Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3734443 times)

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7650 on: September 30, 2013, 11:44:16 am »

Bay12, lets try to figure this out: What historical person is that emperor dwarf? I'd say Frederick the Great...

Not historical, but Littlefinger from Game of Thrones comes to mind.  Cowardly, avaricious, treacherous.  Will be all obsequious until he's ready to plant his dagger in your back.  Just the sort to skillfully and creatively maneuver their way up to a position of power via any means, where they all end up living in fear of him and doing what he says rather than the other way around.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: September 30, 2013, 12:03:26 pm »

I'm excited :D

Dreams to see the natural wonders of the world?

Sounds Elfy, but bear in mind that Dwarfs have an appreciation for nature, too. They probably wonder at natural geological marvels such as Mountains, the Caverns, and the Magma sea.

I can just imagine the whole Gimli vs. Legolas thing. "I'll come look at your pretty forest, if you'll come see these awesome crystal formations in this cave."

Just accept it dude, only hippy dwarves have an appreciation for nature, others would rather flood the caverns with magma than marvel at it, especially with all the hideous creatures that crawl out of them.

I said they appreciate nature, I didn't say they don't exploit it's resources

After all, I'm sure they appreciate all that naturally formed iron ore :D
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: September 30, 2013, 12:24:29 pm »

So I've tried to map the new personality traits to the old ones. Some are straightforward, even with names changed. Some are more tenuous. Two I couldn't find any mapping for - emotionality (as in being in touch with your emotions), and cooperation (now a value). Some may look odd - Achievement-striving to Perfectionist rather than to Ambition, but I tried to go with the sentences as much as possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: September 30, 2013, 12:29:36 pm »

Quote from: Mephansteras
Now that dwarves can have dreams, will they get any particular benefit from achieving that dream? If a dwarf, say, dreams of becoming a Master craftsdwarf, will anything happen when they eventually do become one?

I haven't done it yet, but I'm not sure there'd be anything tangible or particular, aside from a large satisfaction/stress-buffer bonus, depending on their personality.  There are probably personality configurations where a dwarf wouldn't get much out of achieving their dream, or might even be harmed by it, but I don't know that that would be common, and the exposition would have to have something about what's going on there to avoid confusion.

Huh. I can see that. You get a dwarf who's finally achieved their life long goal and they go into a deep funk because now they have nothing else to strive for and everything just seems downhill from there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:52 pm »

If a dwarf has a fear or a dislike for something, say they really hate being outdoors... will they freak out if they go outdoors? If this is the case, if you were to get a migrant dwarf that was scared of the outdoors, would they not freak out right away and unable to move? Not sure how fears or dislikes will alter the behavior of a dwarf.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: September 30, 2013, 12:40:56 pm »

Quote from: Mephansteras
Now that dwarves can have dreams, will they get any particular benefit from achieving that dream? If a dwarf, say, dreams of becoming a Master craftsdwarf, will anything happen when they eventually do become one?

I haven't done it yet, but I'm not sure there'd be anything tangible or particular, aside from a large satisfaction/stress-buffer bonus, depending on their personality.  There are probably personality configurations where a dwarf wouldn't get much out of achieving their dream, or might even be harmed by it, but I don't know that that would be common, and the exposition would have to have something about what's going on there to avoid confusion.

Huh. I can see that. You get a dwarf who's finally achieved their life long goal and they go into a deep funk because now they have nothing else to strive for and everything just seems downhill from there.

Or perhaps their goal simply didn't jive well with their personality. In university I see plenty of people who are going paths in life that they obviously didn't pick for themselves, and probably don't really want to accomplish. This would probably come more into play if we ever get dwarven families or castes or some other force that would push people's goals in a different direction from their desires. It'd be nice to have people be able to get the benefit of being fulfilled in other ways, like a dwarf who appreciates nature roaming the wilderness as a hunter for many years forgets about his or her goal of leading and instead gets a message like "Is fulfilled due to his/her connection with nature."

The endless possibilities of the game are wonderful!
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: September 30, 2013, 01:19:09 pm »

Just chiming in to say thanks for the response Toady and keep up the excellent work!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: September 30, 2013, 01:56:58 pm »

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 04:22:05 pm by Putnam »

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: September 30, 2013, 02:55:36 pm »

Awesome stuff.

Just want to point out that 'overflated' should either be 'inflated' or 'overinflated' - overflated isn't actually a word.

I was thrown off by this at first too, but it's not like you can't figure out what it means, so I don't care :) .
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: September 30, 2013, 04:25:56 pm »

Awesome dwarves, there.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: September 30, 2013, 06:34:02 pm »

So I've tried to map the new personality traits to the old ones. Some are straightforward, even with names changed. Some are more tenuous. Two I couldn't find any mapping for - emotionality (as in being in touch with your emotions), and cooperation (now a value). Some may look odd - Achievement-striving to Perfectionist rather than to Ambition, but I tried to go with the sentences as much as possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wouldn't map STRESS_VULNERABILITY to "vulnerability"

Vunlerability means emotionally vulnerable, or "sensetive". STRESS_VULNERABILITY sounds like how well they can deal with stress.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: September 30, 2013, 06:40:09 pm »

@ Your future Emperor:
He personally is disgusted by tradition and would flout any he encounters if given the chance,
"You're treating a symptom. That's a symptom of society."
sees power over others as something to strive for,
"The world is a mess, and I just... need... to rule it."
disdains loyalty and finds leisure time wasteful.
"♪Look at these people, ♫ amazing how sheep will line up for the slaughter....♪"
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: September 30, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »

He also has no interest in learning about the world he wants to rule.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: September 30, 2013, 07:17:43 pm »

In other words: the perfect generic fantasy villain.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: September 30, 2013, 07:44:42 pm »

Thanks Toady! Just a few months left...

Also, that future emperor reminds me of a certain dictactor.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 748