Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3731109 times)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6945 on: June 27, 2013, 04:13:20 pm »

If companions leave adventurer's party due to breach of agreement or other reasons will they set off to their hometown and can they be tracked down? If they stumble on a night creature's lair can they be attacked by it?
Rephrase:

If companions leave adventurer's party due to breach of agreement or other reasons will they set off to their hometown and can they be tracked down and murdered?

It's not clear from the devlogs if that will be possible.  If a single person leaving your party is tracked as an "army" (like the player and their companions are) then they should move slowly over the world maps and it ought to be possible to track them down.  It seems more likely that they will just teleport back to town (or wherever they came from), but it just depends how it's been handled, so we need an answer from the Toad on that. 

As for them meeting a grisly fate not perpetrated by the player, that is almost certainly a 'no'.  It's known that megabeasts/night creatures/whatever else have not been moved over to the new mechanics, and that they don't have their worldgen activities extended to regular play.  There has also been no mention of armies interacting with critters at all during play yet.  Naturally that's all almost certain to go in eventually, and it wouldn't require a huge rewrite to make happen, but the current goals seem to be to finish up with everything that has been roughed-in so far, and then go for a release. 

I would speculate that a lot of relatively low-hanging stuff like this (things that happen in worldgen but can't happen during play yet, and off-screen fighting etc.) could be the next set of features Toady decides to implement after this release, purely because it is relatively straightforward to head in that direction now that the world is no longer stagnant post-worldgen.  Then again, there are a pile of other interesting things from every possible direction development might take. 

On a seperate note, I'm looking forward to the devlog mentioning elf-tree-related bugs.  I would put money on trees piercing the underworld within the week.  All the good features in DF accidentally pierce the underworld at one point or another. 
where is up?

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: June 27, 2013, 04:27:48 pm »

Oh, thanks.

Quote from: 08/11/2012
  Lots of critters moving on the map now as proper groups rather than ambush chances, leaving a mess of signs that you can find. The night creatures and nocturnal natural predators come out when it gets dark and wander around their dens, and you can follow them back.

Yeah, night creatures are probably only leaving the tracks and maybe meeting with the adventurer's party itself for now.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: June 27, 2013, 04:38:54 pm »

I'd expect companions who abandon you to walk home, not teleport, by similar mechanics to how suiters move to the town their partner is in, which is in the upcoming release. They'll probably be safe from boogie men, bandits, and wildlife though, unlike your adventurer.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: June 27, 2013, 09:44:38 pm »

How viable is hunting and tracking animals right now?

Are caravan guards drawn from the pool of historical figures? For instance, can one of your retired adventurers return to a fortress as a guard?

Will adventurers start in their respective sites: Humans in towns and hamlets, dwarves in fortresses, and elves in forest retreats?

Will there be shops in the non-human sites?

Will you be doing kobold and other minor civ-sites?

Can drunks initiate bar fights?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:40:14 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: June 28, 2013, 03:39:45 am »

With the addition of retiring fortresses, can we now expect creatures not to scatter when leaving fortress mode in this way? If an adventurer visits a retired fortress, can he expect to find goblin prisoners in the dungeons, dragons in the treasure room and livestock in their pens? Or would he find the hostile creatures scattered randomly around the fortress, and all the pets dead, as it currently happens when one abandons a fortress?
To elaborate further on this question; will dwarves isolated in a part of the fortress remain in that part once the fortress is retired? For example, will a werebeast/vampire/regular dwarf that is completely walled off from the rest of the fortress remain in its prison once the fortress is retired, or will it somehow end up roaming freely around the fortress?
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6950 on: June 28, 2013, 04:02:03 am »

With the addition of retiring fortresses, can we now expect creatures not to scatter when leaving fortress mode in this way? If an adventurer visits a retired fortress, can he expect to find goblin prisoners in the dungeons, dragons in the treasure room and livestock in their pens? Or would he find the hostile creatures scattered randomly around the fortress, and all the pets dead, as it currently happens when one abandons a fortress?
To elaborate further on this question; will dwarves isolated in a part of the fortress remain in that part once the fortress is retired? For example, will a werebeast/vampire/regular dwarf that is completely walled off from the rest of the fortress remain in its prison once the fortress is retired, or will it somehow end up roaming freely around the fortress?

