouse/lover was still alive...).

And incidentally, with the recent devlogs which seem to indicate that ToadyOne is going through the pre-release finalizations, and given his recent predilection (at least for the last few big feature releases) for releasing the big ones on holidays, I anticipate a July 4th release (Independence Day for those of us in the USA).   :P

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: May 23, 2013, 02:47:58 pm »

If we get adultry, do we get incest?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6479 on: May 23, 2013, 03:08:59 pm »

If we get adultry, do we get incest?

I cannot reply to this in any method that won't get strange looks.
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 748