Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3710182 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7875 on: October 29, 2013, 10:45:20 am »

Don't you worry about it Toady, we have waited for long, a few days more aren't going to be a big deal. Take the time you need.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7876 on: October 29, 2013, 11:49:36 am »

Entire months have passed and we've endured, why would we wince for a matter of few weeks? Hope everything's all right and better take your time, Toady. Thanks again for using it to shape a work of art.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7877 on: October 29, 2013, 09:38:17 pm »

Thanks to MrWiggles, Footkerchief, HugoLuman, mastahcheese, Putnam, Valtam, Knight Otu, Trif, lethosor, and anybody I missed for helping out this time.  If you don't see your question below, it was likely addressed by one of these fine people right after you asked it.

Quote from: smjjames
Will we see dreams going for a specific skill? One that is hopefully useful.

Also, will the dreams have some kind of effect on gameplay or are they just personality flavor right now?

That's the plan, though I'm not sure if that'll happen now or a little bit later.  I had wanted to do it, since it interacts pretty directly with dwarf mode.  I think I had an answer to the second question last time, that we're just aiming for happiness-type effects now when they are accomplished, but nothing entirely special.  Dwarves don't have a lot of choice in their work, so the chase for the dream isn't really under their control.  I'm not sure how that'll change in the future.  It would probably involve a wholesale gutting of the labor list choice thing, and some care would have to be taken there, since people still need to have a game to play.  As the "official will of the fortress", it would be neat to have economies that are controlled and ones that are free-wheeling, with different effects, but the more stuff the more work.

Quote from: mnjiman
If a dwarf has a fear or a dislike for something, say they really hate being outdoors... will they freak out if they go outdoors? If this is the case, if you were to get a migrant dwarf that was scared of the outdoors, would they not freak out right away and unable to move? Not sure how fears or dislikes will alter the behavior of a dwarf.

We don't have specific phobias yet other than the old vermin ones.  If you're referring to typical dwarves now finding "nature disturbing", the new values are pretty simple now -- it's a positive/negative scale, but the sentences have to say something, so a negative sometimes sounds like it might imply a specific phobia/whatever.  It's still something that needs to be fleshed out.  It'll be one of the big challenges of the philosophy/religion section, having the ability to address issues with more variety, and I imagine it overlaps with psychological quirks.  Then it's just the work of having that matter at those places where dwarves have the freedom to make decisions.  We're still embryonic at the moment, and while the values will be used in places that'll cause difference in dwarven behavior, I don't think there'll be dwarves broken down in front of trees quite yet.

Quote from: Paaaad
Thinking of trees, is there any chance of something like this happening?  [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bialbero_de_Casorzo]
In a similar line of thought, will we be seeing epiphytes in DF? If not now, eventually? Also I'm referring to things like bromeliads and some orchids. Although having moss and lichen growing on trees would be neat and would just be a description and perhaps a tile change rather than a full blown plant with complete raws. So, moss and lichen on trees would be doable in a shorter timeframe.

Having a tree like that is technically possible and would be supported by the current code -- the difficulty is hollowing out the center of the lower tree to open up a tile for the upper tree to grow from, and I don't think there are currently ways for that to happen...  maybe a fire that you control with water in some elaborate way.

MrWiggles brought up moss being in the game in a specific case, and vines are clearly necessary for a credible general fantasy game.  The existing moss is just a tile flag, but it would probably work better in conjunction with a fully realized raw definition and then we could just use the existing framework for grass, so memory wouldn't be much affected (and at the same time, you could then pick some/harvest some and have it work right).  I'm not sure when I'll get to vines...  at some point there'll have to be giant dwarf-eating flowers and stuff too.

Quote from: Person
If one were to make a tree farm underground, would the "cave in" mechanics break through and fall to lower z levels provided the level below is empty?