Same question for any beasts. If you build a sort of maze within a fortress, with FB locked behind drawbridges and/or an item somewhere, will it still be in the same place once the fortress is retired ?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6951 on: June 28, 2013, 04:42:07 am »

Goblin sites - check
Elf sites - in progress
Dwarf sites - to be finished
Kobolds - to be started.

Now that the trees are going to be dealt with, I hope we can carve out the interiors of trees for storage.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6952 on: June 28, 2013, 11:15:19 am »

Goblin sites - check
Elf sites - in progress
Dwarf sites - to be finished
Kobolds - to be started.

Now that the trees are going to be dealt with, I hope we can carve out the interiors of trees for storage.

We will be able to do a quantum dump/dropsite inside a 3x3 trunk withouth worrying about a collapse, that's for sure.

Quote from: My Name is Inmaterial
How viable is hunting and tracking animals right now?
It is pretty much advisable, one of the main features of the tracking system is the footprint imaging, which doesn't only renders animal feet but also pars of them that move at ground level, like snake bodies and even heads.

Quote from: My Name is Inmaterial
Will adventurers start in their respective sites: Humans in towns and hamlets, dwarves in fortresses, and elves in forest retreats?
Now that such sites are physical I don't see any restraint to be that way.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6953 on: June 28, 2013, 03:39:07 pm »

In the next release (or any plans for the future), will bandits ambushing the player in the wilderness still try to kill you, or will it be a lethal-with-quarter or non-lethal brawl with the intent to simply rob you?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6954 on: June 28, 2013, 04:21:51 pm »

Are there any plans for more interaction/syndrome triggers, such as severe injury?

I can only imagine the fun that would result from werecritters turning into their beast forms when they've been subjected to a good beatdown.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6955 on: June 28, 2013, 07:17:25 pm »

Please let the answer be "yes, and soon."

Werebeasts are a JOKE right now, because you can find their lair and there's only a tiny chance they'll be in beast form--and if they are, you can camp a screen or two over and just wait for them to transform back, and it's trivial to slaughter them in humanized form.

The fact that interaction/syndrome trigger additions can be used to create even more delicious Fun outside of just werebeasts is icing on this wonderous cake.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6956 on: June 28, 2013, 08:23:53 pm »

Yes... you're beating the crap out of a scrawny elf, but he pulls himself to his feet, turns around... and he has adorable beady gecko eyes!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

tyrannus007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6957 on: June 29, 2013, 08:10:28 am »

Whenever you attack a vampire, everyone else decides to attack it too. Villagers all charge it with their carving knives, and they usually overpower it pretty quickly. What did they need me for? It would make more sense for them to run away, and for vampires to be buffed heavily. Maybe arm them with weapons other than carving knives.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6958 on: June 29, 2013, 08:12:44 am »

Whenever you attack a vampire, everyone else decides to attack it too. Villagers all charge it with their carving knives, and they usually overpower it pretty quickly. What did they need me for? It would make more sense for them to run away, and for vampires to be buffed heavily. Maybe arm them with weapons other than carving knives.

I think the problem is the way how the villagers react. In a dwarf mode, civilians will run madly away from any hostile beigns - I think it should be similary in the Adventure Mode. What reason a random fish dissector has to fight if there's heroes and soldiers for that job?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6959 on: June 29, 2013, 08:32:00 am »

I'm guessing something like that happens in the new version. I don't think civilians will be willing to escalate fighting above brawl and will run away unless you corner them.
Pages: 1 ... 462 463 [464] 465 466 ... 748