Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3715031 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8145 on: December 03, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »

Toady, will we have general commands to tell all of our followers at once to stay put etc., or does each companion need to be given orders separately?

Will companions that have been ordered to stay put immediately run off to chase down the first hostile they spot, or will they hold position defensively?

Also, I can already see how companion groups using the army organization system can be immediately exploited for hacking to forcefully occupy a city. Whether there's actually any benefit to it or not.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: December 04, 2013, 12:34:56 am »

To the person worried about trapped entrances . . . Taverns and Trade Depots are supposed to go OUTSIDE the Fortress.   :P Ideally for your Dwarves, this is where your stinking, foreign wanderer would stay. The main Fortress is for locals and migrants, which, sadly, you cannot be as an Adventurer. Yet.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: December 04, 2013, 01:09:02 am »

To the person worried about trapped entrances . . . Taverns and Trade Depots are supposed to go OUTSIDE the Fortress.   :P Ideally for your Dwarves, this is where your stinking, foreign wanderer would stay. The main Fortress is for locals and migrants, which, sadly, you cannot be as an Adventurer. Yet.

I immediately imagined a standard stubby dwarf saying "N'wah!".

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: December 04, 2013, 02:51:24 am »

I don't have anything new I'm happy enough with yet for screenshots.

we're hoping to get some meat in along the village/bandit leader + ruffian/hero/fighting reputations spectrums before the release, and not all town/bandit leaders will have the same methods.
Well, at least it still has a solid chance of coming out before 2015.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: December 04, 2013, 06:41:54 am »

The wait has hit the eighteen-month mark today, so...we'll see. Personally, I'm optimistic for late January or early February.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: December 04, 2013, 07:10:17 am »

With cool features like follower commands and inventory management going in I could wait a whole lot longer for the next release.  I think I need to read the new features document again, 18 months is a long time to remember what's gonna be in the next version...   ;)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

ozyma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: December 04, 2013, 07:49:56 am »

Is there any possibility of Nobility succession for fortress mode in the next release?

Being stuck in noble limbo really sucks the fun out of the game for me.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: December 04, 2013, 09:27:43 am »

Is there any possibility of Nobility succession for fortress mode in the next release?

I believe he said somewhere that they will.

I wasn't complaining, I was trying to find out how it would work for adventurers vs retired forts.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:31:31 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: December 04, 2013, 10:17:05 am »

How moddable will climbing abilities be in this release? Like are there tokens that say that they can climb or how well they can climb? I'm sure climbing will eventually be fully moddable, but just wondering at the current state of being able to mod climbing into other creatures.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: December 04, 2013, 10:24:01 am »

Toady posted some raws earlier.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:25:33 am by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: December 04, 2013, 10:32:48 am »

Oh, I missed the climbing gaits somehow, thanks.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: December 04, 2013, 12:05:07 pm »

I don't have anything new I'm happy enough with yet for screenshots.

we're hoping to get some meat in along the village/bandit leader + ruffian/hero/fighting reputations spectrums before the release, and not all town/bandit leaders will have the same methods.

Given all the development of leaders of small groups, are you considering making it possible for them to be independent civ's? Tribes, petty kings and all that jazz.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: December 04, 2013, 01:26:19 pm »

This latest devlog XD

If you want a picture of the future, imagine you playing Dwarf Fortress. Forever.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: December 04, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »

Short answer, it's in for next release, but things get tricky if the replacement is off-site. Word of Toad.

Quote from: Babylon
With the new inheritance rules will Baron etc and King be replaced in a fortress if they die?
Quote from: Mr S
On a related note, if we get this type of familial inheritance to on-site nobles, will off-site family be suitable candidates?  If so, will we be guaranteed their arrival on-site within X migration waves, or a special migration wave?

There will be a replacement, but it won't necessarily be somebody in your fortress at the time -- if it's a family position and the next person in line is off somewhere else, they'd get the nod, but this leads to the off-site problem.  I haven't addressed this.  I can't guarantee their arrival, since things can be complicated by their other responsibilities.  It's the sort of thing that should make the game interesting, but I'm not sure when I'll handle each of the interfering cases.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: December 04, 2013, 04:07:40 pm »

If you want a picture of the future, imagine you playing Dwarf Fortress. Forever.

sig!!!
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 748