Like if the tree catches on fire?  I'm trying to remember when it still uses cave-ins for trees.  If you chop down a tree underground, it turns into projectile items, and those'll be floor-safe.  But yeah, if you get a cave-in on a tree, it falls as powerfully as anything.  I don't think there are different cave-in mechanics for any material, and there should be all sorts of things.

Quote from: haydenmuhl
Will goblins be automatically hostile to an adventurer? Is there any way to go to a goblin site to trade or get quests?

The main issue is that we don't have the justice system, which involves code for moving and incarcerating the player, so goblins patrolling their own sites aren't left with many options.  So for now, they will probably err on the side of murdering you (just as elves/dwarves err on the side of letting you in without issue), to keep their leaders protected and their prisoners secure.  They might engage in the generic stop routines we've got for a bit of show first, from bandit harassmnet, but they can't do much with it.  If I remember, we had a power goal involving trade with goblins, and we're still all for that, but not for this time.

Quote from: dmatter
Are there any plans to include things like multilingual exogamy (I know it isn't a priority right now)? I just think it would be a neat feature down the road, which could lead to all sorts of interesting situations with different civ interactions.

Example of multilingual exogamy can be found here: http://www.haujournal.org/index.php/hau/article/view/300

There aren't many specific plans, though we had some dev notes about difference in language being respected.  Right now, fort mode trade and adv mode reading/speaking don't respect language at all, so we have to start from a very basic place and move forward.

Quote from: Belvita
Toady, will adventurers have dreams/values now because of the new personalities? And what are the primary values of the other races? (i.e for elves, "Like others in his culture, he wants to preserve all plantlife."

We haven't done anything with adventurer personalities yet.  There are various previous discussions and the pros and cons and pitfalls there.  We've found in some tests that it can be fun and role-play-ey to have some personality stuff to monitor, and it wasn't too annoying or stifling, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

I still have to fill out the numbers for the other races, but yeah, they'd read like that.  The sentences are done.  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to be able to let any values float yet -- humans should have pretty random value sets, but I might not do that yet since it takes more text to support the conversations and it might shut down the few mechanics we have to work with (if there are no fights between villages, we need replacement stuff to do, which doesn't exist so much yet).

Quote from: Demonic Gophers
You used humans for your example, which have WALK, CLIMB, SWIM, and CRAWL gaits.  Will flying creatures have various FLY gaits that operate the same way?  Will creatures like snakes and fish lack WALK gaits, and be unable to stand up?

Is 'build up time' simply the number of ticks spent getting up to full speed, or the number of actions by the creature, or what?  What are the units for 'turning max'?  Does a creature have to attain 'start speed' to begin a gait, or can they enter any gait at start speed from a stop?

Does energy use cause over-exertion, hunger, or both?  How does it affect creatures with NOEXERT/NO_EAT?

Yeah, there is FLY as well.  The issue with crawling animals hasn't yet been resolved to my satisfaction.  It has been a long-standing problem with them vs. the "grounded" flag.  It's a large refactor, and I haven't dealt with it.  The most annoying part is the issue of unit occupancy, since you'd want to have multiple snakes in a square while suffering only certain grounded penalties, and still have them use their crawling gait.  So it just needs to be redone.

Build up time is the number of actions.  A creature sets its desired gait and builds up to it, but it doesn't go verbally through other gaits on the way.  Turning max is the number of build up steps that are retained if you move in a direction sort of but not exactly in the direction you previously moved, you can run in a circle to build up speed, but only up to the level of turning max, and if you start curving when you are at full speed, your amount of build up credit will drop down to turning max.  If your turning max is zero and there is a build up time, you don't build up any speed at all if you move in a circle.  If there is no build up time, you always move at max speed.  It's sort of convoluted compared to just tracking the physical speed/acceleration of the critter and doing some physicsy stuff about handling turning effects, but if I remember I had some issues trying to define it differently so I just moved on.  I'm not happy with the current system, but that's normal.

