Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2351837 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8160 on: December 04, 2013, 09:27:43 am »

Is there any possibility of Nobility succession for fortress mode in the next release?

Being stuck in noble limbo really sucks the fun out of the game for me.

I believe he said somewhere that they will.

To the person worried about trapped entrances . . . Taverns and Trade Depots are supposed to go OUTSIDE the Fortress.   :P Ideally for your Dwarves, this is where your stinking, foreign wanderer would stay. The main Fortress is for locals and migrants, which, sadly, you cannot be as an Adventurer. Yet.

I wasn't complaining, I was trying to find out how it would work for adventurers vs retired forts.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:31:31 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: December 04, 2013, 10:17:05 am »

How moddable will climbing abilities be in this release? Like are there tokens that say that they can climb or how well they can climb? I'm sure climbing will eventually be fully moddable, but just wondering at the current state of being able to mod climbing into other creatures.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: December 04, 2013, 10:24:01 am »

Toady posted some raws earlier.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:25:33 am by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: December 04, 2013, 10:32:48 am »

Oh, I missed the climbing gaits somehow, thanks.

Novel Scoops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: December 04, 2013, 12:05:07 pm »

I don't have anything new I'm happy enough with yet for screenshots.

we're hoping to get some meat in along the village/bandit leader + ruffian/hero/fighting reputations spectrums before the release, and not all town/bandit leaders will have the same methods.

Given all the development of leaders of small groups, are you considering making it possible for them to be independent civ's? Tribes, petty kings and all that jazz.

HugoLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: December 04, 2013, 01:26:19 pm »

This latest devlog XD

If you want a picture of the future, imagine you playing Dwarf Fortress. Forever.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine {Active again?}
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: December 04, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »

Is there any possibility of Nobility succession for fortress mode in the next release?

Being stuck in noble limbo really sucks the fun out of the game for me.

Short answer, it's in for next release, but things get tricky if the replacement is off-site. Word of Toad.

Quote from: Babylon
With the new inheritance rules will Baron etc and King be replaced in a fortress if they die?
Quote from: Mr S
On a related note, if we get this type of familial inheritance to on-site nobles, will off-site family be suitable candidates?  If so, will we be guaranteed their arrival on-site within X migration waves, or a special migration wave?

There will be a replacement, but it won't necessarily be somebody in your fortress at the time -- if it's a family position and the next person in line is off somewhere else, they'd get the nod, but this leads to the off-site problem.  I haven't addressed this.  I can't guarantee their arrival, since things can be complicated by their other responsibilities.  It's the sort of thing that should make the game interesting, but I'm not sure when I'll handle each of the interfering cases.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: December 04, 2013, 04:07:40 pm »

If you want a picture of the future, imagine you playing Dwarf Fortress. Forever.

sig!!!
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #8168 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:15 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The World is Your Sock

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: December 04, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: The World is Your Sock

Sigged! :P

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: December 04, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »

In reference to the new post about trading; do the dwarves trade in dwarf mode too?

Also, in adventure mode, will your companions be liable to trade away important items for food while with you?

Interesting situations.
Like your fellow travelers are weighed down with food after trading away all of their equipment that you gifted them.
Or that in dwarf fortress, the fellow who made an artifact trades it in for everyone in the fortresses stuff.
Well that's unlikely given that they would be one on one trades but...LOL

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: December 05, 2013, 12:14:10 am »

In reference to the new post about trading; do the dwarves trade in dwarf mode too?

Also, in adventure mode, will your companions be liable to trade away important items for food while with you?

I may be wrong, but I think this feature is only for player characters in adventurer mode.  So dwarves won't do it in fortress mode and your companions in adventurer mode still lack the agency to initiate trades by themselves.  Possibly.  I want to know, if I give my buddies a bunch of rocks to hold, will they give them back for free?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: December 05, 2013, 12:14:58 am »

It'd be neat if they did though. But I could live with it being just player agency.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: December 05, 2013, 12:16:30 am »

Sure it'll come along sometime!  In the new release people will actually be doing stuff in adventurer mode which is a first.  So I'm sure they'll be trading away soontm.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: December 05, 2013, 02:22:51 am »

I may be wrong, but I think this feature is only for player characters in adventurer mode.  So dwarves won't do it in fortress mode and your companions in adventurer mode still lack the agency to initiate trades by themselves.  Possibly.  I want to know, if I give my buddies a bunch of rocks to hold, will they give them back for free?
If you're giving out rocks, why limit yourself to friends? People you're planning to attack may be happy to hold on to a few heavy stones for you while you try to put a sword through them. . .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:26:20 am by King Mir »
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 748