Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3714469 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6750 on: June 09, 2013, 02:03:14 pm »

Will we be able to choose between retire fortress and abandon them?

I mean, out of siege times and all. Like one spring I decide I want to abandon instead of retiring the fortress.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:22 am »

Will syndrome be able to directly cause insanity?

I've been researching hat-making. From what I've read, mercury poisoning is just the tip of the iceberg.
Probably some day. As usual with questions about future future developments, the answer is likely to be a variation on "Sounds reasonable, but no timeline."

I would add that the current insanity is just a placeholder and will probably become a syndrome at some point in the future.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: June 10, 2013, 08:38:49 am »

Dwarf Fortress, the only game where mere, simple and humble placeholders mind rape inside out "full features" of other games.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6753 on: June 10, 2013, 09:40:33 am »

Well, it's more like most of the dwarven mind and soul is a placeholder that is constantly being upgraded.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: June 10, 2013, 12:02:25 pm »

Well, it's more like most of the dwarven mind and soul is a placeholder

Ohhh, sigged.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: June 10, 2013, 01:07:41 pm »

With the bug-fixing to deal with dwarves idling out for specific jobs, are we going to be able to get dwarves to clean up areas better now?

Do you think we will be seeing kobold sites and improved caves in the coming release, or is this going to go straight for download when the bugs and trees are sorted out?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: June 10, 2013, 02:09:58 pm »

With the bug-fixing to deal with dwarves idling out for specific jobs, are we going to be able to get dwarves to clean up areas better now?

Do you think we will be seeing kobold sites and improved caves in the coming release, or is this going to go straight for download when the bugs and trees are sorted out?

Quote from: Manveru Taurënér
Have you done any work on Kobolds yet and what ish do you have planned for them in short?

Nah, they are the largest yawning void left, probably.  Playing Kobold Quest is my only suggestion.  There may be other notes elsewhere, but I'm not sure where the twists and turns will bring us.

I'd say this points towards it definitely being planned to go in bar unforeseen complications :>

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: June 10, 2013, 02:48:21 pm »

I'd wager that for this next release kobolds will still be hanging out in caves in the manner they have for some time, but it'll happen. Someday...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: June 10, 2013, 02:52:28 pm »

Toady has stated that he wants to get back to kobold caves before the release, and since he still has to go back to site work anyway, chances are good for them. Not a guarantee, but the chances are there.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: June 10, 2013, 05:05:33 pm »

That would require the job priority rewrite, which is not planned for this release, but may make it in one of the bug fix releases, in much the same way as mine-carts did last year.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: June 10, 2013, 08:56:59 pm »

Just how many of the newly implemented features will actually be usable in fort mode? I.E will a hammerer now utilize non-lethal combat on their victim? How will woodcutters cut multi-tile trees? How will roots be handled?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:09:42 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: June 10, 2013, 09:05:25 pm »

Just how many of the newly implemented features will actually be usable in fort mode? I.E will a hammerer now utilize non-lethal combat on their victim? How will woodcutters cut multi-tile trees? How will roots be handled?

The last two devlogs have been about exactly this.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: June 10, 2013, 09:09:13 pm »

Also I'm pretty sure somebody already asked the hammerer one, and the answer was something like "no, that shit's supposed to be lethal." Too lazy to find a quote OR do a better imitation of Toady's voice.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: June 10, 2013, 09:30:29 pm »

There have been a few question about cutting trees and tree roots put to the Toad since the multitile trees were added, and the response has mostly been "I don't know yet" with a healthy dose of "I will try to make it be the way it happens in real life".  There will probably be something in the devlog when that gets handled.  There are also questions about what young trees look like, what the underground "trees" are going to look like, and how trees will grow during play (or if trees will grow during play at all this release, or just be a finite resource on the map).  I'm eager to see more about trees. 

I'm pretty sure the hammerer is supposed to be a sadistic psycho:
Quote from: darklord92
Will the inclusion of non lethal combat mean the hammerer and other executioners not be as prone to absolutely flattening criminals who they beat?

There might be incidental changes when the head is changed, but the use of a hammer is still lethal, and it is not their role to hold back.

You can always just take his hammer away (or just not fill the position), but something about having an angry hammer-wielding nutcase wandering your fort just feels right to me.  The state of "training" is one of the new non-lethal combat levels, so that sort of counts, but I'm pretty sure apart from that combat levels are switched off in fort mode:
Quote from: Sunday
What happens regarding the new combat and yielding during fortress mode sieges? First, do the invaders yield? If so, do they then retreat? What about the dwarves -- do they yield? If so, is it a military-only yielding, or fortress-wide?

Or are invasions/ambushes no-quarter?

It's all no-quarter right now, because we haven't added anything to deal with prisoners.  That doesn't mean people can't run though.
There might be stuff with brawls though.  No word on anything like that though so we'll have to wait and see. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:33:33 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: June 10, 2013, 09:47:03 pm »

There have been a few question about cutting trees and tree roots put to the Toad since the multitile trees were added, and the response has mostly been "I don't know yet" with a healthy dose of "I will try to make it be the way it happens in real life".  There will probably be something in the devlog when that gets handled.  There are also questions about what young trees look like, what the underground "trees" are going to look like, and how trees will grow during play (or if trees will grow during play at all this release, or just be a finite resource on the map).  I'm eager to see more about trees. 

I'm pretty sure the hammerer is supposed to be a sadistic psycho:

Ah, my bad. I actually meant the fortress guards and their non-lethal beatings. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 748