Energy is over-exertion.  There isn't yet a strong energy/hunger connection, aside from fat layers maybe.  NOEXERT would turn off energy use from gaits.

Quote from: assasin
I'm assuming that personalities will eventually effect pretty much everything in the game. Such as whether or not dwarves will steal from communal stockpiles or other dwarves once the crime arc is in.

If that's the case my question is how much will events affect or even completely change a dwarves personality. Say during a famine an honourable dwarf may not steal more than his or her ration, but if the dwarf has children will that same honourable dwarf feel that it is more dishounourable to let his or her children starve than stealing food from the community
Quote from: WarRoot
Can dreams be lost or modified, due to stressors? I'm thinking about, let's say two dwarves lose their family to goblins, one gets depressed, the other swears to kill the culprits.

The examples here don't necessarily represent a change in personality/value/dreams as we've tabulated them.  It's the numbers responding to different inputs with different outputs, or the same input going through different numbers and giving a different output.  There are gray areas among jobs, dreams, long-term goals, quests and all that, but yeah, I think dreams can change, certainly.  I think there'll eventually be large personality changes in play -- the greatest just being dwarves going from children to adults.  Childhood personality extremes should change as part of normal development and childhood dreams should change quite often.   Right now they start out completely formed, but it shouldn't be that way.  There's plenty of room for tragedies and epiphanies to change personalities as well.  Nothing happens now, of course.

Quote from: WarRoot
Do trees have their own vermin? (woodpeckers, parasites, that sort of stuff)

There's nothing like that at this point.  Trees should be homes to critters, but it's not the case now.  It'll be fun to have holes in the trunks with small beasties.

Quote from: CanuckMonkey
More generally, do you want/need/appreciate proofreading help? I don't have any in-game examples in mind, but I've been re-reading Threetoe's epic stories recently and noticed a number of typos that I'd be happy to catalogue and submit, if it would be of any use.

Yeah, I always like to cleanup typos we've posted.  PM'ing me a list would probably be easiest.  Thanks for your help!

Just out of curiosity, are there any new creatures in the next update?

As far as I remember, there aren't any.  There'll be a large number of new fruit trees and veggie plants, which'll sort of put them on the same footing as the real-world animals and real-world grasses and real-world minerals.

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
Will cities be repaired and rebuilt after siege damage in the upcoming release?

It's still in the release notes to have cities reclaimed by the AI during the game.  Right now, cities don't generally survive damaging attacks since there are no army fights.  There are occupations, which'll be reversible by your character, but those don't cause damage (though they are currently slated to cause site modifications).  I'm not sure for this time if towns will refill trenches and so on when normalcy returns.

Quote from: Novel Scoops
Will stolen/traded artifacts be tracked now there's somewhere to take them too?

I haven't specifically changed anything here.  There's also the matter of kobold sites being the one place that haven't been done.

Quote from: Novel Scoops
Can you run into other adventurers? Can they recruit you? On a possibly related note, can you conscript followers? Given our new-found vulnerability to numberless hordes, will world gen adventurers have companions or royal guards etc?

Now that there are plans to slow skill growth, will long-lived and otherwise extraordinary creatures use different metrics entirely? A 300 year old elf's sword-fighting prowess matched against a 130 year old mercenary vampire's axeman-ship couldn't be reached by a human legend, not to mention the difficulties in comparing the two combatants.

Will we have abstract control over hill dwarf settlements layout? If we do get some kind of united expansive fortress, will we be able to change which part we directly control? Sounds similar to next door retirements and reclaims as you offered in the DF talk, theoretically.

There's more than last time, but it's not entirely interesting.  Guides and mercenaries will be able to come along with you, with agreements, but you can't be hired in the same way yet.  You can get lots of people with you for a short time when you are leading an insurrection, or when you are raiding between villages.

