Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714685 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6480 on: May 23, 2013, 03:21:38 pm »

If we get adultry, do we get incest?

This may already be in. Can first cousins get married?

It can go in, as a method for succession in entity raws. There is a very high chance of that happening sometime. There are some far, far more disturbing things with relationships that already happen.

An aqueduct is plumbing on a grand scale. DF has proper plumbing with pipes alright, they're just large, sewer-sized pipes.

Dig out an intake for water from a brook, stream, river, or aquifer, and then dig a 1-tile downward stairwell. Dig branches off the pipe to where you need. Flood pipe.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: May 23, 2013, 03:28:56 pm »

As far as the plumbing goes, I was thinking more along the lines of pipes being able to be placed/designated inside the walls/floors and bring small, not drowning-inducing quantities of water from one point to another in order to your dwarves use things like proper fountains, fancy bathrooms and other things. Maybe a water clock furniture that needs to be placed on a tile with and adjacent water pipe running or something like that.

Or am I going too far with the reality emulation? Do they had pipes on buildings in the 1500's? I know Romans did have pipes
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: May 23, 2013, 03:33:40 pm »

I think Toady mentioned that there was a bug regarding inbred Kings being replaced by thier inbred heirs.

As for the whole adultery thing, if it is put in, I would at least like for there to be an ethic that can control it, so that for people like me that are very against it, we can set it to off. At least for Dwarves, we could always use more excuses to hate Goblins.

If/When adultery is put in the game, will it be controlled by an ethic option?
This would also allow for even more reasons for different races to hate each other.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38:57 pm »

Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you! ;)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: May 23, 2013, 03:43:12 pm »

Yes, yes, let the hate flow through you! ;)
I'm going to sig this now, thank you.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: May 23, 2013, 03:49:15 pm »

If/When adultery is put in the game, will it be controlled by an ethic option?
Almost everything will be raw controlled, eventually.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: May 23, 2013, 05:01:05 pm »

We actually already get some degree of intra-family romance. I found someone in adventure mode who said "such and such is my son. He is also my cousin." I couldn't get them to reveal who the hell they married, however.

Toady, will we be able to track ourselves in adventure mode? As in backtrack to find that place in the woods where we fought those bandits and forgot to pick up our backback and put it back on?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:09:05 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: May 23, 2013, 05:34:37 pm »

As far as the plumbing goes, I was thinking more along the lines of pipes being able to be placed/designated inside the walls/floors and bring small, not drowning-inducing quantities of water from one point to another in order to your dwarves use things like proper fountains, fancy bathrooms and other things. Maybe a water clock furniture that needs to be placed on a tile with and adjacent water pipe running or something like that.

Or am I going too far with the reality emulation? Do they had pipes on buildings in the 1500's? I know Romans did have pipes

Pipes have been around for a long time. Yes, the Romans had pipes, and the ballista was a Roman weapon. I think we can be pretty liberal with the cutoff time for additions. That's going to be the case with moving fortress parts.

Pipes will almost certainly be used for bathrooms, sinks, pools, fountains, submersible gates, and hydraulics, which would exist in more sophisticated fortresses. You'd have to embed them in walls somehow though - relatively easy on the surface when you can just dig up a trench, install pipes, and then fill it up again, but a harder underground.

The good thing about having the huge 1-tile wide pipes we have now is dwarves can walk through them when reasonably drained. These pipes are great places to hide rooms or storage chambers, too.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52:54 pm »

Well as sex, as the act itself is out of the game (and I think it will stay that way), adultery could be handled simply by pairing a entity already married with another one by series of factors like proximity, likes, attractiveness (on the eye of the beholder of course) or whatever, and then applying a probability of actually being unfaithful, and then yet another probability of getting caught.
I'm all for adultery because the idea of watching dwarfs in fortress get into disputes that are resolved by the hammerdwarf is what dwarf fortress is all about.  Also lots of epic conflict in literature, starting with the Iliad onwards. In general there's not enough internal conflict among dwarves for my liking.

A good opener for the fabled 'Army Mode' would be say a travelling merchant running off with the noble consort and the noble mandating the return of their wife/husband until you roll out with a troupe and retrieve them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:00:19 pm by Nicolo »

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: May 24, 2013, 06:02:00 am »

Hi all, I haven't been around the forums for ages, so forgive me if I'm asking stuff that's been already asked.

I had a sort of daydream last night about playing DF in adventure mode, but instead of heading out of town on a quest, I bought a house in town and became the local hunter. I would go out into the woods each day, track some wildlife, shoot one or two, then bring it back to town.  Then I would sell the carcass to the butcher, and spend the money on replacement equipment, food and drink for myself, and socks of course. Occasionally I would go to the town tavern for a drink, and I got into a relationship with a girl there and we fell in love and were married.  She moved into my home and we had children. I became a respected member of the community and was eventually elected mayor, where I enacted a few laws, raised a small levy on trade and sat in judgement over some minor crimes.

So the question is, how much of the above is possible in the upcoming release of the game, and will it all eventually be possible?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: May 24, 2013, 06:12:08 am »

I had a sort of daydream last night about playing DF in adventure mode, but instead of heading out of town on a quest, I bought a house in town and became the local hunter. I would go out into the woods each day, track some wildlife, shoot one or two, then bring it back to town.  Then I would sell the carcass to the butcher, and spend the money on replacement equipment, food and drink for myself, and socks of course.
This will be possible in the next release, except for owning property.

Occasionally I would go to the town tavern for a drink, and I got into a relationship with a girl there and we fell in love and were married.  She moved into my home and we had children. I became a respected member of the community and was eventually elected mayor, where I enacted a few laws, raised a small levy on trade and sat in judgement over some minor crimes.
Retired adventurers can get married, but not while you're playing (yet). All of this is planned for the future.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: May 24, 2013, 07:07:45 am »

The goal is that eventually you'll be able to do all that.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: May 24, 2013, 10:21:23 am »

This will be possible in the next release, except for owning property.
That's very awesome! I love the idea of playing as an ordinary townsperson in a town on the fringe of a war, and coming back from hunting one day to find it occupied by gobbos...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: May 24, 2013, 10:44:45 am »

On Plumbing:
I like the idea of treating large pipes in much the same way as axles.  Junctions could be more complicated than placing gears but that is fine.  It would be great for liquids and dwarves to use the same passageways.  There would need to be a 'solid wall with a pipe' section, much like the impassible square of the screw pump.  It is currently possible to form obsidian in a square containing an axle and the axle continues to work just fine.  This 'solid wall with a pipe' would also need a sister 'solid floor with drain' for completeness.

Indoor Plumbing:
Toilets and sinks could be treated the same way as levers, in that the ends get linked and the in between stuff just sort of happens.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: May 24, 2013, 11:31:01 am »

I was thinking more of pipes like in the way mine tracks or even smoothing or engraving works right now, you designate the construction and some dwarf comes along with the pipes and embed them to the wall or the floor.

As for things like toilets and such working as mechanisms, I have to confess I never liked the way mechanics (levers and doors) works right now, with the ethereal or wifi connection between them, are we ever going to be required to connect mechanisms on a more realistic way, kind of like axles works to connect machines?
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 748