I don't recall what the skill growth slowing is in reference to.  In any case, the issue of the skills of immortals is a defining issue in pretty much any setting where they occur.  We've whiffed it with world gen caps so far.  My problem with removing the caps at this stage is total game ruination.  We haven't felt pressed to address it at this point, and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

We haven't decided on the particulars for your hill and deep dwarf settlements.  Yeah, how much you are able to "move the camera" depends on how successful retirement and unretirement turns out.  I'm hesitant to say we'll be able to do much on the fly.  There's a lot of data and moving parts floating around.

Quote from: Jheral
Will there be more social effects of having artifacts being successfully completed by a dwarf? For instance, they might become more prominent and well-liked members of society after having made one, or become feared and disliked after making one with a fell or macabre mood.

I haven't done anything with that.  The dwarves' attitude toward fell mood dwarves in particular has been something we have in mind at times, but there aren't reputation-based effects right now at all, really.  Hopefully some of the adv mode changes are going to be preparing a sensible framework for that, though I'm not sure when it'll come up development-wise over in the fort.  There are lots of potential avenues, but those'll also involve basic development and might not get to the higher-up stuff (guilds, religions, fairs, succession, etc.).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: October 29, 2013, 09:42:52 pm »

Woo! Update!

How is the cat?
because we haven't heard of it in a while... I think anyways...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:49 pm »

Scamps is doing well.  It has been getting colder, so he has become a lap cat.  It's strictly a seasonal thing.  Once Spring rolls around, he'll be back to avoiding sitting on people.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: October 29, 2013, 11:46:11 pm »

That sounds like my cat.

Thanks, Toady!

Also, a lot less questions than I expected.
I'll pitch in one,
With the Goblins having "Troll shearing pits" in the towers, what would happen if you modded the game to put in a different race? Would we have empty pits, a lack of pits, pits filled with whatever shearable animals are available, or what?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7881 on: October 30, 2013, 01:37:31 am »

You know, with the new history continuing along after worldgen, will we recieve reports of events from merchants or even migrants? I'm just wondering since new events will happen outside of the fort while in fort mode. So, basically, will we be able to get news or rumors speaking of events in the mountainhomes or in foriegn lands, both in fortress and adventure mode?

It would be cool if we could and it'd add to the immersion.

Also, I suppose eventually the Dwarves (or someone) would have to invent the postal system or something.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:08:16 am by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7882 on: October 30, 2013, 01:47:49 am »

Scamps is doing well.  It has been getting colder, so he has become a lap cat.  It's strictly a seasonal thing.  Once Spring rolls around, he'll be back to avoiding sitting on people.

Lucky for me, I tend to radiate more heat then most people in my family.

I always have warm hands for example.

PeterisP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7883 on: October 30, 2013, 05:04:50 am »

Dwarves don't have a lot of choice in their work, so the chase for the dream isn't really under their control.

I can't agree with that - dreams (and phobia/aversion to specific kind of tasks) can fit the current order list.  There are two situations - if you have a list of jobs-to-be-done, then the dwarf can pick the first of his 'dream task' if there is one instead of simply the first task that fits the profession; and if you have a list of idle dwarves and suddenly a new task is assigned, then again it can go not to a random dwarf but to the one who wants it the most or simply is closest.   

It adds extra logic, and prevents implementing it as a simple-and-super-fast queue, so there can be a performance impact, but it feels possible.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:10:15 am by PeterisP »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7884 on: October 30, 2013, 05:53:18 am »

The question was referring to the impact of dreams on gameplay "right now".  Things should become suitably more complicated over time.  Job priorities, whatever that ends up meaning, are coming just after the release and bug fixes, so we should see large changes to how the job queue works in the not too distant future.  What that'll do for dwarven autonomy is anybody's guess at this point.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: October 30, 2013, 05:53:59 am »

Dwarves don't have a lot of choice in their work, so the chase for the dream isn't really under their control.

I can't agree with that - dreams (and phobia/aversion to specific kind of tasks) can fit the current order list.  There are two situations - if you have a list of jobs-to-be-done, then the dwarf can pick the first of his 'dream task' if there is one instead of simply the first task that fits the profession; and if you have a list of idle dwarves and suddenly a new task is assigned, then again it can go not to a random dwarf but to the one who wants it the most or simply is closest.   

It adds extra logic, and prevents implementing it as a simple-and-super-fast queue, so there can be a performance impact, but it feels possible.

I also see some players totally trying to match dorfs with their dreams. And killing those they can't match.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:21:14 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: October 30, 2013, 06:04:25 am »

I am not sure if this have been asked before but;

Will you get dwarf immigrants who lived in your other retired fortresses and can they potentially carry object with them to their new home that they owned or held during fortress retirement?

Will mercenaries and the like you can hire as an adventure have equipment and materials that reflects their preferences? For example a mercenary who like bronze might choose to have bronze armor and weapons. And if like maces he might choose to wield one. In fact, will they have minor goals like that, trying to get stuff that match their preferences and could one potentially hire them by providing or promising said items?

Lucky for me, I tend to radiate more heat then most people in my family.

I always have warm hands for example.

You must be able to bake some fantastic bread. Have you considered becoming a baker and compete in baking competitions?  :P
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7887 on: October 30, 2013, 06:50:34 am »

I am not sure if this have been asked before but;

Will you get dwarf immigrants who lived in your other retired fortresses and can they potentially carry object with them to their new home that they owned or held during fortress retirement?

That already happens with abandoned fortresses. The same goes for retirement.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: October 30, 2013, 10:00:32 am »

Would it be possible to introduce different designations for stone engraving? For example, filling a room with "Geometric Engravings" or "Citizen Interests" (likes and dislikes), "Historic Events" for halls of remembrance, or what  I'd really like to see- "Deceptive Engravings" where you could inscribe false events making your civilization sound mightier in the scope of history and other civs to sound weak and puny compared to your bearded might!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:03:47 am by gabrek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7889 on: October 30, 2013, 10:38:58 am »

You know, with the new history continuing along after worldgen, will we recieve reports of events from merchants or even migrants? I'm just wondering since new events will happen outside of the fort while in fort mode. So, basically, will we be able to get news or rumors speaking of events in the mountainhomes or in foriegn lands, both in fortress and adventure mode?

It would be cool if we could and it'd add to the immersion.

Also, I suppose eventually the Dwarves (or someone) would have to invent the postal system or something.

Yes:
Rainseeker:   Is the goal to have news get to you, so you can be aware that this might happen to you in the next year or two, that there's been a dragon that's being laying waste to the countryside and it might come by?
Toady:   It has to update you somehow, and it's got to mesh in with what we're hoping to do with your own armies eventually, which means showing you some kind of world map or of the surroundings or whatever that you're going to be able to use to order your armies. We haven't thought about it too much but if it's going to give you, like, a snapshot of the world as you currently understand it and then the next time a merchant comes you get to update your snapshot or whatever ... then it can give you the same paragraph or a related paragraph that it gives you at the beginning of adventure mode, so that it would tell you about what's going on a little bit.

Will mercenaries and the like you can hire as an adventure have equipment and materials that reflects their preferences? For example a mercenary who like bronze might choose to have bronze armor and weapons. And if like maces he might choose to wield one. In fact, will they have minor goals like that, trying to get stuff that match their preferences and could one potentially hire them by providing or promising said items?

Yes, it's planned to make preferences and other personality stuff show up in gameplay more often.  Not in the upcoming version though.

Would it be possible to introduce different designations for stone engraving? For example, filling a room with "Geometric Engravings" or "Citizen Interests" (likes and dislikes), "Historic Events" for halls of remembrance, or what  I'd really like to see- "Deceptive Engravings" where you could inscribe false events making your civilization sound mightier in the scope of history and other civs to sound weak and puny compared to your bearded might!

Suggestions go in the Suggestions forum, where there are already several threads on this topic.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:52:44 am by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 748